Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Hey man, the collab is up on the Self Edge site - afraid I cannot do any better than those photos or the ones from jstavrin - not much of a photographer. But I can say that the denim is even more beautiful than any of the pics - you've gotta see this pair of jeans!

The new collab looks absolutely incredible.  

Just out of curiosity, is it accurate to say that these will not fade like most raw denim, since the threads are dyed all the way through, rather than the core of each thread still being white?  And if that's true, do they basically stay that original color all over for the life of the jean, regardless of more wear in some areas over other areas?

DB collab looks sick.  Roomy thighs, medium rise, taperd leg opening what more can you ask for.

Kiya, would you recommend going tts on these?

Yup, go true to size, they got the waist sizing perfect on these and they shrink to the tagged size.  

Man, those jeans look great.  Awesome turquoise color and texture, can't wait to see how these look faded.  Also, the patch and pocket embroidery are super classy.

Thanks man, glad you like they way they turned out!

The new collab looks absolutely incredible.  

Just out of curiosity, is it accurate to say that these will not fade like most raw denim, since the threads are dyed all the way through, rather than the core of each thread still being white?  And if that's true, do they basically stay that original color all over for the life of the jean, regardless of more wear in some areas over other areas?

These will definitely fade over time, i'd say if you want to see a jean or two that fades similarly over time you may want to look up photos of the Jomon by 45RPM.  (back in the early days of Superfuture this was regarded to be the ultimate grail jean)

Edited by kiya

Self Edge x Dry Bones Natural Indigo Hank-Dyed Jeans = SEXDB19

After seven years and nearly twenty collaborations we've finally put ourselves up to the task of doing a jean made of a fabric so difficult and so expensive to produce that we could truly say it was a labor of love and passion. 

Self Edge and Dry Bones have come together to produce a jean made of 100% natural indigo dyed yarns which were hank-dyed to produce a very deep indigo shade which cannot be replicated using modern dying methods and synthetic dyes.  There are a small handful of natural indigo dying masters left in Japan and to say that they work slowly is an understatement.  Massive care is taken when preparing the natural indigo dye bath and then the dying the skeins of yarn.   Once the yarn is dyed it is then woven into denim on a wooden (but machine powered) loom yielding an extremely uneven texture which brings out the great deep indigo shade hidden within the fabric. 

The fabric is then cut and sewn into a straight leg jean with a little taper down past the knee and finished with hidden rivets, indigo dyed cotton twill pocket bags, olive military-grade canvas rear pocket linings, and a cowhide patch. 

Due to difficulty of producing this fabric and the costs associated with the production these jeans are limited to only 95 pairs.

Josh Harris is off this week running the Pig and Punch event in New Orleans, in place we have Eugene Terrible from SESF modeling the jeans.

The SEXDB19 jean will be available at all Self Edge stores on Saturday, July 27 at noon (local time) and at 10am (PDT) the same day in our online store.

SEDB_01.jpg

SEDB_03.jpg

SEDB_04.jpg

SEDB_05.jpg

SEDB_06.jpg

SEDB_07.jpg

SEDB_08.jpg

SEDB_09.jpg

SEDB_010.jpg

I want to march down to SELA right away, but there's no 28  :(

You may be able to pull off the 30 after a hot soak, its not a boxy fit so the waist tapers in a bit and can shrink up to 1.5" after a long hot soak.

Those, I need them, everything about them. I need the Color, I need the Fit, I need the details, I need those jeans!

A long hot soak can get up to 1.5" of shrinkage in the waist...

0.3" for everywhere else?

Yup, about .3" everywhere else after a hot soak.

The denim looks amazing!

Too bad that I can't do taper and/leg opening below 8"...

I share these sentiments.

Seems like most SE collabs and exclusives (e.g. Roy) of late have a taper with leg openings skirting around 8" and less (for a waist 31 to 32).  I wish more of the collabs were around 8.1-8.3" (raw), with a straight cut or less aggressive taper (shouldn't have slept on those SExFHxRJB's!)

The denim that Kiya gets his hands on for some of these collabs is so fantastic that it's a shame it is only produced in one cut.

kiya, out of curiosity, how do you decide the cuts for each of your collaborations?  I can't imagine it's easy to pick only one, and surely it takes a bit of work for each of the producers to make new patterns for each collab.

I share these sentiments.

Seems like most SE collabs and exclusives (e.g. Roy) of late have a taper with leg openings skirting around 8" and less (for a waist 31 to 32).  I wish more of the collabs were around 8.1-8.3" (raw), with a straight cut or less aggressive taper (shouldn't have slept on those SExFHxRJB's!)

The denim that Kiya gets his hands on for some of these collabs is so fantastic that it's a shame it is only produced in one cut.

kiya, out of curiosity, how do you decide the cuts for each of your collaborations?  I can't imagine it's easy to pick only one, and surely it takes a bit of work for each of the producers to make new patterns for each collab.

Its very simple, for a company the size of Self Edge its near impossible for us to pull off a collaboration because of the costs associated with it.  It nearly breaks us financially each time and we pray that it sells well upon release.  What this means is that we have to produce a jean that WE like while balancing it with a jean that will sell well, and what sells well is slightly tapered jeans.  If we really wanted to sell the jeans super fast all we'd have to do is make every collab a slim tapered jean and they'd sell even faster, but then where's the fun in making the same jean over and over?

On that note...these new Dry Bones jeans aren't that tapered, the percentage of taper from the knee down isn't any more aggressive than many other classic fit straight leg jeans.

Kiya, 

What denim should we look at to see potential fading properties? I can't think of any off the top of my head that did hank dyed natural indigo. I think Samurai migh thave done a special release awhile back?

The denim looks incredible, I'm still pretty happy with the last Dry Bones collaboration.

Kiya, 

What denim should we look at to see potential fading properties? I can't think of any off the top of my head that did hank dyed natural indigo. I think Samurai migh thave done a special release awhile back?

The denim looks incredible, I'm still pretty happy with the last Dry Bones collaboration.

From an earlier post of mine: 

"i'd say if you want to see a jean or two that fades similarly over time you may want to look up photos of the Jomon by 45RPM.  (back in the early days of Superfuture this was regarded to be the ultimate grail jean)"

Really think I'm going to pull the trigger on these tomorrow. Wondering if you can compare the fit to other straight-ish denim you sell (e.g. Flat Head 3009). Sorry, I know you're being inundated with fit questions

The SEXDB19 has less of an anti-fit top block to it in comparison to the 3009, thats the biggest difference between the two outside of just comparing the measurements for a more accurate reading of things like the leg opening, thigh, etc..

On that note...these new Dry Bones jeans aren't that tapered, the percentage of taper from the knee down isn't any more aggressive than many other classic fit straight leg jeans.

On this note, is it possible for SE to present full length shots of the jeans (either full frontal, or folded in half) to show the full cut through the leg?

As you have alluded to, two jeans with the same measurements can fit quite differently, so the measurements don't always tell the full story.  Hate to use a cliche, but a picture is worth a thousand numbers.

The SEXDB19 has less of an anti-fit top block to it in comparison to the 3009, thats the biggest difference between the two outside of just comparing the measurements for a more accurate reading of things like the leg opening, thigh, etc..

Kiya,

I'm not familiar with the term - anti-fit top block.  Can you explain what that means in layman terms?  The denim on that collab just looks amazing.