Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Good point Julian, hadn't considered applying those.
Another point I should've mentioned is that I've also been considering the JM Weston 180 loafer in beechnut suede.
The JM Weston seem a bit more dressy and my style is more casual, but I saw some in person in Paris and they were really well made.
1141GBW1801FP_1800x1800_crop_center.png?
1141GBW1801FF_1800x1800_crop_center.png?

31 minutes ago, Broark said:

Getting a little in the weeds here, but looking to buy a pair of Alden snuff suede loafers.
Is the LHS version (6243F) really that much of an upgrade over the machine sewn version (6221L)?
The general consensus seems to be that the LHS version is higher quality, but I was leaning towards the 6221L given the rubber sole.
Looking at photos online and it's hard to tell much of a difference. Might be easier to tell in person, but I don't have that option unfortunately.
Generally I'm not a fan of leather soles, but most people don't seem to mind the flex leather one from Alden.
6243F:
22A3297D-9E70-45B0-BA4E-DAE38048609F-sca
6221L:
D77550DF-4408-4283-8BA0-986E71A92A23-sca

I like the softer lines and toe bump of the LHS but the wait time can be huge. If you have a pair of non shell Alden Indy’s, the faux moc toe stitching will be machine sewn so you could imagine that on a loafer. The shell Indy’s are hand sewn. 

Have you checked The Shoe Mart for factory seconds of the LHS? You should be able to get some for 30-40% discount

14 minutes ago, yung_flynn said:

I like the softer lines and toe bump of the LHS but the wait time can be huge. If you have a pair of non shell Alden Indy’s, the faux moc toe stitching will be machine sewn so you could imagine that on a loafer. The shell Indy’s are hand sewn. 

Have you checked The Shoe Mart for factory seconds of the LHS? You should be able to get some for 30-40% discount

No experience with shell moc-toes, but good point of reference!
The Shoe Mart actually has my size in stock for the LHS but not for the factory seconds unfortunately. I've kept an eye on those in the past, might be worthwhile.

I know that the big Alden-heads really hate the mechanically sewn models, but I have not seen them in person so my knowledge is all secondhand. They could actually be bad or it could just be frustration at change. I've never really dabbled in Alden loafers because my feet make loafer sizing very difficult and I'm never in a place with an Alden stockist for long enough to get properly sized. It's also relatively hard to find secondhand pairs in long and narrow sizes to take a quick sizing flyer.

Alden Model Project compiles all the second hand listings too if you can find a pair in your size. I would not pay much more than $200 - non-shell loafers don't hold the same resale value as their boots.

https://aldenmodelproject.com/

I wouldn't say the handsewn is inherently higher quality. The resulting look is slightly different. 

I have a pair of Alden shell tassel loafers (from shoe mart factory seconds, with possibly fewer imperfections than my first quality models -- that's a tale for another time), and I like the machine stitch on the apron.  It's a bit "neater" and that makes it a bit dressier than the handsewn, which works for what I wear them for.  Of course, if you are going for something more casual, then that won't be an issue.  I think there is a place for both.

IMG_6372.thumb.jpg.d03a18584690ce814ec47a8be51fe26b.jpg