WW2 repro / detailed jeans

Flash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That yoke looks crazy what's the back rise on that pair? 

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I’m just seeing these exaggerated ‘machinist errors’ as a bit of a joke now. Every new effort seems to want to outdo the last one.

I know I have a slightly different view to how this ‘poor quality’ might have manifested itself originally but these modern iterations just don’t convey the spirit of wartime efforts - more like they are ‘ripping the arse out of it’*

*reproduced from The Dictionary of Modern Scottish Language (current edition)

Edited by Duke Mantee

5 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Honestly, I’m just seeing these exaggerated ‘machinist errors’ as a bit of a joke now. Every new effort seems to want to outdo the last one.

I know I have a slightly different view to how this ‘poor quality’ might have manifested itself originally but these modern iterations just don’t convey the spirit of wartime efforts - more like they are ‘ripping the arse out of it’*

*reproduced from The Dictionary of Modern Scottish Language (current edition)

I agree. Trying to carefully reproduce the imperfection looks ridiculous at the very least. 

This deliberate shoddy manufacturing style has been discussed previously at great length either early on in the CSF thread or Denimbro (or both) and is a bit marmite - folks tend to love it or hate it. It’s not for me but each to their own.

The offset drives my ocd nuts. 
I can get into very minor offset but something so intentional comes off as being poorly sewn in my opinion. Haha  where is the quality control ;) 

47 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

This deliberate shoddy manufacturing style has been discussed previously at great length either early on in the CSF thread or Denimbro (or both) and is a bit marmite - folks tend to love it or hate it. It’s not for me but each to their own.

I don’t think it was ever something I loved or hated, but those old discussions are old and that just reinforces my lack of enjoyment for what’s being made now. We’ve seen it done … and probably done better.

It’s a tough one though, because every label just want to sell their product and if war denim and that era is the thing they want to push then who am I to complain? After all I make a mean 30s-40s belt 😉

13 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I don’t think it was ever something I loved or hated, but those old discussions are old and that just reinforces my lack of enjoyment for what’s being made now. We’ve seen it done … and probably done better.

It’s a tough one though, because every label just want to sell their product and if war denim and that era is the thing they want to push then who am I to complain? After all I make a mean 30s-40s belt 😉

Care to add some wonky imperfections to your belts?😁

I wouldn't want this thread to unravel... but it's like going into a 30s repro thread (if one existed) and saying what's the point of adding a cinch and suspender buttons to the jeans, or a 50s thread and asking for a 25cm rise instead.   Or looking at the latest TCB 1890s repro and questioning why there's only one pocket...

If the manufacturers are doing a repro, then if what they're copying has wonky-ness then I'd expect them to replicate that.  It's just a feature of the time. When the bloke above snips off the extra thread and gets some wear into the jacket, it'll come up looking grand imo.

I'm a sucker for a variety of denim jackets... so happy to embrace the repro features... 

I am always taken by how the industry does reinvent and evolve itself with new versions or repeated versions of repeated versions... the new 1942s, the 1890s, the... will it ever end... hopefully not... long live Sufu!

Loved my Csf S501XX when l got it back in 2016 but it didn't have any wild wonky stitching at all apart from the pleat stitching maybe but l still thought it was quite subtle. The Denim and cotton stitching gave it that aura of the Real deal though and l'm glad l still have the 41 and 44 WW2 jeans.

The FW1942's are actually based on  pre-WW2 501's and they were a kind of test sample materials- wise (eg new denim and copper coated iron) but still pre-war in terms of quality construction not under any necessary constraints or pressures.

Hopefully FW will convey this in their reproduction of them although l'm under little doubt as l've preordered both.

Edited by Dr_Heech

1 hour ago, Dr_Heech said:

The FW1942's are actually pre-WW2 jeans as they are a kind of test sample materials- wise (eg new denim and copper coated iron) 

Reopening the chat with @shredwin_206 @Duke Mantee in the FW thread on the 42 denim...

I'm hearing again that the denim is not new (it's the WW2 denim used on the recent models) however the features are new.  I know Shred heard the opposite...

x-wires somewhere... 

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

Reopening the chat with @shredwin_206 @Duke Mantee in the FW thread on the 42 denim...

I'm hearing again that the denim is not new (it's the WW2 denim used on the recent models) however the features are new.  I know Shred heard the opposite...

x-wires somewhere... 

When l said new denim l meant for the 501xx at the time, so a change from the standard 1937 denim to the WW2 denim, even though the US weren't officially at war at the time. So another transitional model really.

Edit- decided to change the wording in my original post for clarity.

Edited by Dr_Heech
typo