Tender Co. Denim

braille_teeth

William, I love you. Every time I check this thread, I'm gobsmacked by the things, that you do. Please keep doing things the right way.

At some point I'll be discarding all of my other garb and only wear Tender. I just not there yet, but some fine day.

Bill.

Some info on this top?

Many Thanks

Thanks for asking! This is in production right now, so I don't have the sample to show you more details, but it's an evolution of the left-hand twill 'guard's jacket' from the SS12 production. Instead of the half-moon calico pocket facings this version has heavy english-woven flax (coarse linen) strapping across the pockets on the inside (you can see this in the picture). The front facings are in ecru cotton calico, and all the stitching is ecru cotton as well.

The fabric itself is really special- woven in england especially for tender, it's the same as the liner in the black logwood-dyed type900 jacket. It's woven from natural undyed black sheeps wool (from the Welsh Black breed), so it shows all the natural variations in colour of the sheep themselves. The jacket is unlined, so it's best worn over a long-sleeve shirt, but it's really light and wears a bit like a cardigan. I hope this helps for now....

as an interlude before some more AW12 and trestle shop products, olympic fever is with us :rolleyes:

the men's cycling went past our front door today, so deborah (who's american) and I got creative:

7663642780_721798c39b_z.jpg

7663642478_08e34a6e01_z.jpg

7663642166_f34cefd549_z.jpg

to be brought out again tomorrow for women's cycling....

Edited by rodeo bill

Are there any differences between between the Type 130 Woad dyed jeans and the Type 130 Purple Logwood dyed Jeans that I should be aware of? It's just that in photos of the jeans I've seen the Purple Logwood appear to have a very wrinkled finish whereas the Woad jeans appear to have a much more flat finish. Can this wrinkled finish (which I guess if from the dying process) be ironed out?

How different are the Indigo dyed jeans to the Woad dyed - is the colour more vibrant and deeper blue on the Woad?

Edited by cool_hand

here are a couple of pictures of the woad dyed type130 jeans compared with the purple logwood dyed type 130:

7395600358_bd9e90b9e2_z.jpg

7395584394_8b5c8f82fb_z.jpg

taken inside by the window, no photoshop. hope this gives you a clearer idea of the differences in the dyes!

^^^pm'd you about woad vs indigo. The logwood is a hot process, and involves the garments being squashed down in the dye more than the woad, which is a cool process, and a more gentle dyeing method. Both garments are hung to dry, and they're not ironed or steamed before being packed, as I feel this passes on the characteristics of the dyeing techniques the best. The wrinkles would iron out if you like, although they'll also soften into your own shape over a pretty short period of wearing them.

(ps, thanks Thor for the pics :) )

Hey bill

U know if any of your stockists have the blue guards jacket in large (3 i bbelieve)?

Also any more info/price range on the boots? They look exactly like what I was imagining for boots in my head!

Thanks!

Just received a brand new Purple Logwood Guards jacket in size 4 but sadly it's a little bit small for me.

Actually quite gutted as the colour is simply stunning.

I am going to post up details and pictures in marketplace later but if anyone is interested please PM me.

Now posted in marketplace :)

Further price reduction. SOLD

Edited by cool_hand

Hey bill

U know if any of your stockists have the blue guards jacket in large (3 i bbelieve)?

Also any more info/price range on the boots? They look exactly like what I was imagining for boots in my head!

Thanks!

Thanks for your enquiry- Large is a 4, and is in stock (at a very good price!) at OEN shop. If you want a 3 (Medium) it's at Lyon State

The boots disappeared really fast in the first run! Unionmade will be getting a restock in the next couple of weeks. Please could you check in with them for price?

If you need anything more feel free to email me, [email protected]

Edited by rodeo bill

A few more things have just gone up on the trestle shop :) Including some wallets, the same design and construction as the mainline but gold foil stamped with the shop logo (plautus' face on a trestle table). It's an excuse to show my own wallet, which I've been using for a few months now:

7699881362_b626741c07_z.jpg

7699877378_584716174c_z.jpg

Thanks to a few liberal coatings of boot grease it's lovely and supple, and has darkened a lot. The ring on the front was from using the wallet as a (rather unstable) coaster for a hot cup of tea. The foil is beginning to rub off, and is getting more and more subtle. My wallet was a test to see if it was a good idea to do a stamp on the front, but after a bit of time I'm really happy with how it looks.

the new planter looks great! what exactly is the purpose of the pebble? does it have something to do with the pot or is it to be used as a worry stone, etc?

Thank you :) it was a fun thing to do! The pebble is to cover over the hole in the bottom of the pot. You need a hole so that water doesn't collect at the bottom and rot the roots, but you don't want an open hole which soil could fall out of. I'd usually use a real pebble for this, but I liked the idea of producing my own! I also like the idea of it being buried and not seen again. As the pebble isn't a perfect fit for the hole there'll be enough space around it to let water drain, but not enough for soil to fall through.

are those white twill shorts you posted a ways back still available anywhere?

They went to VMC in Zurich, they might still have some- you could contact them to check. Otherwise Silver and Gold, in Osaka, have one pair of size 4 available online here

Another group of things which went up on the trestle shop yesterday, and which are starting to appear in stores, are prints drawn by my great aunt, Natasha Kroll. Here we are together:

7705463138_03f7449fc8_z.jpg

Growing up I only knew her as family, but it's been really interesting finding out more about what she did professionally. She worked for BBC television as a set designer and art director, on movies (including Alan Bridges' The Hireling, which she won a bafta for), and as the creative director for Simpsons Picadilly (now the big waterstones book shop). Simpsons' own-brand of clothing was DAKS, and I think she did some of the advertising for them in the 50s.

The prints appearing in shops are lifted from the sketchbooks which she made of designs for a never-made BBC film of John Symonds' The Stuffed Dog, a weird story about two little girls who discover a victorian ventriloquist's dummy, which wakes up, and speaks in her master's voice, having stolen it a hundred years before (so that he died dumb), before locking herself in a suitcase in remorse, only to be awoken in the 1960s. Here are some of Natasha's original drawings and a bit of typography:

7705545646_cdbcfa724d_z.jpg

7705547346_e32e7ca9c6_z.jpg

7705549242_f1ba91f949_z.jpg

7705549864_439b3805c4_z.jpg

7705551318_5fd14be8fd_z.jpg

Natasha's work is now held in the University of Brighton Design Archives. I've really enjoyed every visit I've been able to make to museum collections and academic archives in general, but Brighton's is particularly friendly and well kept. They hold 18 archives, across a really interesting spread. Well worth a visit (by appointment), if possible. These items have all been produced as a collaboration with the University, and the tote bags are also for sale in their shop.

So I'm planning on receiving a pair of 129 Unborn, but I think I want a full-leg cut. Are the new 132 with thigh pockets going to be available in waist 30?

^^^^thanks for the enquiries wgmds and liquidity. jeans are only just starting to go out, but the 132s with leg pockets will be available in the next few weeks from superdenim (uk), del store (hong kong), and a couple of shops in Japan. Please PM or email me if you want more specific details.

really liking the work in progress posts... hope to see some woodworking next!

Sorry this took so long! but here's a bit more about the trestles from which the trestleshop takes its name, and the leather topped tray.

both are made in england by this gentleman, richard, using solid english sweet chestnut. The trestles and tray are finished with oak bark-tanned leather tops, and everything's fixed with copper nails. These pictures were taken the last time I went to see richard, to make the finishing touches and collect the pieces. Most of the images are fairly self-explanatory, but I'll put in some notes if they're not...

We branded the middle board for each tray and the top bar of the trestles with a brass branding iron (heated up in a disposable barbecue!)

7746830576_e4ef6b9e5f_z.jpg

7746820260_1cafb2df65_z.jpg

7746801776_1d7198df82_z.jpg

7746812004_25db9f3818_z.jpg

the trestle rails were cut from a hide of oak bark leather:

7746711548_3aeae0b891_z.jpg

and then trimmed precisely on a circular saw:

7746793570_5024f8e27b_z.jpg

7746781406_66ca39f316_z.jpg

the barrels of the solid brass hinges stick up slightly from the flat planes of the top rail when the trestle is open, so the leather had to be hollowed out at the hinge points to allow for this:

7746783892_08786145f3_z.jpg

7746778486_9e9df90310_z.jpg

the last piece of the trays to be put together is the centre slats. the design is based on a fruit-crate, with an oak bark-tanned leather floor. the slats and leather are set into a rebate around the underside of the solid sweet chestnut frame

7746804598_a30472d777_z.jpg

7746766876_fabe57a4aa_z.jpg

7746763910_330307e8bb_z.jpg

richard uses a metal rod to knock in the copper nails, so as not to hit the sides of the frame:

7746758212_d73011e89c_z.jpg

7746755830_da32b84513_z.jpg

7746718270_cc175bb04d_z.jpg

more info about trestles here, and about trays here

^ :)

This week I was hand-dyeing some black logwood belts for Huzza in MI, and I thought I'd try some of the wattle tanned unstained leather wallets from the trestle shop.

Here's why logwood is also known as bloodwood....

7765720332_8ae85fba73_z.jpg

7765722122_151d1e5c09_z.jpg

7765724412_bf023e3bd8_z.jpg

7765729978_688631b478_z.jpg

wen they're well soaked through, I sat them out to dry. this is a really important part- they have to dry folded into the right shape, and the need to dry very slowly, otherwise they might crack:

7765736122_46e2646df9_z.jpg

I left them for a good 3 days, by which time they were really stiff. Out with the boot grease!

7765739508_8920bcf17d_z.jpg

7765742046_ccd035fffc_z.jpg

7765744936_ff33b697e3_z.jpg

I made 3, and they're online now, on the trestle shop