Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I think I quite like the upturned toe of the hill boot - '88' last, pretty sure that's what the type 01 has been built on, certainly look that way - but I wonder how it'd do for regular tramping about town. Guess there's only one way to find out..

@ LFC4ever, good info mate! Have you been busy? ;)

Sure have will post pictures in 6 weeks or so :D

Yes have asked WL for clarification on which last they used for the Dundas.

Previously they told me:

"Yes the Dundas boot does have a slightly turned up toe-end due to the last used for their style 01 - we could use the same last as this for you as Dundas do not have exclusivity to the last shape."

Hey guys!

I´m going to buy a new pair of boots, looking at a dressier pair. I got Alden Indy, Wolverine 1000 mile and a few more.

I´m eyeing either Crockett & Jones - Coniston (I got the Grasmere and they´re the same last).

Or Carmina Shell Cordovan - Model 861

Both pairs are pricey but I´d like some advice about what´s best value for my money...

Does anyone have any experience with Carmina? I have with CJ and they are SUPERquality!

Ive got the hill boot too. Id doubt its the same as the dundas....its a VERY upturned toe.

dsc_0071-0.jpg

These.

But with a thicker sole and waxy 'normal' laces instead of leather (less likely to come undone if walking any distance, in my experience).

Hey guys!

I´m going to buy a new pair of boots, looking at a dressier pair. I got Alden Indy, Wolverine 1000 mile and a few more.

I´m eyeing either Crockett & Jones - Coniston (I got the Grasmere and they´re the same last).

Or Carmina Shell Cordovan - Model 861

Both pairs are pricey but I´d like some advice about what´s best value for my money...

Does anyone have any experience with Carmina? I have with CJ and they are SUPERquality!

Carmina look very nice, but possibly a little dainty for my own tastes.

I know a lot of people rave about their different models.

in regards to sizing of the William Lennon boots; they advised me to go for size 8UK if wearing thick socks or size 7 for regular socks (that means sizing down half size because im a true 8.5US) They say the last of the 78N should be generous enough. Look at the construction of these puppies (steel toe tips and horse heels). Mine won't have the steel pins across the sole though, thats a bit too hard core, even for me

8079662067_b1b5b4ed71.jpg

Treble Hobs 2 by SLAB13, on Flickr

^you mean like the Derby Boots?

btw, 'not much of a leather-sole dude.

i've seen the more chunky, lug-type Vibram commando sole version on some of the boot models.

you think WL would take orders for a lower profile commando soles?... eg, Tricker's Malton Commando

Edited by BrownMetallic

Would the boots level out a bit of time, you reckon?

Prolly. Mine dont get any use just cause they arent my bag really. Too extreme toe for me.

Also, I left them back in Barcelona when moving back to Sweden.

And it makes sense dundas and the hill boot are not the same last. Just as I figured. They look a lot more like the 78TC.

Edited by denimjunky

Looks like Bond has made the switch from Church's to Crockett & Jones in 'Skyfall':

James-Bond-Skyfall-Image.jpg

And on a different note, I came across some new Loake shoes and they were actually marked as being 'made in India', so it looks as though they're not even being assembled here any more.

Shame, as Loake made some decent, sturdy shoes back in the day.

And I can't remember ever having seen K Shoes getting a mention on here (or elsewhere). I come across old models of theirs often, and they always seem to have stood the test of time very well. This pair below have only been conditioned, and look in great shape even without a polish:

dsc04983je.jpg

And these English-made, denim Dr Martens definitely hit the mark...

I have Crocketts and Carminas in calf. Although Carmina has very nice lasts en some details that are only found on Crockett handgrades the leather of the uppers is far better on the Crocketts.

Compairing calf to cordovan is not really fair though. When going tor cordovan I'd peronally go for Alden.

btw, 'not much of a leather-sole dude.

i've seen the more chunky, lug-type Vibram commando sole version on some of the boot models.

you think WL would take orders for a lower profile commando soles?... eg, Tricker's Malton Commando

^Drop them a line, they're very happy to answer queries.

Plus, and this is a big plus, MTO comes as standard as each pair is made individually...

tnx, mate!

'got my eyes on a commando-soled Tug Of War 268T or Derby boots.

Edited by BrownMetallic

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...