Ooe-Yofukuten & Co.

I wear a 34 in TCB 50s and 36 in Ooe 01.  The top blocks are fairly similar in both pairs (of different tag sizes) but the TCBs are a bit wider from the thigh down.  The overall line of the two cuts is pretty similar though the TCB is wider below the top block.  If I were to compare size 34-to-34 or 36-to-36, the Ooes would be considerably smaller everywhere.  Another way of putting this, just as the Ooe 01 is wider than the Ooe 02, the TCB is wider than the 01.

Just got my pair of Boss Overalls.  I’m anticipating these will be in heavy rotation this fall.  They look <kissing fingers emoji>.  Love the high rise.  Definitely a fuller cut than I’m used to — I think these are a true straight leg cut — but hey, I’m not as skinny as I once was.  And I’m definitely planning on making use of those extra buttons once I find the right accessory.  Will post pics when I do.

One thing I didn’t even notice until a few days of wear — it’s a feature I’m so used to seeing at this point that I guess I even see it when it isn’t there — is the lack of selvedge.  Anyone know the story with that design choice?  A pretty bold move!

Edited by owlofminerva

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2018 at 8:26 AM, Foxy2 said:

did a quick dress check this morning after the soak/wash & stretching - they stretched out nicely, the rise is high and they are meant to sit around the waist or, probably, higher. denim and colour also benefited from the wash/soak.

will do proper trial and take pics over the weekend...

Would you recommend sizing up or buying true to size on the Hercules?

The latest batch of OA02XX just landed. We went raw this time, no rinse. They're cut from the new OAXX3 denim OA had made up, which is very similar to the OAXX2 - we had cuts from all 3 generations of their denim sitting on the table at their house. From the first to the second is super obvious, but from second to third - even Ryo had a hard time picking it out.

• 13.5oz unsanforized selvedge denim exclusive to Ooe Yofukuten
  • 100% cotton
  • Extra-deep front pockets
  • Extra-long 40" (pre-soak) inseam
  • Hidden rivets on the back pockets
  • Iron top and fly buttons
  • O.Y. & Co copper rivets

5bc795884aaef_OA02XXDenim-10.thumb.jpg.8bae5df434ad1a6db5de9b8cc542e82b.jpg

@mrsmiff ha! came hear to see if i could glean the differences between the OAXX2 and XX3 denims. sounds like they’re pretty similar! which is great, because i think that OAXX2 was pretty special. any other details about how the new and prior differ?

1 hour ago, tigermilk said:

@mrsmiff ha! came hear to see if i could glean the differences between the OAXX2 and XX3 denims. sounds like they’re pretty similar! which is great, because i think that OAXX2 was pretty special. any other details about how the new and prior differ?

There's not a substantial difference between the two - XX3 is a replica of XX2 with new yarns, as the yarn maker that produced the yarns for XX2 burned down, and OA had to start over again to match it. There is a slight change in the color of the weft, however.

Edited by mrsmiff

Beautiful jeans Jeremy.  Never enough Ooe's.  Saw Neil, Elliott, and Gen (sp?) today -- much that's tempting, but Ooe is a no-brainer.  Seems to fit almost every body type and made and sewn beautifully by Ryo and Hiro.

@mrsmiff oh, interesting! well, you really have to admire Ryo and Hiro’s meticulous attention to detail and dedication to their craft. can’t wait to see the new batch. also, i have to say that a black denim OA02 is on my list of dream items i hope to see one day :D

6 hours ago, Broark said:

This would be amazing.

@StrangeNeil @mrsmiff please make this happen. we’ve suffered now with years of Trump politics, Brexit, the death of Prince and Bowie, and even a “Roseanne” reboot. good god, the world needs a pair of black ooe denim right now. 

11 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

very tempting - if only I could remember if I liked the 02 cut better than 01 or 03???

Foxy2,

01 and 02 are the same up top, with more room from the knee down on the 01.  I like 'em both but prefer 02 -- my favorite cut of jeans, period.

I don't think 03 is a cut!

John

4 hours ago, goodrain said:

is the duck workpant still going to happen?

that's the same question lingering on the DB boards...

sounds like duck on DB and denim on SUFU...

super interested in seeing what Ooe come with for each... they're going to be pretty outstanding to say the least!!

On 10/18/2018 at 9:03 PM, JohnM said:

Foxy2,

01 and 02 are the same up top, with more room from the knee down on the 01.  I like 'em both but prefer 02 -- my favorite cut of jeans, period.

I don't think 03 is a cut!

John

Thanks - things are slowly coming back together in my memory...
Those were the 3 cuts they issued for the revamp of their online store back in late 2014.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The 03 does/did exist...it's a WW2 cut from Ooe but rarely used these days

I did a comparison in September 2014 and some fit pics in early 2015 for this thread - I think I still prefer the 01 and 03 cut over the 02.

Edited by Foxy2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did anyone happen to pick up the Golden Gate jeans in 36? All my others Ooe’s are 38 but I feel like I could maybe make these work in 36 depending on the shrink/stretch. Thinking about buying the last pair and taking advantage of the S&S Black Friday deal. Might be wishful thinking though. 

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Did anyone happen to pick up the Golden Gate jeans in 36? All my others Ooe’s are 38 but I feel like I could maybe make these work in 36 depending on the shrink/stretch. Thinking about buying the last pair and taking advantage of the S&S Black Friday deal. Might be wishful thinking though. 

I have the GG in 36. Top block is similar to other Ooe OA 01 and 02 jeans. So I’d stick with 38 if that works best for you in other Ooes.