SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

i posted in the Warehouse thread, but no one responded back. I searched the thread for info on shrinkage, but came up with mixed results. I'm planning on picking up a pair of 660's from BIG, but am stuck between a 32 and 33. If I soak them in really hot water for about an hour, would they shrink anymore than BIG says they will in the post soak measurement chart?

I wish all raw denim suppliers provided an actual post soak measurement for each of their jeans. Would do wonders for their sales an show great customer service. They'd have to update it for each batch of denim and be washed at their recommended temperature. Any thoughts?

i posted in the Warehouse thread, but no one responded back. I searched the thread for info on shrinkage, but came up with mixed results. I'm planning on picking up a pair of 660's from BIG, but am stuck between a 32 and 33. If I soak them in really hot water for about an hour, would they shrink anymore than BIG says they will in the post soak measurement chart?

Mine didn't. BiG's charts are very accurate. An hour is overkill though... your jeans can only get so wet before they dry.

how are thvm atelier jeans?

and acne max cash? I know these are obviously better than thvm but are they worth the price? (200). and sizing? i'm a 32 waist

if not, what are some nice black jeans for 200 max? I want some that will stay relatively jet black, with minor fading, and no leathery shine (wax coated)

Edited by Ecotrons

Mine didn't. BiG's charts are very accurate. An hour is overkill though... your jeans can only get so wet before they dry.

Really? The charts seem to show that the 660's will barely shrink at all compared to my 710's. The thighs shrunk .75" and the knees and hem shrunk .5". They've had three soaks, and shrunk the most on the first soak (normal hot soak) and the third soak (hour long hot soak with the addition of a few pots' worth of boiling water). I guess the 1000xx denim doesn't shrink nearly as much as Samurai's XX fabric?

Really? The charts seem to show that the 660's will barely shrink at all compared to my 710's. The thighs shrunk .75" and the knees and hem shrunk .5". They've had three soaks, and shrunk the most on the first soak (normal hot soak) and the third soak (hour long hot soak with the addition of a few pots' worth of boiling water). I guess the 1000xx denim doesn't shrink nearly as much as Samurai's XX fabric?

Different denim shrinks differently. The thighs shrink more than the knees and hem because there is more fabric to shrink. If want to get all of the shrinkage out of the way after one soak then you will have to put them in the dryer, otherwise there will almost always be a bit of shrinkage after the first few soaks.

*Edit- Someone will undoubtedly tell you not to use the dryer; that's up to you.

Edited by jonny

my dad wants to replace the old nudies i gave him, what should i get him? straight leg, inexpensive, old man steez lol

If i was buying my dad new jeans I'd probably go with Lee repros (or regular Lee's if I could find stf/rigid olor). If not the repros, then I'd get him 501's Goominim suggested.

Would a jean thats purchased as pre-washed (already faded) not last as long as a jean thats purchased in raw unwashed denim?

Does the process of fading them in production mean they would have a shorter life span?

Thank you in advance.

@ djkmrh11

No, of course not, they've just done the first wash for you, that's all.

Conversely, they'd actually last longer than a pair worn from raw (with no wash) over a period of time, other factors remaining equal.

I looked at B_F's sizing chart and let me just say thank you good sir!

I just wanted to confirm with other members if my true waist is at a 29.5 or smaller would I be best served going tts to allow shrinkage or size down to a 28 on the s5000VX 24oz? I know the waist isn't the biggest problem but I have small thighs and I am not too worried about that so much.

Looked at the BIG measurements for the vx 24oz. and the true waist pre soak for a 29 is 30, the 28 is a 29 so if I can expect 1-1.5 inches in shrinkage post soak is the 29 a better option if I hot soak and then plan to wash in the future?

According to bf he suggests size down one, is this ideal for a nice fitted look?

I am sure this question has been asked before which is why I did not post it on the Samurai thread or on bf's sizing guide.

Thanks in advance

If I could do it again I would buy a size 35 in the S5000VX24oz as it runs smaller than the regular S5000VX. So TTS would be better in my opinion. But as you can't compare my build with your build so easily, it's not 100% true that the advice for my body type will give you the same fit.

If I can get a 29ish waist post soak on the tagged 29 s5000vx24oz then I will be happy if I loose any more weight I can just wear a belt.

Thanks for the help b_f, I am placing my order with 2nd some time this week, since they offer overseas shipping.

Contacted the shop last night and was surprised at how quickly they replied.

Will most likely get them hemmed if I can at 33.5 to allow some shrinkage.

Good short sleeve henley recommendations?

I like the mister freedom union t and I think tender makes some nice ones

I'm looking for a pair of selvedge raw duck pants, similar to the Left Field ones (with welted pockets) but in that traditional carhartt brown color. Anyone have any ideas? Cant afford to go over like $250, so those nice mister freedom ones are a little out of my range.

Hey guys, this might be a really dumb question, but what exactly is "true to size"? I get kind of confused with all the measuring and stuff.

For example, I measured the highest point of my waist and it is about 29". I never wear any of my jeans that high, only dress pants. I measured my waist where I usually wear my jeans and it measured around 32". But the most comfortable pair of jeans I have is a sz 30 with a measured waist line of 30". So for me, what is my tts? Is 30" my tts since my most comfortable pair is measured at 30"?

Sorry for be dumb about it, but I was just wondering for sizing purposes on future pairs.

for me, "true to size" is a pair of jeans that have a raw waist measurement the same as my actual waist actually measurement where I intend the jeans to sit. between the jeans having a little stretch in them, and you probably not pulling the measuring tape tight enough, 30" is most likely your true size

Alright so the hook of my dior jeans is starting to rip off the denim and if I continue to wear it it will rip off completely. Is it even possible to fix this? I've taken it to one tailor and they couldn't do anything about it, but I think it might be possible to change to a button closure. Any ideas on how I can go about fixing this?

img201204112032471.th.jpg img201204112032581.th.jpg img201204112032351.th.jpg img201204112032231.th.jpg

technical question: why is japanese selvedge denim more hairy than modern cone mills? The one exception being Roy's custom Cone.

Different sources of cotton, I guess. Shorter staple cotton is hairier. I have the contest Roy loomstate, they seem about as hairy as LVC 55 or SDA 103XX to me.

Other denim might be less hairy because it's singed, passed over a flame to remove the fluff.

Any recommendations on denim jackets? Looking to spend the on the lesser side but for something that's quality, too. Basically, good for the price. Something not too out of the ordinary and would look good over a hoodie or something. Thanks

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic