Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

After I bought mine on Saturday, I had a moment of misgiving, even though I had seen them in person way back at the beginning of the year: was I overestimating how amazing they are? could they really be that great? did I just get carried away and overspend on an average pair of jeans with an ultra-exotic backstory? was I misremembering how awesome the fabric is?

Nope and yep and nope and nope.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99610590@N05/

Can't wait for the soak and hem! These things are absolutely gorgeous. Beyond denim as most of us have known it. 

Douchey, but true.

btw, Roy's new shirt? Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Saw it. Touched it. Fell instantly in love with it. It will likely be too small for me, but deep joy unto thee who may fitteth and owneth this garment.

Where and how did you see this?  Its been hidden away at all four stores for the past week or so.  

After I bought mine on Saturday, I had a moment of misgiving, even though I had seen them in person way back at the beginning of the year: was I overestimating how amazing they are? could they really be that great? did I just get carried away and overspend on an average pair of jeans with an ultra-exotic backstory? was I misremembering how awesome the fabric is?

Can't wait for the soak and hem! These things are absolutely gorgeous. Beyond denim as most of us have known it. 

Douchey, but true.

Glad you like the jean, its been a long time in the making!

Where and how did you see this?  Its been hidden away at all four stores for the past week or so.  

No espionage involved. I had just popped in to SESF to pick up me Bones and I asked "the guy there" (who shall remain nameless) if he had seen the Roy shirt yet. As luck would have it, the photographer had just finished snapping some pics of it, and was part of the conversation. Maybe "the guy there" remembered that he had shown me the Dry Bones prototype fairly early in the process and that I did not reward his kindness by splashing unauthorized pictures of said jean all over the Internet, so he felt he could safely show me the Roy shirt. Which he can.

And yes, Kiya: worth the wait, worth the coin if you have it.

No espionage involved. I had just popped in to SESF to pick up me Bones and I asked "the guy there" (who shall remain nameless) if he had seen the Roy shirt yet. As luck would have it, the photographer had just finished snapping some pics of it, and was part of the conversation. Maybe "the guy there" remembered that he had shown me the Dry Bones prototype fairly early in the process and that I did not reward his kindness by splashing unauthorized pictures of said jean all over the Internet, so he felt he could safely show me the Roy shirt. Which he can.

And yes, Kiya: worth the wait, worth the coin if you have it.

I wasn't upset, just curious... the shirt is kinda crazy, its got an extra button pocket that is genius.  It holds the placket straight at the bottom of the shirt due to the small bit of added weight because the buttons are hidden in a small pocket at the bottom tip of the placket (or as Roy calls it, "the cyanide pocket, they'll never take you alive").

I wasn't upset, just curious... the shirt is kinda crazy, its got an extra button pocket that is genius.  It holds the placket straight at the bottom of the shirt due to the small bit of added weight because the buttons are hidden in a small pocket at the bottom tip of the placket (or as Roy calls it, "the cyanide pocket, they'll never take you alive").

Well, you've piqued my interest.

when will the roy shirt hit the web store?  Between the dry bones and that shirt, everyone has a new uniform...

It'll hit all stores and online this Saturday.

It'll hit all stores and online this Saturday.

First off, I'm glad no one will be losing his job over a spontaneous act of generosity. Second, any info available about the specs for the XL Roy shirt, Kiya?

First off, I'm glad no one will be losing his job over a spontaneous act of generosity. Second, any info available about the specs for the XL Roy shirt, Kiya?

We'll have all the info up friday morning including measurements.

Got my SEXDB19 today and I'm going to be exchanging them for a size up I believe.

Haven't soaked them yet or anything but buttoning was too difficult.

I sent an email.

This fabric is incredible though.

Got my SEXDB19 today and I'm going to be exchanging them for a size up I believe.

Haven't soaked them yet or anything but buttoning was too difficult.

I sent an email.

This fabric is incredible though.

Sorry to hear you have to send em back. How did you find the fit in the legs; esp from just above the knee down?  

Edited by lance

Loved the fit everywhere except the waist as they were just a little too snug pre soak and knew they would be way too right after one, I've obviously had a few too many beers this summer.

dang, can't wait to see this on fri. might need to drop some money on this guy

Douchey, but true.

I've been wearing my pair for about a month now.  I have to confess that when I started wearing them, my excitement mostly came from the fact that the denim had an insane story and process behind it, and that Self Edge had never done natural indigo before.

Even though the denim was super beautiful, I was a little sad to be shelving my 6 month old Flat Heads that had been washed 12 or so times, and were just getting good.  The last few days though, the jeans have started to soften up a little, and the shape is a lot more natural now than any brand new jeans are.  The depth and texture of the denim only gets more interesting with wear and the color is as unbelievable as it is at day one. These are the most exciting jeans I've worn in a long time, and are quickly becoming favorites. 

KIya, will there be a special collab tee for the Portland store opening?

Nope, but Mister Freedom has made some "Portland" branded indigo-vat dyed bandanas and Roy has made a Portland inspired shirt that'll be available upon opening.  Bandana is SEPDX only, shirt is at all four stores.