Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

That's not really from the archival line. The archival line is made with Horween leather, Real McCoy's buckles and repro vintage Vibrams. They will retail from $400 and up.

Not to dis Chippewa, (they are a frustratingly confused company) That's just the same ol' shit that they've had in Japan for years. 

Well, I guess I'll blow up the spots.

Chippewa's US made archival line that is suppose to rival Wolverine 1000 and Red Wing has finally dropped.  They're up now on Zappos:

http://www.zappos.com/chippewa-men~2#!/chippewa-men~2?s=isNew/desc/goLiveDate/desc/recentSalesStyle/desc/

The engineer from the archival line already has a few size left

2373490-3-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Having made the transition from sneakers to shoes, Redwing's hands down for are perfect. Qualtiy is amazing and I've had mine for 3 years now and their still going strong. They just look better with age. Thinking of picking up this pair. Any thoughts ?

http://thegreat-divide.com/collections/red-wing/products/red-wing-moc-toe-6-boot-oxblood

I have those red wings...I love how they look; there are some pics floating around this thread somewhere.  I took a look at the red wing product page the other day and I don't think these are being made anymore.

In the internet pictures the soles look like the cork soles used on the Iron Ranger, but they are not.  They are a relatively dense foam rubber type of material.

@dmikey I have the shoe version of that boot and they are pretty awesome.  I recommend them, the only hesitations I would have are:

-They definitely don't have a lot of sole grip and can be slippery on ice/etc.  

-They mark up/patina very aggressively.  I mean, tones of red/pink come through at stress points and they get very marbly very quickly (I think it is awesome - but just something to be aware of - they show wear)

You don't the seal of approval from an internet forum, If you like them go ahead and buy them.

Quoted for absolute truth. Individuality is rarely found when under the influence of forum-based groupthink...

If only i had managed to squeeze the word "need" between the words "don't" and "the" it would have made sense.

Damn you brain!!

Trying to pick a pair of boots for fall/winter here in Oregon. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of Yuketen Maine Guides versus the Oak Street Camp Boots?[/size]

Yuks always seem spendy for me. Don't know about oak street but I highly rate Russell mocs and you can get as much customisation as you want.

Oak Street boots use very thin chromexcel leather which stretched like mad. I was impressed with the finishing and attention to detail, but not ruggedness.

Yuketen on the other hand is very much in line with Russell or White's in terms of build quality. Just don't pick suede and you will do fine. The waxed rough out chromexcel is insane, super super thick.

I miss my Yuks dearly, but I'm firmly between sizes and can't make them work for me.

What do your soles currently look like? Can we see pics? You may just be resoling too soon.

i drag my feet so they wear down on one side faster than the other. i think i got a few more months left until theyre completely unstable.

photo18_zpsd091ed62.jpg

photo17_zpsb7a15051.jpg

got my favorite pair of early 80s orange tab 517s on today

photo19_zps2b948734.jpg

here they are less than a year ago fresh from red wing

nothing special, just my got my 875s back from their second resole

photo3.jpg

ps

how come most the shoes posted look like theyre brand new? cant really determine if they look better with age or maybe dudes dont smash them up.

am i wrong to expect about 2 years from a resole? ive only gotten about 4-5 months serious use out of them and they are work boots.

bonus beats for the momotaros. its pretty much the end of stone fruit season. these are the last of the peaches out back, though im partial to nectarines.

photo20_zps0bf22345.jpg

photo21_zpsc927fe5b.jpg

white flesh peach warm from the sun straight off the tree.... got any of those?

You do seem to grind through those soles quickly, not sure the vibram christy will be much longer lasting, maybe you should consider some other sole styles like the vibram lug which is much longer lasting.

white peaches are seasonal earlier in the summer. i know theyre widely loved but personally i cant get with those science experiment fruits. gold plums, white peaches, blood oranges, im just not a fan of. i know its just psychological but i feel like they taste more like peaches when theyre the normal orange color. the ones above are elberta freestones, my preference when it comes to peaches.

as far as soles, i know it may seem odd based off the grubbiness of the boots, but stylistically i have a soft spot for the wedge soles. my grandpa rocked em and a rockabilly dude who's styles i always admired wore the pecos wedgies. i'll probably just suck it up and keep dropping them off at the red wing store until these completely fall apart. 

No that's not odd at all, we all have preferences. The softer compound of the white wedge does make them comfortable, but there is a trade off. I do know the vibram morflex wedge is thicker than the redwing wedge, maybe you should look into that one. It could turn out longer lasting too.

Did not know white flesh peaches were a 'man made' variety. My favorite are the flat ones I have to say. We barely have the climate for growing them here though so it is only when I travel to southern europe that I really indulge.

awesome! thanks for the help. the vibram site says theyre lighter as well, cant front on that.

yeah, im not so sure if white peaches are mutant man made joints. im just biased against them and feel like all that white flesh varietal stuff is some city-fied hoohaw. its dumb but the yellow peaches seem more down-homey and less uppity if that makes any sense. but i do prefer the taste of regular ass freestone yellow peaches, white peaches kinda taste like diet peach or something like that. just a weaker peach flavor if you ask me. still havent tried those flat peaches. i think youre refering to donut peaches? they look legit though. one of the benefits of living out in the cut, come harvest time neighbors and friends be unloading like whole flats of fruits and vegetables on you, straight from the trees. thanks again for the help!

Yes quite normal..... according to the many complaints that come up here.

is it normal for alden's stiching to be coming loose after one month of daily wear? Loose stitching on both shoe. 

It's only normal if you got a crappy pair (which is becoming more and more frequent).  The stitching on mine is still good after 2+ years.  I did have a nail come up through the heel area I had to pull out though.

New (to me, slightly used) Allen Edmonds Bentley in Walnut.  They're no longer being made, so I got a really great deal on them from a local guy that was unloading a bunch of pairs of shoes.

9580471448_1b33e44d82_c.jpg

Edited by cander49

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...