Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Dig the look of the hammered ring, the cordovan leather on the new one looks quite a bit darker in those photos though?

Due to the process which Shinki uses to dye the cordovan each run of cordovan has a slightly different shade than the previous one.

Hey kiya... do you have any pictures of the new cordovan color after it's been worn for a while?  I was all planning on getting a custom one in natural cordovan when I was in tokyo, but was a tad bummed when I was told they were stopping that color.

Then again, maybe once it's been aged it won't look that different...

Hey kiya... do you have any pictures of the new cordovan color after it's been worn for a while?  I was all planning on getting a custom one in natural cordovan when I was in tokyo, but was a tad bummed when I was told they were stopping that color.

Then again, maybe once it's been aged it won't look that different...

A year+ in you won't notice any difference at all between cordovan the color that FH is currently using and something that is totally natural.  If anything, you'll have a less pronounced effect from indigo/sweat stains. 

A year+ in you won't notice any difference at all between cordovan the color that FH is currently using and something that is totally natural.  If anything, you'll have a less pronounced effect from indigo/sweat stains. 

This is a true story.

Kiya, is there anything similar to the Iron Heart 301s-07BK's on the horizon?

I'm desperate for a new pair of slim tapered black denim, preferably no-fade black or something that fades to something other than grey.

Thanks

Nothing on the horizon... i'd say the closest thing would be the 32BSP from 3sixteen+, but that's not really black, it's black weft / indigo warp with no contrast stitching.  

Iron Heart Super Heavy Winter Flannels

The masters of heavy weight flannel have just delivered this year's set of heavy weight winter flannels.  These have turned into a stable in our line-up every year with the patterns getting better with ever year.  This year we have these in all three colors and once sold out they will not be restocked.

Along with these three new flannels we've received a full restock of all Iron Heart jeans including the popular Devil's Fit slim cut jean.  Check the product pages for high-res images, specs, and size charts.

IHSH-107_01-682x1025.jpg
IHSH-107_05-1025x682.jpg
IHSH-107_GRN_01-682x1025.jpg
IHSH-107_GRN_05-1025x682.jpg
IHSH-107_RED_01-682x1025.jpg
IHSH-107_RED_05-1025x682.jpg

I find it odd that SE doesn't alter denim beyond hemming. What's up with that?

also, that flannel is sex

We believe that the only thing that should be done to a pair of jeans is to shorten the length (with the proper machine) and to repair them once they've been worn for a while.  With hundreds of jeans available across all these brands we (and others) sell you can definitely find a fit that works for you.  A pair of jeans is supposed to be a piece of casual wear, it's not a suit, and shouldn't be treated as one. We don't want to see the top block torn apart to be reconstructed, we don't want to see a selvedge ID that's 3" wide because a taper was done from the outer leg, and so on...

With that said, there are loads of places you get those things done on any pair of jeans, just not at Self Edge.

Right, find me a skinnier 32oz denim. That's a very..specific attitude towards the denim community imo.

32oz? I can't tell if you're trolling here.. We don't mess with anything above 25oz, and even that is pushing it to the point where it becomes a novelty item.

Of course I'm not. I have a body type that limits me greatly in the world of denim (I'm 6' 135lbs), and I prefer heavy denim. There's only a handfull of jeans that fit me correctly and line up with my standards. Yes I bought 32oz denim, and yes I'm getting them tailored. I just feel like that comment is rather elitist and nonconforming to the overall message of the raw community. Meh.

Of course I'm not. I have a body type that limits me greatly in the world of denim (I'm 6' 135lbs), and I prefer heavy denim. There's only a handfull of jeans that fit me correctly and line up with my standards. Yes I bought 32oz denim, and yes I'm getting them tailored. I just feel like that comment is rather elitist and nonconforming to the overall message of the raw community. Meh.

Sorry, not trying to be elitist. You had asked why we don't alter jeans and I explained why we don't.

Edited by kiya

Well in more appropriate news I received the Wild Child wallet and damn I'm impressed.

This thing is a beast, and I know it'll only get better with age.

Now I just need a leather chain to pair with it.

Congrats on the wallet Broark.  Would love to see pics of the leather chain (with wallet) when you get it -- any thoughts on what you're after?

You don't NEED a leather chain.  There are other ways you can make sure you never lose your wallet!  ;-)

http://www.goodart.com/store/wallet-chains/model-16-wallet-chain.html

This is completely sincere, and not intended to be a slight or a challenge at all, but I'm really curious who is going to tailor your 32oz denim, and what kind of job they are going to do.  If you find somebody that is willing to take it on, and is capable of doing a good job, then that's really fucking awesome, but I find it really hard to believe that you're going to find someone with the appropriate machines for denim alteration that have them set up to be capable of working on 32oz denim.  

This is completely sincere, and not intended to be a slight or a challenge at all, but I'm really curious who is going to tailor your 32oz denim, and what kind of job they are going to do.  If you find somebody that is willing to take it on, and is capable of doing a good job, then that's really fucking awesome, but I find it really hard to believe that you're going to find someone with the appropriate machines for denim alteration that have them set up to be capable of working on 32oz denim.  

Yeah, no worries. I posted an open-ended question on reddit as to if it were even possible (knowing the limitations of such a material), and railcar responded really enthusiastically, saying they'd love the challenge to even attempt it. The comparison between two fairly well-known names in the denim world really made me shake my head a bit a SE. Anyways, I'm somewhat sure I'm going to want a full taper with these, which I know is rather unconventional, but I don't have too much invested in them and I'm rather excited to see what IS possible.

Before you draw a comparison between Railcar and Self Edge (full disclosure, if this isn't already obvious, I work for Self Edge) when it comes to taking on alterations, you should realize that it's totally an apples to oranges comparison because Self Edge is a denim retailer, with a specialty hemming and repairing studio.  Railcar is a full blown jeans production workshop, which among other things, means they have the multitude of machines and equipment necessary to properly construct a pair of jeans from start to finish.  If you have any standards whatsoever, you won't take on denim repair work without having the appropriate machine for the job.  I think it's rad that Railcar is stoked to give this a try.  Before you even get to the philosophical explanation for why alterations aren't a job that SE will take on, there is the fact that SE has only have a select few machines that serve the specific purposes necessary to the work that we do with repairs and hems.  

Edited by tmadd

Yeah man, I'm really not as serious as everyone else is about this. I'm not anti-SE because they won't tailor jeans. Ya'll have some really awesome products and I'm sure you will get my business in the future. Best believe I'll bring my 32's in and brag, though ^_^

You don't NEED a leather chain.  There are other ways you can make sure you never lose your wallet!  ;-)

http://www.goodart.com/store/wallet-chains/model-16-wallet-chain.html

Jeez, now that's even pushing it a little for me! That being said the Model 10 bracelet is on my long list of "wants"...

I've got my eye on the regular natural chain from Flat Head, nice and simple.

Yeah, no worries. I posted an open-ended question on reddit...

This all makes so much sense now...

32 oz. is completely ridiculous in my book but live your life.

Edited by Broark

Right, find me a skinnier 32oz denim. That's a very..specific attitude towards the denim community imo.

Yeah, no worries. I posted an open-ended question on reddit as to if it were even possible (knowing the limitations of such a material), and railcar responded really enthusiastically, saying they'd love the challenge to even attempt it. The comparison between two fairly well-known names in the denim world really made me shake my head a bit a SE. Anyways, I'm somewhat sure I'm going to want a full taper with these, which I know is rather unconventional, but I don't have too much invested in them and I'm rather excited to see what IS possible.

Yeah man, I'm really not as serious as everyone else is about this. I'm not anti-SE because they won't tailor jeans. Ya'll have some really awesome products and I'm sure you will get my business in the future. Best believe I'll bring my 32's in and brag, though ^_^

lol, thanks for stopping by, dude. 

Edited by TresUnCool

sorry to beat a dead horse but didnt N&F use machines meant to work on carpets and the like in order to construct those jeans. I can sympathize with the idea that altering jeans isn't up my alley, i also dont alter or substitute food when i order from a restaurant

Well in more appropriate news I received the Wild Child wallet and damn I'm impressed.

This thing is a beast, and I know it'll only get better with age.

Now I just need a leather chain to pair with it.

tumblr_mqcm659t281ro88rpo1_500.gif

you were the most patient customer I have ever seen man!  enjoy it!

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Kiya,

for the winter flannels from both Iron Heart and The Flat Head; are they pretty similar in terms of overall warmth, or is one  going to be considerably warmer than the other? are they relatively the same thickness as well?

i was planning on picking up a flannel next week while I was in NY, this question is relevant to me as well.