Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I do not envy your feet this month. That's going to be a challenging break-in.

Yeah, out of the box they looked menacingly tough & solid ... like those Dutch wooden clogs. The upturn-toed triple leather soles echo [that] reference as I trial-walked on the carpet in a rocking motion. But, hell if I'm going for a comp boots I'm taking the road less traveled.

Srsly tho, I'd like to try some less known brand that's been discussed, but not tried. if the reverse waxed kip is even remotely similar to my SJ rough-outs, the leather would break in faster than the smooth outs. Btw, the kip is thicker the r/o.

Edited by BrownMetallic

IE, great decision to get a pair of those Old Joes, truly lovely boots.

Really curious on the evo of these.

So you managed to track down a pair, what size did you end up getting?

excuse my english but i didn't understand..

i want to know if size 10 , for example, is really a 10 or a 11 or a 9.

i have read that they are oversized 1 size on some sites and undersized on others...

From my experience, I wear a size 8.5 in almost all of my boots and the Wolverines that I've got are 8.5. I have no idea about the boots being sized up. Its the first time I've heard this.

From my experience, boots vary more in width than in length, so for the most part a US 8.5 is around the same length. The only time I've encountered sizing issues is with Japanese boots. Those are usually larger than the tagged size, some sizes off by 1 whole size.

You got to try on the boots, its really the best way.

i cannot try wolverine in france, very difficult to find them and very expensives (400 euros/640$ for 1000 miles)

for the sizing question look for example at :

https://www.google.com/search?q=wolverine+1000+miles+sizing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&client=firefox-a

the 2 first answers.

i'll follow your experience and take the tts

i cannot try wolverine in france, very difficult to find them and very expensives (400 euros/640$ for 1000 miles)

for the sizing question look for example at :

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

the 2 first answers.

i'll follow your experience and take the tts

You might want to get your feet sized up to make sure what it is.

Never compare sneaker size, moccasin size, vans etc, etc with shoe or boots size. The shoes size will always be smaller.

Some basic guidelines I usually follow using my US size as a base:

- Japan: minus half / whole size

- UK: minus whole size

- US: true to size

The widths really depend upon the last. I have shoes that are C, D and E, so it varies.

A UK E is usually like a US D.

Yo Coleslaw!

You posted about the new Chippewa 'Original' coming this August, I never could find much info elsewhere other than that Archival website so I asked Chippewa directly. Even they were a bit cagey still, this is all I could get from them!

I'm really surprised about the lack of marketing these boots have. Really strange. I figure Chippewa would want to stoke the fire when all that workwear out there.

Yes I have to say it was absolutely flawless, I'll definitely be using them again. The website too is very well designed actually.

edit: What do people recommend in terms of caring for natural CXL? Would some mutton tallow do the job? I've also got Venetian cream (neutral), but not sure if that's appropriate.

Edited by Aries

can someone say me if the wolverine 1000 mile are tts ?

My experience was that they run 1/2 size large. I'm a 11D TTS and wore a 10.5D in wolverine 1k. That seems to be the general recommendation from the style forum thread and dealers like Leffot. Of course YMMV, as others have mentioned, TTS works for some.

Yes I have to say it was absolutely flawless, I'll definitely be using them again. The website too is very well designed actually.

edit: What do people recommend in terms of caring for natural CXL? Would some mutton tallow do the job? I've also got Venetian cream (neutral), but not sure if that's appropriate.

I used Obenauf HDLP on my OSB natural CXL trench boot as I wanted some water resistance. It darkened them a bit but not too much, IMO. CXL is a pull up leather so it's chock full of waxes and oils from the tanning process. If you desire additional water resistance something like HDLP would work. If you just want to condition, Venetian would likely do the trick as well but I don't have any experience with the stuff. Horween recommends it on some of their producta (i.e., shell) so it certainly wouldn't hurt any.

My experience was that they run 1/2 size large. I'm a 11D TTS and wore a 10.5D in wolverine 1k. That seems to be the general recommendation from the style forum thread and dealers like Leffot. Of course YMMV, as others have mentioned, TTS works for some.

thanks for your answer, i have ordered tts.

did you put some extra sole on yours ?

anyone ever tried stretching a pair of Viberg Service Boots 2030 last?...

having a pair 8.5 but they´re a bit snug up front...just need a little bit more room!

Are you normally an 8.5 UK size or did you size down? I got the Viberg Service boots from Superdenim in an 11 UK and they fit well although same as you I found the toes area fine lengthways but needed to stretch the width using a shoe stretcher.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...