Superstitch Paris

NilsLW

I think it's about time that we start a proper thread for Superstitch Paris, a brand and denim store created by french denim enthusiast Arthur Leclerq.
Superstitch already has a great lineup of products such as the LR01, a 66 single repro, and the LR11, a type II jacket.
However, we have been teased that there is a 50s XX model coming soon which will probably make more people inclined to try the brand hence why I'm starting this thread.

1068051230_Skrmavbild2023-08-27kl_00_19_12.thumb.png.87b4ddd2517bbcb62a8f83269a572e09.png

@NilsLW cheers for this, good to seem him getting some love on here. Really admire what he is doing, I have a pair of the LR01 WH and everything about them is spot on. For what it is worth, I believe he had some affiliation with Hayashi-san of Resolute (maybe EU sales rep/distributor?) , and his LR01 conceptually is quite similar to the 710 model, but the cut is much much better. Love the 710 concept but felt the cut is not as well suited for a lot of body types so for anyone looking for a 66 model I would highly recommend the LR01. Looking forward to trying this 50s model at some point down the line 

Edited by Fooleo

awesome guy! when i met him in paris pre corona  , he  gave me a gold plated needle for the union special 432000g he said that the gold plating prevents the needle from heating up the cotton which is like whoaaa this  guy is like  one of us... or more

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I always thought gold was a good conductor of heat? send it to me Ed.. it'll be useless

It is

Any in any event the plating will only be a couple microns tops - it’ll make next to no difference regarding heat. File under the same nonsense at shiny/matte sides of aluminium foil

On 8/27/2023 at 7:32 PM, Duke Mantee said:

It is

Any in any event the plating will only be a couple microns tops - it’ll make next to no difference regarding heat. File under the same nonsense at shiny/matte sides of aluminium foil

But you can still put your jeans in the freezer when they smell right? Right!? ;)

Edited by UkeNo

21 hours ago, NilsLW said:

@AlientoyWorkmachine Or a pair of original redlines.

This. 

I’m starting to think the least special detail of ‘special’ edition jeans is the cone mills denim.  Can’t seem to find any special edition jeans not made with cone. I like the denim but it’s rarity since the factories closure hasn’t increased as much as you’d expect. 

They do look like nice jeans but, at that price point I’d opt for the standard pair regardless. 

Looks like it could be a case of cashing in on Cone (unless his Cone source are doing the cashing in).  3x the price of Maynard's 76s is steep.  Will be interesting to see if the 'normal' price for future jeans is closer to the LR03 price which is less than 50% of the 'special'.

The higher price tag on the limited edition LR01 probably has much more to do with them being sewn by Arthur himself on vintage sewing machines than them using a cone fabric. The white oak plant produced hundreds of thousands of yards of selvage denim over the years but a sizable amount leftover on the market is considered "second quality" and can sell for just a few dollars a yard. From his perspective, factoring shipping & import duties, I would be willing to bet the cost of using a Japanese denim vs. a deadstock cone would come out to being pretty comparable, so if he's already got a model with Japanese denim anyways might as well opt for the "original" 

Edited by Fooleo

Good points Fooleo - it may well be his super-sewing that's driving the price

Would be interested to know if he's sewn an LR01 himself using non-Cone so we can compare properly?  That would give us some insight

We do know... LR01 made in Japan with Japanese denim are 295 Euros; LR01 made in Paris with Cone are 700 Euros

It may be that both his sewing and the Cone combined make up the hike (I have only scanned the site and presume the LR01 details remain the same)

It does read to me though like he's making a marketing play on the Cone denim - 'LR01 Limited Edition in legendary Cone Mills White Oak Company deadstock denim fabric'. Not sure the average-Joe customer would consider the Cone denim quality... he's certainly not mentioning it (why would he)

I'm definitely not knocking anyone who chooses to buy a pair... in fact, it'd be great if someone on Sufu got a pair that we could see develop... 

Moreover, it's nice to see more brands getting air-time - long may that continue

I haven't seen his work yet. All his other products are made in Japan. So I don't know how much stuff he has actually made himself. If I just compare this price to the work of Roy who has sewn hundreds/thousands of jeans and using Cone denim as well (even developed for him) I see a big discrepanzy

Let’s assume, as Fooleo mentions, the price of the Cone denim he has is not significantly different to the Japanese denim he uses. His limited edition of 42 pairs should equal 2 rolls (Ande Whall would make 21 pairs of Special Roll from a single roll). You’d also assume he makes a profit on the €295 MiJ pairs after factoring in manufacturing costs and import duties. The fact he is making the Cone pairs on his own vintage machines is largely irrelevant as they’re a sunk cost, whether he owns them, rents them, pays via a loan, hire purchase, etc. Consequently we can deduce that if his profit margin remains the same as the Japanese pairs, he believes his labour is equivalent to the manufacturing and import costs of the Japanese made pairs PLUS an additional €405 per pair!

That or he’s just hyping up the Cone denim! :laugh2:

Wait, he's outsourced his production to Japan? I thought the whole original concept was that the jeans were cut and sewn by one guy?
I'm with b_F on this, other people have offered a similar, if not better, product for noticeably less money.
Nitpicking here, but I am slightly judgemental of people who still recommend the whole wear-the-jeans-in-the-bathtub-while-soaking thing in 2023.

All his stuff is made in Japan (except the t-shirt and hoody). He offers to hem/taper the jeans to fit your style. He also offers repairs (although we had one member here whi wasn't that happy about the turnaround time).

I'm sure he is a good guy and his skills are good. I am just skeptical about the asking price in general.

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK