Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Raul of Willie's Shoe service / Don Ville gave me an awesome polishing tutorial yesterday. I've polished these Grensons several times in the five or six years I've owned them, but they've never looked so good!

IMAGE_7F29CFEF-0FFC-4357-A1DE-3298EDD3053A.JPG

IMAGE_1A416D6B-2FF2-405A-A0D6-5B0E2DAB5349.JPG

IMAGE_6C151608-44C8-4332-B7AE-AC70C522B363.JPG

IMAGE_6AE53271-C72C-452C-B654-B9504F15D1E6.JPG

IMAGE_C35433B8-ABCE-4987-B684-0772176FB7E7.JPG

IMAGE_58C76A1F-E519-4508-A78B-E313B115AA1E.JPG

got same problem with symmetry.

with girth, usually it's simple DIY, but for tweaking the length let the local cobbler dial it in for you. half-size is very doable.

matter of fact, i just dropped off my WL TOW this morning for some heavy duty stretching :(

Minding touching on the simple DIY fix for girth issues?

Due to my very high instep, the left boot of my new Bounty Hunters takes me about 10 minutes, and a lot of swearing, to put on, the right boot is fine.

I think that my left foot must have a higher instep than my right. Any suggestions to make this easier? Once the boot is actually on it feels perfect.

Due to my very high instep, the left boot of my new Bounty Hunters takes me about 10 minutes, and a lot of swearing, to put on, the right boot is fine.

I think that my left foot must have a higher instep than my right. Any suggestions to make this easier? Once the boot is actually on it feels perfect.

as suggested to Aries, let your local cobbler tweak/dial in the stretch for you. it's not worth it to DIY the stretching on heavy duty boots. what will take them 2 days = a couple of weeks of agonizing pain & unnecessary discomfort.

edit: oh, btw, carefully check the boots 1st for dissimilarities. my friend MTOed a pair of SDs 4mos ago with similar complaints regarding instep & the arc ease hitting the wrong/different spot on his left foot. it turned out there were some measurement discrepancies [right vs left] + the arc ease on the left was higher/different shape than the right.

i suggested he take photos & send it to Kyle with explanations ... w/c he did. long story short, he sent them back & White's re-did the order.

Edited by BrownMetallic

It's a constant thorn in my side that none of my pictures of my WW2 Lotus veldtschoen actually do them any justice, but I thought that some of you might appreciate these pics of a pretty fucking decent job that the Shoe Healer did of resoling them.

The sole split a while ago, and whilst they were on their original soles the trim had been ground down right up to the stitch-down, meaning that Richard Smith wasn't sure that his team would have enough room to work. I was prepared for the worst...

Before

007ap.jpg

008uaz.jpg

008uaz.jpg

After

003kop.jpg

001ckr.jpg

I know that natural sole edges are a little faddy, but I doubt you've seen one on a boot like this...

005vos.jpg

And hopefully, I'm done with the shearling Galways till next winter, although with the way that the English weather has unfolded recently then I'm not counting my chickens...

002qtnk.jpg

Some superficial 'damage' to the sole from bearing the brunt of the winter weather. Going to take a steer from EG as to who is best to handle the little repair due to their policy on repairs by 'outsiders'.

006tvt.jpg

The walnut country calf has started showing some subtle colour variations; I'd heard it said that it was a 'flat' colour but I reckon these will look stunning in a couple or three years time.

005hz.JPG

^looking good, dude!

That shop apron is 11/10 as well.

For real, man. Raul LOVES that thing, and it shows. Next time I'm in there I'll try to remember to get pictures. And we should put his shop on the list of places to visit when you're in town!

Do you recall what product he used for the edges?

We actually didn't treat the edges with anything special - just cleaned them and then treated them with a neutral creme. Everything we used was Saphir.

Edited by dkatz

coleslawyum that's one hell of a beautiful wear on those boots that certainly looked better with age.

CTB great work done by richard. i have a pair of zug boots that are due for a bit of resoling soon but was hesitant on how natural soles would work, alas you have taken the plunge and they do look great and deserve that new lease of life! beautiful boot collection as always.

neat work, I like it.

I have the very same pair of Tricker's but in dark brown, and they're in dire need of a resole at the moment, too. Might try something similar, but I have yet to find a cobbler who I trust enough to handle him such a precious pair of shoes..

^Nice boots Snake.

I just got these from the Wesco factory seconds page. I believe they were a Wesco Japan custom that came back. Burguindy leather, black lining, black stitching and what Wesco calls "black" roller buckles.

8652945729_dfb3f75827_z.jpg

8654046868_d9018bd354_z.jpg

Hardly a flaw at all. That should blend in quite quickly.

8654046706_e3bcab9b94_z.jpg

haven't posted in here for a while! I just picked up my much loved duckers chukka boots from a resole. They're 5 years or so old by now, and I wear them a lot. The stitching had torn where the uppers are fixed down, which has been patches inside and resewn, and the soles were completely shot. This is the 4th or 5th resole by now, this time I went for Dainite studded rubber. Done by Rompsky's in Fulham- I'm really happy with how they came out!

8663826984_092a3a903d_z.jpg

8662727547_056c2b83c3_z.jpg

8662726453_d788a9914c_z.jpg

8663824036_b2970b3082_z.jpg

8662724581_c4af213d56_z.jpg

8662723983_13d2828938_z.jpg

received a new pair of vibergs yesterday. viberg 1950 service boots in brown horsehide, so shoes that (hopefully going to) look better with age some day!

bild001l.jpg

wore them the whole day yesterday...comfortable from the start:

bild018du.jpg

Edited by ThinFinn

received a new pair of vibergs yesterday. viberg 1950 service boots in brown horsehide, so shoes that (hopefully going to) look better with age some day!

bild001l.jpg

wore them the whole day yesterday...comfortable from the start:

WOW! That´s a great looking boot! Probably the best looking boot I have ever seen. I got almost the same makeup, but from White's.

Horse Hide is GREAT! So subtle, yet durable and heavy.

Enjoy these and post pics often B)

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...