Levi's Vintage Clothing

I really like the selvage of the 83s, not that narrow as with the 33s...

i´d like to see the 1890s which are my faves from the old days, because of the beautiful rivets, but i guess there are variation with like with the 44s...

can anybody guess why levis hasn´t intrudecd a 1936 501 yet???

The 1890s are beautiful. The new model look slightly different to the old ones, a more curly arcuate, which they've generally swtiched to. Which is fine... the originals show both. If these are like the 1901s, they should age beautifully. My 1890s (which were £50 from yoox) have very hairy fabric.

WHy the 1936? Isn't it basically the same as the 37?

For rivet freaks, just because I have it, here's the early LVC rivets with the patent numbers, from the 1880 Nevada raw.

1880rivet.jpg

Last week I got the responses to a Q&A with Cone, mainly about their work with Levi's, that had some wonderful information. I plan to put this up at www.trynka.com soon - ish, I'll probably post here too. AS time goes on, I might well add Q&As with a few more denim peopl - mostly about historic stuff, as there's lot of great informaiton on current makes out there on exisitng blogs.

I'm also slowly getting to grips with the difference between the various LVC fabrics - slowly, as sometimes Cone have to check with Levi's before they can release what might be senstive information.

In the meantime, here's a photo of a Cone X-3 loom in action.

RalphatCone.jpg

great pics paul.

i know every one here knows repeattofade.blog, some pics were also posted here before, but they have many pics i had not seen of the LVC look book, wich are really nice.

i will post one here

the rest on http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2008/12/lvc-wrath-dust-ss-09-mens.html

3278817008_e4bfb61b54_o.jpg

The 1890s are beautiful. The new model look slightly different to the old ones, a more curly arcuate, which they've generally swtiched to. Which is fine... the originals show both. If these are like the 1901s, they should age beautifully. My 1890s (which were £50 from yoox) have very hairy fabric.

WHy the 1936? Isn't it basically the same as the 37?

For rivet freaks, just because I have it, here's the early LVC rivets with the patent numbers, from the 1880 Nevada raw.

1880rivet.jpg

Last week I got the responses to a Q&A with Cone, mainly about their work with Levi's, that had some wonderful information. I plan to put this up at www.trynka.com soon - ish, I'll probably post here too. AS time goes on, I might well add Q&As with a few more denim peopl - mostly about historic stuff, as there's lot of great informaiton on current makes out there on exisitng blogs.

I'm also slowly getting to grips with the difference between the various LVC fabrics - slowly, as sometimes Cone have to check with Levi's before they can release what might be senstive information.

In the meantime, here's a photo of a Cone X-3 loom in action.

RalphatCone.jpg

Paul same rivets as on my 1886s

IMG_0395.jpg

I think the LVC 1954 might be more accurate than people think. I remember seeing an LVC booklet during the last year that had a pair from the 50's that looked much slimmer than the '55 and had a nickname like "BlueBottle" or blue something. It caught my eye because they seemed more like my idea of Levi's in the 50's being pretty stovepipe like and slim in the leg.

PAUL T

I think of the 1936 because the should have exposed pocket rivets together with red tab, i just thought about these because right now levis seems to produce every little varyation on 501s from 1873 to 1983, I guess the next thing would be a 1997 501 repro for 180 bucks ;)

Also, just came across these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370154832023

The ask price is NUTS but they're pretty interesting-looking:

THey're asking that price becuase an 1890s pair of 201 went for that price in the fall. They're on the 201 thread, here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1255389&postcount=29

However, these jeans will be very lucky to reach that - they're in nothing like as good condition, and AFAIK on the last auction the top bidder didn't follow thru with the money.

Allen - good to see you!

Shit, Allen, you live! What you been up to?

-Jake

MILs been REAL sick. Not good...

Other than that real busy. Talk to JC said sump'm bout come'n to Chicago in May (needs to visit Horween). Maybe we could get Grant, Jerome, Steve, Pedro and a few others together?

Ain't seen you around much either? Everything good with you?

I think the LVC 1954 might be more accurate than people think. I remember seeing an LVC booklet during the last year that had a pair from the 50's that looked much slimmer than the '55 and had a nickname like "BlueBottle" or blue something. It caught my eye because they seemed more like my idea of Levi's in the 50's being pretty stovepipe like and slim in the leg.

Chuck,

The 55s are actually real close to original 55s in cut.

MILs been REAL sick. Not good...

Other than that real busy. Talk to JC said sump'm bout come'n to Chicago in May (needs to visit Horween). Maybe we could get Grant, Jerome, Steve, Pedro and a few others together?

Ain't seen you around much either? Everything good with you?

I've been posting here much more than the jacket forums. People there annoy me, and I've been divesting myself of flight jackets these days anyway. But yeah, I'm doing good, always up to meet up with the folks.

-Jake

This might be more appropriate for the small questions thread, but I figured it's a bit more targeted here.

I'm looking for a brick and mortar LVC stockist in NYC. I've seen a handful of pieces at Barneys, but usually just one or two jeans and that's it. The levis stores at 60th street and downtown and broadway never seem to have more than a couple of pieces either.

Does anyone know if there's a REAL nyc LVC stockist where I can try on MANY pairs of jeans? Is this just a lost cause? :(

I've been posting here much more than the jacket forums. People there annoy me, and I've been divesting myself of flight jackets these days anyway. But yeah, I'm doing good, always up to meet up with the folks.

-Jake

Yeah the neo cons have pretty much ran everyone interesting off...

I have a Monarch 422 on order from John. I'm hope'n I have it by May but Johns been real busy making jackets for the movie..

The problem is in the States theres a not a huge market outside us geeks for high priced authentic jeans. I always buy now from Cultizm. Dejan is great and can get things that might not be available many other places.

Wouldn't the presence of BiG and selfedge kind of indicate otherwise? There's tons of premium denim brands that are based in the US, and levis themselves regularly sell non-LVC jeans that are $100 and up.

I still don't quite understand why LVC is so hard to get in NYC. This is like one of the biggest shopping meccas in the world, and arguably the largest in the US. It just seems odd that I have to go to a german website to purchase made-in-the-us-of-a Levi's vintage jeans because nobody sells them here...

Wouldn't the presence of BiG and selfedge kind of indicate otherwise? There's tons of premium denim brands that are based in the US, and levis themselves regularly sell non-LVC jeans that are $100 and up.

I still don't quite understand why LVC is so hard to get in NYC. This is like one of the biggest shopping meccas in the world, and arguably the largest in the US. It just seems odd that I have to go to a german website to purchase made-in-the-us-of-a Levi's vintage jeans because nobody sells them here...

I was in the Levis store in Chicago a while back and was talking to the manager and she said they couldn't sell LVCs. They wind up selling them sometimes at a loss because most people don't want to pay the price. She said its much different in Europe and Asia. They can't keep the stuff on the shelves there. So guess where most of the LVCs go?

We are a small market.

Dejan ROCKS.... I get all my LVCs there now. Scored a killer pair of 333s my 209 coveralls and my latest a pair of 27s that came with a sunset T...

I was in the Levis store in Chicago a while back and was talking to the manager and she said they couldn't sell LVCs. They wind up selling them sometimes at a loss because most people don't want to pay the price. She said its much different in Europe and Asia. They can't keep the stuff on the shelves there. So guess where most of the LVCs go?

We are a small market.

Dejan ROCKS.... I get all my LVCs there now. Scored a killer pair of 333s my 209 coveralls and my latest a pair of 27s that came with a sunset T...

Yikes! What's your LVC collection up to these days?

Chuck,

The 55s are actually real close to original 55s in cut.

No, I know the '55's are authentic. The LVC booklet just had another fit of jeans from the '50's called the blue something or other that was much slimmer than the '55. Maybe something that was pitched at the teenagers. I'll try and find an image of the page.

Good God, Googles amazing! I saw it here at sufu! There's a couple of interesting things on these pages one is the jeans I was talking about: a pair of '55 blue bloods compare the fit to the other '55's a few items away and there is also what looks like a very cool Levi's leather jacket called "Blue Blush" form the 30's . That looks like LVC's 2003 catalogue. Here a link:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=530417&postcount=2

and above that is a 2005 LVC catalogue page that has a pair of Jeans called the "Rebel Rouser" which is a '54 501z that looks like this years '54 fit.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=530414&postcount=1

Yikes! What's your LVC collection up to these days?

I sold some stuff late last year but lets see

1886 501s

1905 209 coveralls

1911 333 KILLER

1927 501s

1920s 201s 555

1933 501s 555

1937 501s (maybe for sale soon)

1937 201s 555 (maybe for sale soon)

1947 501s

1955 501s

I think thats it.

Jake those 333s with #3 denim are just incredible and the 209 coveralls are really cool.

Levi used to run a concept store called Selvedge in Soho. It carried LVC and RED, and a few indie labels. It was pretty awesome but closed about five years ago. I think with respect to LVC in the US, Levi is a victim of it's own branding...no matter what lengths they go to produce a quality product in LVC, people here in the States still equate Levi with the brand that's sold at Sears and Wal-mart.

i once owned that jacket it´s great quality for it s made by aerpleather, but those were too small L fit like S... hope i can grap me another bigger one at the bay.... those blue bloods were a decent pair, nice heavy denim but, but the fit like normal 55s....

I like the new 54s, maybe they are not that authentic(you should for the japanese version) but it´s great seeing a somewhat slimmer cut between all these baggyness. now i need money! ;)

Levi used to run a concept store called Selvedge in Soho. It carried LVC and RED, and a few indie labels. It was pretty awesome but closed about five years ago. I think with respect to LVC in the US, Levi is a victim of it's own branding...no matter what lengths they go to produce a quality product in LVC, people here in the States still equate Levi with the brand that's sold at Sears and Wal-mart.

Great point. I think the marketing sucks for LVC, too. Levi's web site is a drag.

Hi guys. I am sorry to bother you with a boring sizing question - but i came to the conclusion that i want a pair of 55's.

I wanted a 38 inseam to be safe, but cultizm do not have 38 inseam in my size. I know that the inseam is supposed to shrink 2", so a 36 inseam would be okay for me (considering the inseam only will shrink 2 inches).

Since i am planning on wearing my jeans for a long time, my concern is that i read posts where people's inseam shrank more than the 2 inches over time, which is why i would prefer a 38 inseam.

So my question is: do you think the 55's inseam would shrink more than 2 inches?

Btw great thread!