haptronic

Skull Jeans by An Alchemist

I agree, beautiful evo and nice to see some Skull activity, chambo2008!

thank you guys, i am pretty sure they are i got them back in 2008 so my first japanese denim, i still have the brown pair and a black that are too small for me (29) :( if anyone had 30 or 31 in the black denim that would be great :)

So, while I understand current Skull 5010xx to be at least partially sanforized, can I ask how people have sized them? I'm usually a 32 in Flat Head for example, which is my TTS. Skull 32s seem a bit big for me starting at 33.5 inches, according to BiG. Can I size down to the 31 and get some stretch out of them? It sounds like they don't shrink much when they get wet, as they aren't true "shrink to fit" in that sense. 

Edited by Aviv

Just bought and received a pair of 5507xx from BIG. 

Im a bit disappointed at the denim from the initial feel. It's thick and soft but definitely not crunchy? like my 5010xx. The buttonholes were unnecessarily difficult to button up the jeans and seemed like the holes themselves wasn't cut properly. Threads seem a bit different as well. 

I'm hoping that this will change after I put some decent wear into these jeans

edit: THIS IS NOTHING AGAINST BIG. Great service and pleasant experience as being my first purchase with them!

Edited by noobedloser

Although the denim of Skull Jeans n sanforized you can give them a soak/wash. They will still shrink a significant amount and the fabric opens up. Right now it feels rather smooth and slick, right?

I was tempted to nab a pair of Skulls from the BiG sale but the hem on their jeans is huge

I bought a one wash 5000xx from big's sale last spring and put it into rotation in like October? Been wearing most evenings and during the day about 3-4x per week. This denim is really stubborn to fade. Not sure if their unsanforized denim is different or if the one wash process slowed things down though. 

Bought a pair of skull 5507xx 6x6 jeans on sale from BIG but need to sell it. Size 30 with a 32in inseam. Let me know if interested!

Edited by noobedloser

This is an old pair worn heavily from 2010-2014. I don't get to wear denim too frequently anymore, and when I do I am putting in more time into my samurai's and flatheads now, but I still really like this pair and they have a lot of life left in em.

5010xx texas cotton, sz 33. Hemmed to 31". Washed around 6 times iirc.

Wonderful denim evo seen here DaTruth1

Keep them alive for ever

I went and picked up my Skull 5010 posted above. It’s a local shop here in Columbus and the really cool thing is they have the red tab. The owner told me that they accidentally sent him the Japan model and told him to cut off the tag which he didn’t. Will post fit pix after hem

PS

As long as you can deal with a 9” rise I’d say go for it. Already warned the wife to be prepared for my ass crack hanging out all spring. Any high rise undies anyone can send me a link too?

Edited by The Chad
Update

On 2/24/2018 at 10:25 PM, The Chad said:

I went and picked up my Skull 5010 posted above. It’s a local shop here in Columbus and the really cool thing is they have the red tab. The owner told me that they accidentally sent him the Japan model and told him to cut off the tag which he didn’t. Will post fit pix after hem

PS

As long as you can deal with a 9” rise I’d say go for it. Already warned the wife to be prepared for my ass crack hanging out all spring. Any high rise undies anyone can send me a link too?

I also picked up a pair. I had a pair of these about 10 years ago, and the difference in cotton choice is interesting -- the old Texas cotton version was noticeably hairy and stiff like steel wool, while these new Arizona/California pima cotton variants are softer to the touch (relatively speaking) and less hairy, but much more indigo-saturated from what I remember. Still the same good slim cut with almost comically large back pockets and stubbornly shallow front pockets. $140 for these is a steal.

Also, Uniqlo for good higher rise boxer briefs.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:28 PM, enojy said:

I also picked up a pair. I had a pair of these about 10 years ago, and the difference in cotton choice is interesting -- the old Texas cotton version was noticeably hairy and stiff like steel wool, while these new Arizona/California pima cotton variants are softer to the touch (relatively speaking) and less hairy, but much more indigo-saturated from what I remember. Still the same good slim cut with almost comically large back pockets and stubbornly shallow front pockets. $140 for these is a steal.

Also, Uniqlo for good higher rise boxer briefs.

Yea, they seem almost to be an overdye with the way the denim is saturated. Glad someone else went in on them as I thought the deal was outrageous. I’m pretty happy with them and I’ll be checking out those drawers :) 

Skulls only worn on special occasions in need of major repairs 

IMG_20180304_194224-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20180304_194238-756x1008.jpg

just bought my 1st pair of realy nice Skull 5002xx WWII jeans at a more than reasonable price. I am impressed by the heavy denim. Does anyone how much it is? I would assume at least 15oz. anyway I wonder why skull lost its popularity alond SuFu!?

The 5002xx is 14.5oz.

I think SuFu in general has lost steam compared to a few years ago, and the current crowd isn't especially after that skull has to offer.  I'd say it also doesn't help that they don't offer much variety. Still like the 5010s though!

I think it happened when Self Edge stopped selling them a few years back and was further compounded when BiG did likewise some time after.

Yeah when Self Edge stopped carrying Skull, it absolutely obliterated the popularity of the brand. But there were lots of complaints about quality, the fabric changing to a smoother, less interesting denim, etc. that contributed to it as well.

Today, it seems like there are vastly more options available to western denim fans that offer something similar to Skull or better. At the time there weren't many options for slim tapered selvedge jeans, and denimheads hadn't really come to a strong preference for unsanforized and rougher fabrics. Obviously all of that's changed.

A lot of those early popular raw brands in the west like Skull, Imperial, Cheap Monday, April77 etc. have fallen out of favor due to Japan Blue, N&F/Unbranded, Gustin, Bravestar, etc. 

I think Imperial are no longer in existence, however, I wouldn’t associate Skull with Cheap Monday and April77 or the implied competition from N&F, Agustin, etc. They are (or at least, were) a proper repro denim brand that also offered more modern cuts and options.

Posted (edited)

Brown worn but hard to fade...

IMG_20190321_215833.jpg

MVIMG_20190321_215855.jpg

Edited by chambo2008

True that Skull has some more repro type stuff, but was anyone on here wearing that? I just remember seeing lots of high-contrast 5010s. There are a lot more slim selvedge options out there these days, so Skull seemed to lose their niche in the west on top of the QC issues/bad publicity. If I was looking for tight selvedge jeans for a high contrast fade, Japan Blue or N&F get you that at a cheaper price than Skull, and if I want a repro, something like TCB, Sugar Cane, or Warehouse would seem to be much more classic/accurate.

skull 5010 has pretty much the perfect slim straight cut for asian legs. quite convinced some of the early indonesian denim "artisans" simply copied the cut. good thinking i say.

thank you folks for sharing some light into this. i just wondered, beeing a member of sufu for many years i remember a time when this thread was ubiquitous.

Outta rep.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:15 PM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

just bought my 1st pair of realy nice Skull 5002xx WWII jeans at a more than reasonable price. I am impressed by the heavy denim. Does anyone how much it is? I would assume at least 15oz. anyway I wonder why skull lost its popularity alond SuFu!?

I need a size 36 5002 model do you know where to buy one?