Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

@Duodequinquagesimus If you prefer a slim, tapered lowrise black x black, try Somet 030 Writer’s jeans.  
Nice denim, man. I got the relax tapered high-rise version, 033.

Below, Samurai s710-BKSHDW 17oz Zero denim [same as 5000vx], undyed weft, so fades like indigo denim ....  midrised w/the famous 710-tapered silhouette.  Quite a fast-fader @round 6wks effective wear ... 3 soaks, no wash.

Currently, on a holding pattern, waiting for the colder weather to roll in.5423D873-1F26-4369-95D5-CDF6AAE21E21.thumb.jpeg.9c62aee0f548695a8af52ce4bd820eef.jpeg157B1E43-FCDA-4553-888A-F2E99A0EF410.thumb.jpeg.4f6576c74b70b47016606216325bdd1b.jpeg

Edited by BrownMetallic

1 hour ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

Thank you all!

this is crazy. The more I see the worse it gets. Spent hours online and cannot decide. This is a lot of work. 

I am also looking for black jeans. Found samurai ones you mentioned and tcb 50s slim in black. You can try that if you want tappered fit

• 2 weeks later...

IH-634 is a regular straight cut. SE's 633 is tapered from knee to hem, and may be more comparable to 710. I don't have a pair of 710's, on my wish list, so I can't comment on how the top block and thighs compare. I could be wrong, but I think the 634/633 has a slightly higher rise than the 710. But every version of the 634/633 is a little different depending on the denim it's cut from and tweaks to the pattern, so it's hard to make specific comparisons. 

When you say on the lighter side, do you mean lighter weight denim? 

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

IH-634 is a regular straight cut. SE's 633 is tapered from knee to hem, and may be more comparable to 710. I don't have a pair of 710's, on my wish list, so I can't comment on how the top block and thighs compare. I could be wrong, but I think the 634/633 has a slightly higher rise than the 710. But every version of the 634/633 is a little different depending on the denim it's cut from and tweaks to the pattern, so it's hard to make specific comparisons. 

When you say on the lighter side, do you mean lighter weight denim? 

i have an overdyed pair of 634 in a 29 and the top block measurements seem very comparable to a 30 in 710. just not sure how much a one-wash 710 might shrink. by lighter i meant a less aggressive taper. some taper is okay but i don’t want much smaller than 7.5” leg opening at 30” inseam.

@roomtemplacroix 710’s have “light” taper.  On a W34 there’s less than an inch taper from knee to hem.

I have 3 x 710 pairs on different denim & weight, ie, 19oz VX, 17oz Zero, & 18oz organic ... with different shrink-to-stretch ratio, of course.  I also have the IH 634S-B/OD.

Personally,  I think they are 2 different fit & feel.  Depending on how u want to size the 710s, they can be worn,  either on the slim or relax tapered side.  Which 710 denim are u looking at?

Edited by BrownMetallic

10 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

@roomtemplacroix 710’s have “light” taper.  On a W34 there’s less than an inch taper from knee to hem.

I have 3 x 710 pairs on different denim & weight, ie, 19oz VX, 17oz Zero, & 18oz organic ... with different shrink-to-stretch ratio, of course.  I also have the IH 634S-B/OD.

Personally,  I think they are 2 different fit & feel.  Depending on how u want to size the 710s, they can be worn,  either on the slim or relax tapered side.  Which 710 denim are u looking at?

i see. i’ve been eyeing the s710xx 19oz kiwami from blue owl. size 30 shows an actual waist of 29 which is my true waist size. 

@roomtemplacroix

Dunno much about the newer 710XX 19oz denim they’re using,  but basing it from experience on the Lot 9 19oz that I have, the denim had residual shrinkage even after a few washes.

Some are after the [spot on] fit ... but,  if u wish to keep them years longer,  u have to size up to adjust for future shrinkage ... just my personal opinion.

Does Samurai make a regular / straight ("little loose" as they say) cut *with normal sized pocket bags*? I have the S3000VX, which is the cut I like but the super short pocket bags are a pain in the ass....

1 hour ago, BrownMetallic said:

@roomtemplacroix

Dunno much about the newer 710XX 19oz denim they’re using,  but basing it from experience on the Lot 9 19oz that I have, the denim had residual shrinkage even after a few washes.

Some are after the [spot on] fit ... but,  if u wish to keep them years longer,  u have to size up to adjust for future shrinkage ... just my personal opinion.

thanks for the advice! 

@JDelage - S510. Great pocket openings and deep enough pocket bags, not too deep. One of the best cuts there is IMO. It works for me because of the waist to hip and thigh ratio. Many cuts don't work well for me cuz the waist is too big and the thighs are too tight. Don't know about the 3000 cut. The 5000 is too straight and low for my taste. 

They won't be too tight for you. I'm not taking a dig at you, but your thighs aren't as big as you seem to think they are. The S510 isn't a "lifters cut." Being a regular straight cut they have ample room in the thighs and are certainly not a slim cut. You may have to size up to get the waist to work for you after being in France for a year, and that would provide a more gracious thigh measurement. The size chart on OD doesn't seem accurate to me. Samurai seems to be notorious for difficulty in finding accurate sizing info. 

I have a pair of 16th anniversary 16oz AK in 33 that ran small IMO, and they are on the tight side for me. The thigh 2" down after 8 +/- months is 12.25". Also a pair of 15th anniversary 25oz in 34 that at first were way too big, but after a couple washes shrunk down to be a great comfortable fit without being baggy or restricting. The thigh 2" down after 8 +/- months is 12.75". The most comfortable pair I own. My guess is a 35 would look on the fuller side on your frame. A 36 would be enormous. But obviously it's up to you and how you like to wear them. 

S510 is the cut that works the best for me from Samurai. Half my Sam collection is S510. When Samurai releases a new denim that I'm interested in, if it's S510, the one thing I don't have to worry about is how it's going to fit. Most of the time, I don't even look at the size charts, I know it's going fit right if I go TTS, and still have a little leeway if I go up or down a size. Too bad same can't be said about the S5000 cut (since sold). Good thing I didn't buy that one first, could have been my first and last Samurai.

5000VX Zero denim was my Samurai gateway.  I liked the denim & hardware, but decided early on that the cut was just not for my body-type, as thighs were thinnish.

500s were better,  but the 710s silhouette were a godsend.

S710 was my gateway into Samurai. 

After being seduced by so many good fit pics of the S5000, ended up pretty gutted I couldn't make that low rise work for me. Love that zero denim. Missed the boat on the e2nd S510VX collab jean when it was available. Hopefully Samurai will release it again in the future.

There were 510’s iterations on much heavier denim, which really not my cup of tea ... tho, IIRC they had versions in both organic & 16oz geisha.

510 bound to come around, since the cut is a classic.

Edited by BrownMetallic

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 5:07 PM, dennnnnnnnn said:

does anyone have any info on the cotton project jeans? it seems like it’s impossible to find information including their website. the model is SA051J

im looking for a slim straight fit with a softer cotton blend 

What do you want to know, I have the 511s in Samurai's Japanese Organic Cotton.