Levi's Vintage Clothing

Can anyone tell me what these are?

I was going through some old stuff and found them. I have no idea where I got them. Ive been into denim for about 10yrs, but im not as serious about it as some of the guys here...I keep 2 pairs in rotation and keep it moving.

They're big E's, but there arent any tags anywhere to be found in the pants...So I have no clue what they are.

Thanks

753f57f3-527c-43a3-9511-40dc76bb0a72_zpscdbb8130.jpg

128f9a1c-a65e-484e-ae73-377eb0f7a10c_zpsa0e010f5.jpg

c5735145-847c-4bc4-810c-7c9fa8885344_zps1d25f42e.jpg76f26fb8-b169-4ce1-a024-8bd1daceff6d_zps401f3304.jpg

They are original Levis from 1966, no concealed back pocket rivits, the leatherlike waistband patch is the type used from 1960 to 1966, so I reckon this pair is one of the first with bartack's instead of the concealed backpocket rivits, and one of the last with this type of 501xx waist patch,,, i'd say they are definatly from 1966...

Buy your actual waist size, as measured, for a Steve McQueen style fit. The wasit will stretch out, and thighs shouldn't be too tight.

Re the arcuate - they do vary widely. But the old 66 arcuate was deifnitely exaggerated and too flat. The new ones I've seen ([pictured on loomstate) look much better to me.

More fit info:

http://supertalk.sup...a-visual-guide/

tumblr_m5i3p5y3pA1rty712o1_250.gif

Yup...gave them to my buddy and told him deal w/ all those messages.

Good luck with the sale. I sold a pair of 502 from the same era for a lot less than that.. but don't ask, don't get!

Edited by Paul T

I've tried the 1978 501- great cut and fantastic denim: fat and hairy, feels a lot more japanese than cone.

Still is Cone, though. It's just that many Japanese manufacturers are fixated on hairy denim as a sign of quality because it's associated with the later Levi's, the last ones you could buy as vintage. Hairy, in the old days, was a sign of shorter-staple cotton.

caliroots, for example, shows the new run as being 2 inches oversized.

edit: They now adjusted their measurements, but not for good, it seems. They are now tts. dr. house is right, they ae about 1 inch bigger than tagged.

Edited by ThomasK

Yeah, and the washed ones unionamde is carrying are showing TTS, so caliroots may be right.

Lets see:

'22s 3" over tagged

'33s 1" over tagged

new '37s 2" under tagged

'44s 3" over tagged

'47s 1/2" to 1" over tagged

55's 3" over tagged

'66s 1" over tagged (though 2013 production might be TTS)

'78s possibly 2" over tagged

That's easy enough for shoppers... :rolleyes:

My 4170 button code 55s I wore in the cultizm contest were 3" over. They would have been made in late '09. AFAIK, the '55s still run big. Not seeing any measurements online though, and actually it seems like there's fewer stores stocking that model nowadays. Surprising, because to my mind the '55 and '44 are two of LVC's best models.

Off topic, but nice to hear you on Radio 4 this morning Paul. Cool start to my day.

Was that Will Gompaertz? GLad I made the cut, must have been cleaning my gnashers when that was on...

I think I'll do some measuring at Cinch soon and post it all here and on my site.

They are 2" oversized, right?

Nope, this pair runs like 33", tagged size 32".

Still is Cone, though. It's just that many Japanese manufacturers are fixated on hairy denim as a sign of quality because it's associated with the later Levi's, the last ones you could buy as vintage. Hairy, in the old days, was a sign of shorter-staple cotton.

Yeah I know and I like it, it's the first real hairy LVC I've seen.

My 4170 button code 55s I wore in the cultizm contest were 3" over. They would have been made in late '09. AFAIK, the '55s still run big. Not seeing any measurements online though, and actually it seems like there's fewer stores stocking that model nowadays. Surprising, because to my mind the '55 and '44 are two of LVC's best models.

My 2011 1955 measured as Raw:

Tagged 34*36

Actual

Waist – 17â€

Front Rise – 12.75â€

Back Rise – 16â€

Thigh – 13â€

Knee – 10.5â€

Hem – 8.75â€

Inseam – 35.37â€

just edited a post above... dr. heech is right, they are about 1 inch bigger. Sorry for bringing in a bit of confusion. The denim feels really nice and thick and quite starchy. I hope they bring them in more often from now on. Paul T, some measuring shure would be great, as sizing seems to be consistent at least for the last 3-4 seasons.

This video surfaced on some blogs a few days ago. Seeing this I wonder how exactly the XX group is organized now? Did they just take all the people and bring them to SF or is there something going on in Amsterdam as well?

http://vimeo.com/36725130

Edited by ThomasK