supertalk6
denimdestroyedmylife

arcteryx veilance

26 minutes ago, droffen said:

Had a closer look at https://www.altitude-sports.com/ today. 

Seems that most of new pieces from FW18/19 are not longer made in Canada. 

I know that pants (and at least Nemis jacket from SS18) are already made in China. 

Is this observation correct?

While veilance moving production to China, they still trying to charge twice as much in China. Thinking we’re dumb or what?!

smh

Edited by rogerhuangxj

3 hours ago, rogerhuangxj said:

While veilance moving production to China, they still trying to charge twice as much in China. Thinking we’re dumb or what?!

smh

The costs on their end are so similar either way that it doesn't make sense to adjust the retail price. The major reason to move manufacturing out of Canada is volume, not cost; Arc One (Arc'teryx Canadian factory) simply doesn't have enough staff to manufacture pieces at the volume that Veilance is now reaching for. It's very hard to find people with the right skillset to make this stuff; China, on the other hard, is full of factories with highly skilled workers that are happy to produce these garments at a larger scale.

It's not longer that cheap to manufacture in China; you'll note that many mainline Arc'teryx garments are now made in other countries—Myanmar, for example.

The Gore-Tex pieces from Veilance are still manufactured in Canada, but I expect they're looking to switch that over as well.

17 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

The costs on their end are so similar either way that it doesn't make sense to adjust the retail price. The major reason to move manufacturing out of Canada is volume, not cost; Arc One (Arc'teryx Canadian factory) simply doesn't have enough staff to manufacture pieces at the volume that Veilance is now reaching for. It's very hard to find people with the right skillset to make this stuff; China, on the other hard, is full of factories with highly skilled workers that are happy to produce these garments at a larger scale.

It's not longer that cheap to manufacture in China; you'll note that many mainline Arc'teryx garments are now made in other countries—Myanmar, for example.

The Gore-Tex pieces from Veilance are still manufactured in Canada, but I expect they're looking to switch that over as well.

You are right, actually sometimes I prefer made in China cause the quality is guaranteed. maybe not top notch but good enough most of the time.

But my point is that Arc’teryx set the price too high in China since the beginning, both mainline and veilance.

They need to embrace globalization and do something about it, cause the majority of consumers who can afford Arc’teryx are not stupid. We just buy from foreign retailers.

Why pay 1000 usd for a Mionn IS when you can pay just 585 usd? And I can’t remember the last time I saw Arc’teryx on sale in China, if it ever goes on sale here. I believe somehow they decided to make it more of a luxury brand than outdoor brand on Chinese market.

7 hours ago, rogerhuangxj said:

You are right, actually sometimes I prefer made in China cause the quality is guaranteed. maybe not top notch but good enough most of the time.

But my point is that Arc’teryx set the price too high in China since the beginning, both mainline and veilance.

They need to embrace globalization and do something about it, cause the majority of consumers who can afford Arc’teryx are not stupid. We just buy from foreign retailers.

Why pay 1000 usd for a Mionn IS when you can pay just 585 usd? And I can’t remember the last time I saw Arc’teryx on sale in China, if it ever goes on sale here. I believe somehow they decided to make it more of a luxury brand than outdoor brand on Chinese market.

My mistake, I misunderstood your initial post! Yes, prices over there are insane. Not sure why that is at all... A number of Arc'teryx designers have spoken out about this—it does seem like in Asia, Arc'teryx is positioned alongside LV or something. Very strange.

Edited by junkie_dolphin

Just want to chip in say, the prices over at Korea are indeed insane as well. I don't know if it's the case for other Far East Asian countries, but in korea it's generally thought the more expensive an item is, the better it sells because the society in general has a snob effect and ppl buy things not for one's taste/values but to 'impress' others. 

that being said, there are a couple of arctyerx outlet stores where they have some older veilance merchandise on sale but for never more than 40% off. 

Sneakersandstuff.com have a good Sale currently.

some of Last seasons FW pieces for 50% off from last years lower prices

Edited by droffen

For those of you who own Graph sweaters - would you recommend them? I'm looking for a sweater and like merino, but am worried about its durability given its price. I wear sweaters a lot so I was wondering if anyone could give their experiences on these? 

1 minute ago, dtradish said:

For those of you who own Graph sweaters - would you recommend them? I'm looking for a sweater and like merino, but am worried about its durability given its price. I wear sweaters a lot so I was wondering if anyone could give their experiences on these? 

If you mean the pullover, I don't own one because I've always found the top opening really weirdly big. It doesn't work unless you have the right shoulders, from what I can tell.

As for durability... it's merino, so if you're wearing a backpack or a sidebag, you'll likely experience pilling around the area where the straps make contact with the merino. I have three Graph Cardigans, and they all do this (though the shoulder panels help prevent this in the most obvious places).

If I were in the market for a merino sweater, I'd look to Outlier's Hard/co pullover (and forthcoming hoodies). You get the durability of cotton on the outside, and the functionality of merino on the inside. Great stuff, and super cozy.

I have a peat graph sweater in the old style and a new one in the alloy color. I prefer the older one because of the nylon shoulder panels that give it some visual appeal and help with bag straps and rain or whatever. The new one looks much more plain, I end up using it with no undershirt either because as junkie mentioned the neck opening is really big. So it's hard to justify as just essentially a thicker merino longsleeve. I don't own outlier hardco but I did have their doublefine stuff and it's really really nice. Feels really good next to skin compared to graph and even dyadic sweaters imo

Have graph in black and blue from fw17. Love these sweaters to death. Very cozy, haven't noticed any pilling and I wear them a lot. As branespload mentioned, the nylon shoulders do add a visual complexity that is lacking from the latest iteration. Would recommend.

Also have one in peat from FW17, definitely one of my favorite sweater. The merino / nylon blend is very durable, I've used mine quite a bit, gone hiking quite a few times with backpack and stuff and there's zero pilling. It's really warm though and depending on your personal preference, it might be a bit much to wear indoor in place where the temperature is on the high side (although this season's version seemed much thiner when I handled it in store, but I didn't wear to compare so others might opine). 

Edited by Kasper

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments, will definitely check out the Hard/Co stuff as well. Since Outlier's been mentioned a couple of times, does anybody have sizing suggestions for their bottoms relative to Veilance? I like that Outlier keeps a lot of their sizing stuff online, but when I compare the waist on my Veilance pants, they seem like they'd correspond to a 32 or 33 in Outlier's sizing?

Also another sizing question. Do most people here take the same size in the new Nylon cotton Voronoi as the previous stretchy Voronoi (94/6 material), or do they size up 1 or 2 for the newer Voronoi?

I've only ever owned almost every voronoi AR iteration but i've always gone size 32, which might not be that helpful of info since theyre not the same pant (pattern wise). I do know if you call up veilance customer service (there is only one true veilance customer service rep iirc, i'm blanking on their name) they can pull up patterns for you and give you any measurement differences.

Edited by shifty
clarity

On 2018-10-19 at 9:15 PM, dtradish said:

Also another sizing question. Do most people here take the same size in the new Nylon cotton Voronoi as the previous stretchy Voronoi (94/6 material), or do they size up 1 or 2 for the newer Voronoi?

It depends on your leg proportions. Waist measurements seem to be quite generous in the new Voronois but there is reduced stretch and more stiffness in the nyco fabric. If you have slim thighs, definitely go with the same size. Otherwise, it's hard to say. 

On 4.10.2018 at 5:13 AM, droffen said:

Sneakersandstuff.com have a good Sale currently.

some of Last seasons FW pieces for 50% off from last years lower prices

Used it to get an Arris in Rust. Really happy to have done it. Really a good commuting shell when it’s above 0 degrees Celsius 

I have the Arris and love it. My only gripe is that, due to the length, the bottom of my shirts get wet if I don't tuck them in to my pants. :( 

Does anyone else have trouble keeping the hood on the Arris properly over your head when its just a little windy, or am I not tightening the drawcords enough? Aside from that, mine is doing great today. It's pretty nasty outside where I am and I'm only getting wet because I decided to wear non-technical jeans...

You aren't tightening enough. It is a bit of a kite though, have to use the drawstrings a bit more than I'd like.