Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

demonator

I correction about leather on sagara. sagara imperial using 4.5 – 5 Oz Calf Leather in colour whiskey and Goodyear Welted Construction. so you wrong man :wink:

Can i ask if you are happy with your purchase from Sagara as i am considering their shoes ?

i like the new look of the fiennes and i am glad cheaney has had the sense to put speed hooks on those for a boot that high. it really does make taking them off and putting them on a lot easier (and faster). i have a pair of tricker's zug grain country boot which is a 8" boot and i usually have to work up a sweat when putting them on. the profile on the fiennes looks pretty good and would definitely be an option to pick up if i didnt already have 2 pairs of similar looking boots. surprised that the prices seem to have gone up though. i don't remember cheaney being priced this high in the past? was this a recent hike?

The price increase happened (mainly) last year, but they're still a good price in comparison to other, similar models. Cheaney have produced some consistently good models over the years, even if they haven't been as spectacular as the some of the other brands that still produce in Northampton. I mentioned a good few pages ago that I rate their country footwear, especially their veldts which seem to be produced on the same patterns as the old Tecnic models.

Speed hooks are definitely a good idea, and it's one of many things I like about my C&J boots, too...

Thank the Lord this place has a few pages of Trickers, and other English lovelies.

Some of the stack heel montrostities, with curled up toes are frankly hideous.

Clown shoes...

Seriously, some of the boots on here are repulsive (to my tastes).

Probably for the same reasons as me and a few others... :D

Funny though how this thread often seems to go in cycles, alternating between English and North American footwear every few pages...

nah, bro! you've been gracious & generous with your extensive experience & specialized knowledge of [ie, most especially] English boots. you're one of a handful whose kept this thread interesting & rolling. you've earned respect from us peeps here.

my comment was directed to Steve7. i mean, you dont do a couple of posts & rag on other peeps taste & style. that's just plain rude__ like gate-crashing a party & spitting on the punch bowl.

You Must Create stocking William Lennon, somewhat inflated retail but not overly so, and presumably no waiting on made to order. Still cheap as chips for English clogs.

Looks like the 178 plain toe derby and the B5 replica.

http://www.youmustcr...m-lennon-boots/

interesting. i'm up for a WL build, but haven't got around to ask whether they can do a "Tug Of War" on Dainite or half-sole [low-profile] Commando like on the Ultimate Indy.

anyway, how do you size those YMC collabs? 'might just skip the foreplay ;)

i'm Alden Indy US8E = White's SD US8E = Tricker's Malton UK7.5 fitting 6. tnx in advance.

Edited by BrownMetallic

Thanks hoggreaser for your help , i have an old pair of Loake brogues i must have bought them 20 yrs ago for a wedding thats about the only time i wear them , they fit lovely so i thought I'd have a look on the inside it says "last 85-6" I'll be honest i don't understand the technical side of shoe and boot making and where i live near Blackpool i can only think of one shop there that would stock Loake so it's a case of reading and asking questions

nah, bro! you've been gracious & generous with your extensive experience & specialized knowledge of [ie, most especially] English boots. you're one of a handful whose kept this thread interesting & rolling. you've earned respect from us peeps here.

interesting. i'm up for a WL build, but haven't got around to ask whether they can do a "Tug Of War" on Dainite or half-sole [low-profile] Commando like on the Ultimate Indy.

anyway, how do you size those YMC collabs? 'might just skip the foreplay ;)

i'm Alden Indy US8E = White's SD US8E = Tricker's Malton UK8 fitting 6. tnx in advance.

Very kind mate, cheers! This thread works best when there's a good mix of discussion and also pics of boots both new and old; kicks the arse outta the other threads on this site...

Go for an 8 if you wear an 8 in the Malton. From what I know, you should be fine.

@hog & crash_ sorry, mates, my Maltons are actually 7.5(6) which i can only wear with thin socks. i'm, actually in-between sizes on the 4444 last. 'got wide asian feet w/c are anatomically apropos for trampling & keeping balance on the rice paddies__ as i quip to CTB :)

for something more rugged boots like the Tug Of War, i need a bit wiggle room as i plan to wear them with thicker socks. i checked inside measurements on my boots & i'd need 10 3/8" or around 26.5 cm inside measurement.

***btw, the Aden Indys are on Trubalance last w/c runs 1/2 size bigger & the White's SD i got are on "Swing" last ... w/c also runs 1/2 size bigger.

Edited by BrownMetallic

I don't know how official this is, but the guys over on styleforum have a few "group buys" going on, where I believe at least four (4) people with the same *width* agree on a mto shoe or boot, and buy for around 355 GBP/ 550-600 USD. The only factor that can change is the length if I'm not mistaken.

Welp. Found it. Have a gander. http://www.styleforum.net/t/241668/trickers-mto-forum-group-buy

Apologies for the heresy.

Edit: 200th post. Vossop.

Edited by bestie

@hog & crash_ sorry, mates, my Maltons are actually 7.5(6) which i can only wear with thin socks. i'm, actually in-between sizes on the 4444 last. 'got wide asian feet w/c are anatomically apropos for trampling & keeping balance on the rice paddies__ as i quip to CTB :)

Indeed, I'd forgotten about that! Stick with the 8 then, if you have to wear thin socks with a 7.5 Malton - couldn't guarantee the width of the WL boots though, and that might still be an issue with an 8. Maybe speak to the factory and see if they have the option to use a wider last?

I think those Fiennes possibly are veldts, CBT.

8153544548_c232a08468_z.jpg

- but I'm basing that off comparing to the Pennine! No actual mention of it on site which is odd.

8153544436_7bf05b5d82_z.jpg

.. and still divided over jodphurs here, and yeah it's a funny word to type just doesn't feel right somehow! Bit like not having laces, not sure I'd be able to cope!

PS - Ben, those EG's above are fantastic, simply fantastic. Is that moc cap or real?

And yes, the Fiennes boots are veldts. Fuck knows why they're not advertising them as such...Richard Shoe Healer confirmed it this morning.

i need a pair of leather soled semi dress' in my life. i personally would go close trim (single welt stitch) for a leather sole, as I think it looks more balanced. my bounty hunters have double welt stitching and it def. looks good with the half comp sole, although I will most likely get a full vibram sole come resole time/

english boot or not, i love my boots all the same. my white's do have a number of bad dings but i'm not too bothered about it... recently sent a pair of tricker's x present navy boots to richard for a resole. they were originally on a vibram moreflex sole (which i hate and don't wear them as much because of the soles). getting a single leather with commando sole put on. will post pictures of that when they get back to me.

tricker's zug grain boots for grahame fowler

8163370706_ba17227915.jpg

8163370574_57484f0250.jpg

white's bounty hunter CXL

8163370464_7350fa65ed.jpg

8163370330_e100f5385b.jpg

8163338097_34cb309cf9.jpg

8163370172_3fee474acd.jpg

alfred sargent kelso (bonus picture of unworn AS kelso's with mysterious wear after being in the box for too long)

8163337915_e7c2a2d796.jpg

8163369930_6d5a432501.jpg

8163369868_c4e4c56709.jpg

Edited by ranonranonarat

Very nice, Ranon. How come the Kelsos have been collecting dust? Do you keep to a couple of pairs only at a time, or are you not loving them?

Richard currently has two pairs of shoes and a pair of chukkas from me for new soles...

Currently on my way down to London to have a look at the shops on Jermyn Street. Taking the old veldt boots into Edward Green as the shop manager said that he'd like to see them at some point...

CTB,

How many pairs of boots and shoes do you currently wear (on rotation that is, as I assume it's only one at a time)?

All of them - everything I own gets worn at some point. I tend to stick to smooth for Monday to Thursday for work and grainy/battered for Friday to Sunday but in no particular order.

I'll go through phases of wearing certain things, same as with jeans (most of the jeans I wear are at least three years old from raw) and this is just according to whim.

Like jeans, I'd like my boots to last as long as possible and keeping them on a limited rotation will just shorten their shelf life. Plus, some of my boots are decades old and can't be replaced.

Definitely not a fan of retiring jeans and footwear. Shit only starts to get interesting after a few years if worn from new, no?

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...