Iron Heart Jeans

Guest Guy H

I appreciate that post Maynard, but this brand and its fan boy nation are fucking ridiculous. People get so fucking brain washed by this crew, that they back them up to no end. No integrity at all. I'm out.

I don't really get the hate quite frankly.

I own a handful of Iron Heart tee shirts that are some of my favorite, along with a pair of 633s and I haven't had any issues whatsoever regarding quality or sizing.

But you're entitled to your opinion of course!

Imo....I'd agree that it seems like for shirts the measurements can vary enough that it makes an entire size of a difference.  The only reason why I don't own more IH stuff is that it's cut longer so it protects your back on a motorcycle (I'm assuming), I prefer fabrics with a more interesting hand, and in california I need stuff as light as it can get.

That said... I really really wish that they'd just put out some plain super heavy flannels.. I can't believe that they've only done a navy and a black like 3 years ago.  Call me crazy but I think plain superheavys would pretty much encapsulate IH and sell very well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted a lightly worn Extra Heavy Chambray in sz XL in the supermarket.  This is a classic that only gets better as you wear it. There's also a link in my signature.

i wear a 33 in levis and just about every other pair of pants, just measured my waist with a tape measure and im auctualy a 36 :(

im gonna go get it done by a seamstress later today to make sure i diddnt fuck up before i place my order.

are there any other Rakuten stores that ship to america other than Fukuraku that has deals on ironhearts? they only have up to a 33 right now.

thanks

i wear a 33 in levis and just about every other pair of pants, just measured my waist with a tape measure and im auctualy a 36 :(

im gonna go get it done by a seamstress later today to make sure i diddnt fuck up before i place my order.

are there any other Rakuten stores that ship to america other than Fukuraku that has deals on ironhearts? they only have up to a 33 right now.

thanks

I can tell you right now that if this is your level of comfort with sizing, you're going to be way better off in the long run buying from Self Edge or Iron Heart UK where you can exchange sizes than saving a little $$ buying from Japan. 

+1000.  For what it's worth.  My "36" are smaller than my "35" IH, different model though.  My Roy's are 33 and RJB are 34.  There are several measurements and each one can make or break your purchase.  Going by waist measurement alone can be disastrous. 

Edited by summ3rhays

Honestly, for me anyways, you can NEVER go wrong measuring your "best fitting jean" as far as waist is concerned. I measure my actual waist and it comes in at 34.5 BUT all my jeans measure 35.5–36. Go figure. By the way, all my jeans, I could wear without a belt, they fit me perfectly. Sizing? SG = 33, Imp = 34, IH = 32, Roy = 32, Nudie = 33, FH = 34... What size am I actually? Who the fuck knows, but I know this, I need the jean to be about 35.5 by the time shrinking/stretching has run it's course. So I just subtract the estimated stretch from 35.5 and add the shrinkage. Whatever measurement that is determines my size. I have never had to return a jean, then again, I stick to similar fits when I look at my jean collection (SE05BSP, SExI4, SExI08, SG2109, 301s etc.) but still, it works.

i figured it would be bigger but i diddnt think it would be off by three inches.

and selfedge is allmost $200 more, i can allmost buy two pair for tham much. i guess thats what il have to do tho :(

I'm not trying to pick on you, but this is exactly why it might be worth it for you to buy somewhere that can help you size, will accept exchanges, and can make sure you're actually ordering the jean you think you are.

You are comparing the prices of the non-selvedge 634 on Rakuten to those of the 634s which is what Self Edge sells for $350.  If you were to actually compare the same jean, it would be about a $97 savings.  Of course, that's before you pay for shipping, get them hemmed, and it assumes you actually get the right size the first time. 

I can say that from experience that buying from places that don't have hassle free returns or exchanges is painful. I've gone through this a few times too many, thinking I was saving a few bucks but in the long run it costs me more. It kinda sucks now, but future you will thank present you later :P 

Sizing correctly to get the fit you want will make the difference between winding up with a pair you love and want to wear every day, or a pair you dread squeezing into or don't like the look of....or sits in the closet.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but this is exactly why it might be worth it for you to buy somewhere that can help you size, will accept exchanges, and can make sure you're actually ordering the jean you think you are.

You are comparing the prices of the non-selvedge 634 on Rakuten to those of the 634s which is what Self Edge sells for $350.  If you were to actually compare the same jean, it would be about a $97 savings.  Of course, that's before you pay for shipping, get them hemmed, and it assumes you actually get the right size the first time. 

This!

Plus, if you get them hemmed before actually trying them on will almost always cut the resale value by about 40–60% (since you can't return them) at least. The amount of kids I have seen trying to sell a size 32 301S with a 30" inseam is laughable, even worse that they sell them well under $200 (inc shipping) for an essentially "worn once, didn't fit"  RRP $365 jean.

Found these for $60 @ nearby thrift store..

I came home and surprised my dad with these as a gift.

He smiled and said thank you

QrzP2NRl.jpg

cTuKBtVl.jpg

vn9hBgQl.jpg

That’s amazing! Just made me smile. So happy for you and your dad! :)

I think it's not a matter of quality but of cost and detailing. If you're obsessed with denim and it matters to you, how your denim was made  - you might want to choose the selvage model. But the non-selvage version will pretty much last as long as the selvage one. The Fading characteristics could differ, though.

Edited by Max Power

okay thanks, that kinda what i figured. non-selvage will be fine for my first "real" denim

Don't do it.. spring for the extra cost of the selvedge, the fabric is completely different, only the weight is the same between the two.  They also age differently and feel different right off the bat.  

Don't do it.. spring for the extra cost of the selvedge, the fabric is completely different, only the weight is the same between the two.  They also age differently and feel different right off the bat.  

This is new to me. I've always assumed non-selvedge is just the denim on the bolt further in from the edges. It's actually a whole different denim all together? Is it like a larger, "economy" priced bolt of denim?

This is new to me. I've always assumed non-selvedge is just the denim on the bolt further in from the edges. It's actually a whole different denim all together? Is it like a larger, "economy" priced bolt of denim?

It's loomed on a projectile loom rather than the shuttle looms that inherently produce a selvedge loom.  It's a completely and totally different denim, with differences that significantly transcend what machine it was loomed on, and how the edges are finished.  To call it an economy denim, or insinuate it's of lower quality is incorrect, and ignores Iron Heart's DNA as a purpose built motorcycle jeans brand.  The projectile loomed, non selvedge 21oz denim is very very stiff, super tightly woven.  I'd list it's chief advantage over the 21oz selvedge as being significantly more wind resistant, which makes it a great fabric for Rider's jackets.  It does fade with more defined lines than the 21oz selvedge, but in my opinion it lacks some of the depth and color gradient that eventually develops with the selvedge denim. 

For anyone who hasn't handled the 21oz selvedge from Iron Heart, it's a surprisingly soft, breathable, and forgiving fabric that is unlike anything else clocking in around the 21oz range.  It is the reason that so many people who've never had any attraction to heavyweight denim end up buying 634s...it's a great cut with very comfortable, wearable, and impressive feeling denim.