What are you wearing today? (pics only)

MilSpex

Quote:

I tend to agree with englandmj7 on the jeans, maybe it is because they are too big, but

however slight the bootcut, the 'rucking up' at the bottom, gives the impression of a

taper to the knee from each end, and to the eye it creates quite a big flare.

--- Original message by haptronic on Feb 19, 2006 02:23 AM

I see your point, I think that the picture shows a bigger flare than there actually is because of the low quality resolution and the fact that I am wearing slimmer sneakers, which makes the jeans break over the sneakers more. When I wear blazers or Sk8-Hi's or some sneaker with a bigger body, it's pretty obvious that the jeans are essentially straightlegs.

I really don't buy into the skinny jeans thing, nor to the Acne style silhouette (The Nudie Thin Finn is similar) as a long term trend. It doesn't work for most guys. First of all - your inseam needs to be bigger than your waist size for you to not look like a sausage (btw, at 31/32, I can pull off this look) and the silhouette requires that you wear really skinny tops to avoid the "German" silhouette - blousy tops, skinny jeans. I personally prefer the either a post skater silhouette - baggier jeans with a relaxed but not oversized top, or the fitted top, baggier bottom, a little like the YSL Rive Gauche 2003 season.

I think that the a true straightleg jean (like the APC Rescue or the Nudie Straight Sven) in a more relaxed cut is the silhouette that will prevail over the next few years, although more subtle bootcuts (Corpus Morphy, 5EP Low down bootcut, Nudie Olas or Ralphs, Earnest Sewn Hutches) have a lot of staying power in them. Cuts like the APC New Standard (which I am wearing now, btw) are just not flattering on the majority of guys. Most of you guys are probably skinnier than I am, but I guarantee that you are not the norm, even among denimheads.

BTW, why the groupthink? What are your ages? I'm guessing that the average age here is 18-22. I'll bet that most of you guys were wearing bootcut jeans 3 years ago. Did you think that you looked like crap back then? Seriously, instead of buying the hype (which is sold to you guys by guys like, well, me, because switching up trends is the way to get people to buy new stuff,) develop a personal style and let it evolve. If I coordinated Supertalkers to suddenly start saying that APC New Standards sucked, and that really baggy jeans were the way denim should be worn (check out pics of Levis circa 1933) would you all ditch your tight-ass jeans and start wearing everything Atelier La Durance style? Wankers.

Quote:

I tend to agree with englandmj7 on the jeans, maybe it is because they are too big, but

however slight the bootcut, the 'rucking up' at the bottom, gives the impression of a

taper to the knee from each end, and to the eye it creates quite a big flare.

--- Original message by haptronic on Feb 19, 2006 02:23 AM

I see your point, I think that the picture shows a bigger flare than there actually is because of the low quality resolution and the fact that I am wearing slimmer sneakers, which makes the jeans break over the sneakers more. When I wear blazers or Sk8-Hi's or some sneaker with a bigger body, it's pretty obvious that the jeans are essentially straightlegs.

I really don't buy into the skinny jeans thing, nor to the Acne style silhouette (The Nudie Thin Finn is similar) as a long term trend. It doesn't work for most guys. First of all - your inseam needs to be bigger than your waist size for you to not look like a sausage (btw, at 31/32, I can pull off this look) and the silhouette requires that you wear really skinny tops to avoid the "German" silhouette - blousy tops, skinny jeans. I personally prefer the either a post skater silhouette - baggier jeans with a relaxed but not oversized top, or the fitted top, baggier bottom, a little like the YSL Rive Gauche 2003 season.

I think that the a true straightleg jean (like the APC Rescue or the Nudie Straight Sven) in a more relaxed cut is the silhouette that will prevail over the next few years, although more subtle bootcuts (Corpus Morphy, 5EP Low down bootcut, Nudie Olas or Ralphs, Earnest Sewn Hutches) have a lot of staying power in them. Cuts like the APC New Standard (which I am wearing now, btw) are just not flattering on the majority of guys. Most of you guys are probably skinnier than I am, but I guarantee that you are not the norm, even among denimheads.

BTW, why the groupthink? What are your ages? I'm guessing that the average age here is 18-22. I'll bet that most of you guys were wearing bootcut jeans 3 years ago. Did you think that you looked like crap back then? Seriously, instead of buying the hype (which is sold to you guys by guys like, well, me, because switching up trends is the way to get people to buy new stuff,) develop a personal style and let it evolve. If I coordinated Supertalkers to suddenly start saying that APC New Standards sucked, and that really baggy jeans were the way denim should be worn (check out pics of Levis circa 1933) would you all ditch your tight-ass jeans and start wearing everything Atelier La Durance style? Wankers.

Quote:

--- Original message by LA Guy on Feb 19, 2006 09:15 AM

seriously dude, you don't have to defend yourself to these people....i'm in defense of you....who gives a shit.

adidas sample stuff on the bay now.

DAMN YOU PEOPLE STOP WATCHING AND BID!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

Quote:
Quote:

seriously dude, you don't have to defend yourself to these people....i'm in defense of you....who gives a shit.

--- Original message by poly800rock on Feb 19, 2006 09:46 AM

Thanks dude. It's just that the level of ignorance on this forum is just ridiculous. There are guys like Serge and ringring (hey guys, we are trying to get Styleforum.net up ASAP) who really know their stuff despite being amateurs, and guys like Richard and Kane and DENIMBAR ( check out the site in a few weeks when it is back up, and no offense to the industry guys and girls I didn't name, you're all invited too) who make really interesting posts. But the majority of posters seem to know nothing at all. I mean, I just get frustrated when someone asks about the fit of his jacket (see my post there,) and instead of checking out where the shoulder hits, and the sleeve lengths and taking into account where a flight jacket is supposed to hit at the waist, all the guy gets is a bunch of useless comments like "Lose some weight" (the guy didn't even look that big!)

And in the "Top 10 List" threads, I see a bunch of lists, generally of "du jour" brands that happen to be hot at the moment, with no comments about why they put the brand on the list. And the lack of imagination boggles the mind. I mean, for guys who live in sweatshirts, there was a surprising lack of mention for Loopwheeler in the lists. And for guys who are supposed to be hardcore "denimheads", where are the mentions for Samurai or Ironheart? Most guys can't even count to ten. And for guys that like "performan

Thanks dude. It's just that the level of ignorance on this forum is just ridiculous. There are guys like Serge and ringring (hey guys, we are trying to get Styleforum.net up ASAP) who really know their stuff despite being amateurs, and guys like Richard and Kane and DENIMBAR ( check out the site in a few weeks when it is back up, and no offense to the industry guys and girls I didn't name, you're all invited too) who make really interesting posts. But the majority of posters seem to know nothing at all. I mean, I just get frustrated when someone asks about the fit of his jacket (see my post there,) and instead of checking out where the shoulder hits, and the sleeve lengths and taking into account where a flight jacket is supposed to hit at the waist, all the guy gets is a bunch of useless comments like "Lose some weight" (the guy didn't even look that big!)

And in the "Top 10 List" threads, I see a bunch of lists, generally of "du jour" brands that happen to be hot at the moment, with no comments about why they put the brand on the list. And the lack of imagination boggles the mind. I mean, for guys who live in sweatshirts, there was a surprising lack of mention for Loopwheeler in the lists. And for guys who are supposed to be hardcore "denimheads", where are the mentions for Samurai or Ironheart? Most guys can't even count to ten. And for guys that like "performance" clothing, where were the mentions of C.P. Company (the original lifestyle sportswear company) or 6876. And for dudes into Milsurp gear, where were the mentions of Griffin? The point of the excercise was not to list every brand you like, but to encapsulate your personal style in 10 brands only.

Maybe this is a good thing. I've been involved at some level in the business for about 10 years now, but never on the retail side, and definitely not in strictly streetwear stores, and I was never sympathetic to my friends who were forced to deal with hype-consuming morons who don't even realize it on a daily basis. I am now...

Quote:

And in the "Top 10 List" threads, I see a bunch of lists, generally of "du jour" brands that happen to be hot at the moment, with no comments about why they put the brand on the list. And the lack of imagination boggles the mind. I mean, for guys who live in sweatshirts, there was a surprising lack of mention for Loopwheeler in the lists. And for guys who are supposed to be hardcore "denimheads", where are the mentions for Samurai or Ironheart? Most guys can't even count to ten. And for guys that like "performance" clothing, where were the mentions of C.P. Company (the original lifestyle sportswear company) or 6876. And for dudes into Milsurp gear, where were the mentions of Griffin? The point of the excercise was not to list every brand you like, but to encapsulate your personal style in 10 brands only.

Maybe this is a good thing. I've been involved at some level in the business for about 10 years now, but never on the retail side, and definitely not in strictly streetwear stores, and I was never sympathetic to my friends who were forced to deal with hype-consuming morons who don't even realize it on a daily basis. I am now...

--- Original message by LA Guy on Feb 19, 2006 10:20 AM

Please remember that what you think is ALSO just an opinion. I disagree with a lot of what you say, but I don't feel the need to say how much better I know.

And please, dont call people wankers or morons..

dontcaretoomuchforcrap CANT SKATE!!

Quote:

Perhaps I'm just out of the loop but i'm a fairly active poster on both of the SF's as well as TFS (why do they all use the same fucking letters!) and this group think mentality takes place on both boards from what I've seen. However, the 'skinny jeans' kids aren't anywhere near as prevalent here as it may seem. In fact, the majority of posters on both boards tend to sport a relaxed pair of RRDS or oversized New Standards and I see the same brands being pushed on both ends. Granted, you have a few people here and there (horriblyjollyjinx, kent wang, getsmart) who swear by skinny jeans but generally they don't call people out on it and if they do it's not because people don't conform to their idea of a fashionable silhouette (tapered vs. bootcut). I think that you got targetted because people seem to lash out at gay fashion, which in this case is represented by a bad angle of your jeans that some thought resembled a flare.

However, I must agree with the jacket comments. Most of the people on this board are more concerned with whatever's in or will be in soon in various circles whereas SF has the menswear forum that rubs off on the rest and creates attention to subtle details such as the length of a sleeve. I think that's why over there you hear very specific and intricate descriptions when someone likes an outfit wheras here you find the loathsome 'NICE FIT DUDE' which doesn't convey anything other than ignorance (sorry witts).

Edited by verb on Feb 19, 2006 at 10:44 AM

Quote:

damn.... are you bored or are you bored? whyd you even need to defend yourself against people online?! are they gonna come e-rape you?! good grief. and calling ppl wankers on this board just doesnt work man.

you sound like you want a good old superfuture styled flaming.

i dont think the jeans look awful, but hey, if you cant take criticism, then really man. do smth abt it.

opinions are an individuals right. so dont go round cyberspace implementing your discipline on every other style forum. please bro.. do some thinking.

Edited by allacedout on Feb 19, 2006 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Please remember that what you think is ALSO just an opinion. I disagree with a lot of what you say, but I don't feel the need to say how much better I know.

And please, dont call people wankers or morons..

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Feb 19, 2006 10:35 AM

I take your point about the wanker comment.

I still stand by my other comments though. I've read your comments on Styleforum, and disagreed with a lot of them as well (I think most of our disagreements were about the skinny jeans issue,) but I respected them because they were informed opinions. My frustration with the posts on this board stems from the lack of substance in the majority of comments.

"I don't like your outfit" is a fair opinion, but I'd appreciate some form of well articulated critique rather than just a blanket statement. If Roger Ebert only supplied a "Thumb Up" or a "Thumb down", he'd be out a job.

Iwouldlike to remind you that this thread is called, WYWT and not LA Guy give his opinion on what makes Style Forum a better forum, if you want to continue this discussion, the appropriate thing to do would be to start a thread in supertrash.

Quote:
Quote:

damn.... are you bored or are you bored? whyd you even need to defend yourself against people online?! are they gonna come e-rape you?! good grief. and calling ppl wankers on this board just doesnt work man.

you sound like you want a good old superfuture styled flaming.

i dont think the jeans look awful, but hey, if you cant take criticism, then really man. do smth abt it.

opinions are an individuals right. so dont go round cyberspace implementing your discipline on every other style forum. please bro.. do some thinking.

Edited by allacedout on Feb 19, 2006 at 10:52 AM

--- Original message by allacedout on Feb 19, 2006 10:46 AM

Mostly, I'm bored.

Quote: Thanks dude. It's just that the level of ignorance on this forum is just ridiculous.
If you think so many of the posters here are ignorant, then don't read or post here. It's fairly simple, isn't it? If you don't like this forum, then no need to try and "educate" everyone.

To echo horriblyjollyjinx -- you seem to have a bad habit for thinking your opinions are "rules." They're not. They're your opinions.

Quote:

WYWT is not an appropriate place, to say discuss whether you like supertalk or not,

feel free to create a thread in supertrash, but stop trying to derail the thread.

--- Original message by haptronic on Feb 19, 2006 11:02 AM

Sorry this is so late in the thread Hap...

...BUT YOU THOUGHT I WAS LONG WINDED?!

icon_smile_shock.gif

Quote:

time for a picture.

just so you know.,.. i dont skate, at all, i was just messin around.

122924386090alb4jz.jpg

shirt- target v neck

jacket-sixty

jeans-apc NS

shoes-nike

quesodilla-delicious

a closer look at the jacket

501055679_l.jpg

--- Original message by Corbin Law on Feb 17, 2006 02:49 PM

Fuck me! It's Travis Bickle! icon_smile_big.gif

Edited by sybaritical on Feb 19, 2006 at 03:02 PM

You can't possibly expect the majority of the members to be elite in terms of fashion knowledge. Only thing you can ACTUALLY show off online is your knowledge, not your style.

Honestly, your outfit inspired me in no possible way, you looked absolutely bland. Not that it matters.

The only thing that will be proven over the next few years is, unfortunately, that you are wrong in terms of silhouette and you will indeed be proven so. When has female fashion ever bended over in terms of how many women could actually wear the runway styles? Most women surely doesn't have the bodies to model clothes the way the top models do.

Same thing with men these days.

Chill out, you need to revamp your style entirely and maybe act friendly and we could have a talk.

Third, there is no such thing as being 'in the know'. You might be part of a little, avantgarde group spreading out specific fashions or anything in the like, but since you waste your time on this website I conclude you're not. Being in front in terms of hype is only so because commercialism and a few websites lets EVERYBODY being in the know, if indeed they want to.

True style comes from understanding, education, dedication and a sense of dressing nicely. Understanding of heritage, education about other brands/cultures, dedication in choosing items that fit your style and you and finally, you need to pick out nice items, put them together in nice and original ways.

It isn't that hard. Take a break man.

DON'T YOU WANNA BE COOL

LA Guy, if you are so sophisticated in your fashion sensibilities, what business do you have posting a pic of yourself here? What did you expect?

A lot of what goes down on this forum is about style. Not about what you're wearing, or how it's tailored, but if you can pull it off.

The bottom line is, dude, you didn't pull it off. Don't sweat it, you'll get 'em next time.

Ringring has said that he was an amateur, that he was not in the business. I think that he could easily be a pro. That's a genuine compliment. Not too many people, the internet notwithstanding, could gather all his information. It's the dedicated hobbyists who are often the most well informed.

As I said before, I am fine with critiques, just not unconstructive, blanket insults. I don't think that I need to defend my knowledge. Those who know, know. Those who don't, whatever.

England, seeing that picture, I don't even know why I bothered responding at all.

Minya, sorry for disturbing the peace here. You call the shots here. Fair enough. But I want to clear up that I don't, and haven't ever said that my opinions are "rules". They are opinions, but I try to make my comments, especially about other people's gear, constructive, and from an informed perspective.

Peace.

Edited by LA Guy on Feb 19, 2006 at 03:38 PM