Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

This is going to be the RS04 and RN04 again, no tweaks. That run sold out so fast that only a small percentage of people that wanted the jean got a hold of it so it's being redone.

No news as of yet on the denim jacket.

Not sure about the 04 denim but if it's anything like the 03 (or most anything from Cone), it's not a "fast fader". Why save 'em?

Im kinda going against my own philosophy and babying them, its such nice denim! And the cut is so flattering on me. Plus I hate fast faders, i want the fade to develop over years of use like my grandpas denim (its weird he wears "grails" almost every day and dosent even think twice about it). So Im thinking of picking up a second pair, one to stock one to rock, but not if they are going to look like mall jeans after 6 months ya know?

sounds like you've been fed too much raw denim propaganda from hypebeast.

i try to wear my slimmer, more flattering jeans now because some day i'm going to get fat.

just wear the jeans and wear them hard.

also, roy should refuse you to buy another pair for comparing his jeans to "mall jeans".

Im kinda going against my own philosophy and babying them, its such nice denim! And the cut is so flattering on me. Plus I hate fast faders, i want the fade to develop over years of use like my grandpas denim (its weird he wears "grails" almost every day and dosent even think twice about it). So Im thinking of picking up a second pair, one to stock one to rock, but not if they are going to look like mall jeans after 6 months ya know?

They aren't "fast faders" by any means, esp. in light of some of the more renown japanese brands here on sufu. i'd wear them. i've got my rn03s (among others) in the wings when the ande whall contest is over. no need to baby them.

I don't have any of the newer offerings, but I've had my first pair going on 2 years (with about 15 months or so of wear) and while they have faded, they are still significantly dark.

Don't ever baby any jeans, they're meant to be worn.

I finally picked up some RS04 sz32 but, after going through this thread and looking at the fades and aging of this denim..Im not so sure I like how these evo over time.

I might have to return or sell for some Flatheads..

If flathead fades are what you are looking for you probably should sell and give somebody else the chance to enjoy these jeans. You're quite lucky to have snagged a pair.

Cone denim doesn't fade anywhere near the same way as flathead so you may be disappointed if thats what you are looking for. Personally, I much prefer the way roy's fade compared to flathead and would love to have a pair. If you decide to sell, let me know. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding someone to take them off your hands.

Well they're a lot hairier than I thought they'd be. How is hairiness and slubbiness different?

Also, is there a thread that shows the fade of cone mills denim? Because I do like Flathead for their fades, though the Roy denim looks amazing.

Why not keep them and get a pair of Flat Heads? For the last 6-7 months I've been alternating between some Flat Heads (F350s) and Studio D'artisans (SD 101s). They fade very differently but I like them both and don't feel either pair is better. I just appreciate their differences.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Also, is there a thread that shows the fade of cone mills denim?

The LVC thread, and the cultizm/LVC contest thread.

If you like what you're seeing with the flat heads, send the roys back and get a pair of flat heads. with the amount of $$$ being spent, get what you want, and don't try to twist a different cut or denim into something you want (and that it isn't). you'll just be disappointed.

I finally picked up some RS04 sz32 but, after going through this thread and looking at the fades and aging of this denim..Im not so sure I like how these evo over time.

I might have to return or sell for some Flatheads..

Fades, and what you like, are totally subjective. For one thing, Flathead is designed to fade pretty quickly, and it has more slubbiness engineered into it. Some people prefer that. The fluffiness has no real effect on eventual fade, but again, some people prefer fluffy denim, which is made from shorter staple cotton, because it's associated with denim from the 70s.

You are the one who has to live with your jeans, so if you prefer the vibe of Flathead, go with them, they're great jeans - altho of course, they will never be as unique as the Roys, which is really a true artisan jean.

And i've finally begun my journey with the Roy 04's.

0000001ox.jpg

0000002kb.jpg

0000003nk.jpg

I read that drying right side out and in the sun would cause colour discolouration and potential unwanted shrinkage, any thoughts?

Edit: as well as line drying, which may warp the waistband. Nothing wrong with drying laying down, right?

Drying jeans the right way around in the sun will cause no more discolouration than wearing them in the sun, unless you wear them inside out of course...

As for shrinkage, why do you think that would be different either way around?

Line drying warping the waistband....

Where did you hear all this nonsense? Remember, jeans are intended as workwear.

I read it on some denim site, off of a published article. After you put it that way, it doesn't make much sense to do all that.

After soaking though, the water was a rustic orange (I was expecting indigo) and the canvas lined pockets turned relatively orange. Whats up with that?

Hey guys, what's up.

Here are my buddy's ROY OGs. Worn almost nonstop since he got them, which was pretty early on for ROY, it still has the regular overlock fly detail, before the shell stitching. I have the same pair just a little larger, but it hasn't been worn as much.

My buddy doesn't really get into the whole wear 'em without washing them thing, so these guys have been washed a whole lot, but have also gotten a whole lot of love. They look great in person. This was right before I patched his knee for him.

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Edited by Festival

Hey guys, what's up.

Here are my buddy's ROY OGs. Worn almost nonstop since he got them, which was pretty early on for ROY, it still has the regular overlock fly detail, before the shell stitching. I have the same pair just a little larger, but it hasn't been worn as much.

My buddy doesn't really get into the whole wear 'em without washing them thing, so these guys have been washed a whole lot, but have also gotten a whole lot of love. They look great in person. This was right before I patched his knee for him.

any personalization (chainstitch embroidery) on either pair?