SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

How do u guys feel about denim rotations? i was in between SG1109s and IH301s but went for the 1190s because I'm in oz and I could physically try them on before buying. I love them and have always stuck to breaking in one pair at a time, but i stillcatch myself daydreaming of the 301s...will definitely get a pair at some point.

but i've been entertaining the idea of getting 301s and rotating b/w the two. The cuts may be similar-ish, but the fabric appears to be very different which i like. also, i'm at a point where i can prob afford to do it, and part of me is paranoid that when i finally decide to pull the trigger SE will cease restocking them.

bad idea or good idea? thanks :)

Hey guys

Can anyone recommend styles with longer rises? I've got a pair of APC NS but would prefer some extra length through the hips...if that makes sense. Something with a 11-12ish? inch rise.

Silly me, forgot to mention fit. Looking for something in straight leg, with a 33+ inch inseam.

Edited by aujoiji

decided on a pair of raw Pure Blue Japan as my first pair. I want them to shrink a lot but the other sanforized/one wash pairs I tried on bunched quite a bit at the crotch. plus my knees seem to be too pointy according to my other pairs of jeans so i'm also afraid of baggy knees; would wearing them in the tub as they soak help avoid the crotch and knee woes?

also, i heard the leather patch gets too much of a beating after a boiling soak, will it turn out alright if it's just warm/hot water or should i just be extra safe and pick up a case of obenauf's leather oil?

Edited by creamcreamcream

still to hot water soak. boiling soak will definitely destroy the leather patch. Its leather, not food.

My question:

Do one-wash models of denim fade and contrast like the raw ones do? I wanted PBJ 003 in the raw but I found some one-wash models for cheap. Will i get the same results?b

the factory one wash, vs your one wash at home is radically different and the factory OW version has completely lost it's ability to produce contrasty fades, and can only fade to a lovely overall shade of light blue similar to '90s old man pleated jeans. :rolleyes:

daily wear + extended time between washes = contrast. This applies to $20 Wrangler Rustlers, or a $300 MIJ pair of jeans. An initial wash by you or the factory isn't going to change that. All the one wash does is make it easier to size your pants, so you don't buy three or four pairs of jeans that fit wrong, and shit up a half dozen threads at sufu after the fact with sizing questions.

Unless you never wash, then at some stage all raw denim becomes one-wash. For most people who buy unsanforized denim, this transition to the one-wash state occurs before any wear has actually taken place due to the inevitable shrinkage that will occur.

You work out the rest...

figured this was a good place to post this..My buddy got a pair of jeans from someone kinda random i guess he's sorta related to. i noticed last night that these jeans that look like JNCOs were better. apparently they're Red Monkey's. I've never seen a real pair in person, but I know a few years ago there was a big thing with people making knock-offs. so i took pictures of my buddy's pants. essentially, i'm assuming they're knockoffs, but for what its worth, will someone tell me if they are or not? The quality seems pretty impeccable either way, and in light of how well the Thai Levi's fakes turn out, i'm sure whether ligit or not, these will fade nicely.

pics:

7853028190_f9801d16b8_z.jpg

7853027158_ffbddc1605_z.jpg

7853023404_6eccfb1e93_z.jpg

7853021328_cf8cb00b4a_z.jpg

Let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure they've been either washed once or soaked. i haven't gotten measurements of them so i'm not sure.

Edited by rockon99

I don't know anything about Red Monkey jeans, but I do remember when they were really popular and could command quite a high price. If they are knockoff's, depending on how much money the conterfeiters could get for their product, it could've been worth it to them to use high quality materials.

What makes you think they're knock-off's though?

I have honestly no idea.. just the sheer coincidence that he received them for free from a relative that had them, and they didn't fit. haha i told him to wear them hard regardless. he's stoked on them, whether they're fake or not. he was just pleased to know they weren't something like JNCOs lol

Anyone know of any brands that make smaller sized jeans? I'm currently wearing APC NS size 25, but I'm looking for a new pair, something different. Something with similar sizing, but maybe tapered.

For reference, I'm 5'2" and about 100 lbs, and I have about a 27" waist. From what I'm seeing so far, it's slim pick'ns (ha, no pun intended...) for a good pair of jeans at my size.

Anyone know of any brands that make smaller sized jeans? I'm currently wearing APC NS size 25, but I'm looking for a new pair, something different. Something with similar sizing, but maybe tapered.

For reference, I'm 5'2" and about 100 lbs, and I have about a 27" waist. From what I'm seeing so far, it's slim pick'ns (ha, no pun intended...) for a good pair of jeans at my size.

Since you're not super tall... you could rock girl jeans. Kind of hard finding jeans with waist size smaller than 28 I think. I don't think it'd make a huge difference if you just wore size 28s with a belt though. Nudie jeans have size 24 I think.

Hope you guys can help!

I'm looking for a cut similar to Edwin ED-55 (relaxed and very tapered).

I'm looking for a cut similar to, or at least somewhat like, the ED-55 by one of the more premium denim brands.

(Iron Heart, Pure Blue, Samurai etc etc.)

Does such a cut exist?

Edited by booshman

Hello I’m desperate for some help. I bought some levis 201’s off ebay . I love the idea of having some doughnut hole braces and thought this would be a good cheap way to get a pair. I could not tell if they were STF or not. Even if they are not STF I normally wear 34x34 in levis anyways. From what I was able to research before buying the jeans, the 201s are basically 501s with doughnut buttons for braces and a buckle back. Well I got the jeans and they fit like a 36x36. The tag also says “rigid†which Im guessing means that they are not STF and are actually sanforized with heavy starch? I can’t find very much information on this pair of jeans. These are the buckle back with the white tag on the inside that were released in 2010 I believe.

I guess my question is, are these STF? What is “rigid†denim? Is it the same as raw are dry? Wondering if I should soak them or boil them to try to get them to shrink even more...

Rigid can relate to either sanforized or non-sanforized, it simply means that the fabric is unwashed or dry

Re your 201s: although nominally STF, the 201s use a Japanese denim rather than Cone fabric (although I believe this may be changing for 2013) and this fabric does shrink slightly, although nothing like regular Cone denim used for 501s and more like sanforized fabric. In addition 201s are often oversized, thereby exaggerating the problem further.

I had some 201s from 2005, which I ended up washing a couple of times, including a 90C machine wash and tumble dry (I never usually do this) but they didn't shrink enough so I gave them away.

How much shrinkage are you hoping for? My advice would be to buy them 1" larger than your measured waist size, although it's a bit late for that now!

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic