Levi's Vintage Clothing

How come some selvedge "seams" are wider than others? I have two pairs of 1955. One pre distressed and one raw. The raw ones, from this season, have a thicker selvedge. Info?

This has to do with how they were sewn. You can make that selvedge seam as wide as you want. I am pretty sure there are wide variations historically due to different people sewing the jeans.

Hi

Anyone got experience with the Levis LVC 1878 Pantaloons? I just bought a pair of used ones off ebay, I got them for £100 which seemed to be a fair price when the seller stated that they were hardly worn. However the buttons are rusty, I have never had rusty buttons on any jeans, not even the cheapest jeans I owned had rusty buttons, just want to check I did not sink £100 on a rip off.

I found a few pics here of the jeans in question but couldn't really see the button on the fly.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Ah cool, glad I checked up. I found a couple of fit pics kicking around as well. Pretty excited about these. I just got started with the LVC stuff and getting pretty into the history. I wonder if the original buttons used way back when would oxidise also and this is why they did it. It does not seem like LVC to skimp on anything and the features they put in are there for a historical reason. Perhaps this is why. Or maybe I am over analysing it :rolleyes: haha.

Again thanks for the info.

I think attackwithstones mentioned this awhile back with his. It's pretty common with all of lvc these days-- they've started using buttons that oxidize more quickly than previous iterations.

It does not seem like LVC to skimp on anything and the features they put in are there for a historical reason.

As much as I love LVC also, you'll soon learn they skimp on pretty much everything and historical accuracy is very hit or miss most of the time too.

Grooveholmes is correct. My Pantaloons fly buttons were rusted after I soaked them, however I really liked it, i feel like it adds to the jeans. I also soaked them a second time as I used them as actual work pants and the jeans now look more greenish than super dark blue. I really love my pantaloons. I wish the rivets were turning green too, they have a lot of catching up to do with the rusted buttons.

As much as I love LVC also, you'll soon learn they skimp on pretty much everything and historical accuracy is very hit or miss most of the time too.

Ah ok, all the stuff I have so far I am really happy with, maybe it is in comparison to the usual high-street crap you find. I was always fussy about jeans but never gave too much consideration to what I was wearing up top, however lately I have given it a little more consideration and found some brands I really like, LVC being one. Slowly I am moving out the mass market stuff and replacing it with things with a little more authenticity. I guess LVC leans towards the mass market production in this area of the market and I should not expect too much. Either way. I find the whole thing fascinating and it is a pretty brave thing for a company to do, to produce a jean for purely historical reasons that will not appeal to many, I noticed on the forum that the reception to the pantaloons was mixed. This is one thing to be said for the size of Levi. They make enough money on the mass produced stuff to allow them to indulge in more eclectic projects. However like I said I am right at the start of this fascination with historical denim and still have a ways to go, Maybe my impressions are a little rose tinted. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Grooveholmes is correct. My Pantaloons fly buttons were rusted after I soaked them, however I really liked it, i feel like it adds to the jeans. I also soaked them a second time as I used them as actual work pants and the jeans now look more greenish than super dark blue. I really love my pantaloons. I wish the rivets were turning green too, they have a lot of catching up to do with the rusted buttons.

Hey, so cool, oddly enough I am glad to hear that the buttons rust! I am all for it, I was just concerned that I bought a lemon. It can only add to the character! How are they wearing in? I have never had a pair of jeans that had such light denim. I think 14 oz was the minimum. I have a pair of STF but they are about 15oz and I like the fades, much more subtle, the dye seems to go deeper and I get a graded fade rather than the stark lines I find with Nudies or N&F. So, I look forward to seeing how the patina develops.

Cheers for the reply, much appreciated. Any chance of seeing some fade pics?

Cheers for the reply, much appreciated. Any chance of seeing some fade pics?

I wish the rivets were turning green too, they have a lot of catching up to do with the rusted buttons.

Just FYI. You can get some chemicals to move the process along if you are desperate, I know that you get a chemical from Stained Glass manufacturers for staining the copper based solder but I can imagine that this would be pretty nasty stuff and I have no idea what it would do to your denim surrounding the rivet. I think that the best solution may be to experiment with either yoghurt or vinegar/salt-water mix, these are both meant to speed along the process. I would start with the yoghurt and see how you get on, it is thicker and you could dab it on with a cotton bud or small brush without getting it onto the denim. Leave it for a couple of days and see what you get. if the copper is lacquered then you will have to remove this with some steal wool. Or you could just let nature take its course :-)

Guest tomthumb

hey guys, i just found a pair of LVC jeans at ross for a good price, but can't seem to figure out which model it is. can anyone help me identify which model it is? its pre-distressed, made in turkey.

here are pics:

2012_07_28_16_26_41_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_26_49_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_26_59_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_27_06_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_27_20_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_27_27_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_27_43_Small.jpg

Guest tomthumb

Those are the 1955's that were modified by LVC. They moved the back belt loop, they added a "patch" to the waistband, and narrowed the legs a TON. THey are REALLY skinny and LOW RISE as fuck.

yea here is a picture of the back:

2012_07_29_11_00_06_Small.jpg

thanks for identifying the jeans so quickly. any ideas how much these are worth? they're a size 27/30 if anyone is interested.

25$ plus finders fee. Irregular on eBay goes for a hundred. I found 3 pairs in SF, CA. They didn't fit so i hooked up the homies. I'd say 65-85, however, the pairs I found were normal sizes, 32x34, 36x34, 38x36 and all 1944 cuts.

Guest tomthumb

thanks, I'm going to put it up as an auction, hopefully it'll turn some.

I also found these levis 501 size 28 x 32. they have a tag that says LVC, but the inside of the pants doesn't mention LVC anywhere. they have red stitching on the inside, no selvedge. are these at all special?

2012_07_28_16_25_20_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_25_36_Small.jpg

2012_07_28_16_25_52_Small.jpg

The 78's are nice and they do complete the LVC range, but I would never spend that much money on a pair jeans that basically look like a pair of today's...waiting until they'll go on sale ^^ Speaking of which: I was given a brown leather LVC Type III 1967 jacket for my birthday, but I cannot seem to get any info on this. Anyone know if this is a genuine vintage repro or just LVC playing around with history?

Edited by Stratos

i can understand your point stratos, obviously if you´re a lucky one you could find an original ´78 for a price less than the one of the repro... to thw jacket, levi´s produced the ´67 in big variations of material, from corduroy to suede leather, so the brown one could be authentic...

here are pics of my LVC 55 tagged 32x34. worn on and off over the last year with a cold soak and 2 hot soaks. i lost about 15 pounds so these are too big on me now so i may put these up for sale if anyone interested?

going to try a pair of 29x32 SC1947s as LVC only has as small as 30 waist in the London store in the 55..

3 pictures..

http://imgur.com/hCGCw,TjlSM,UkWD3#0

here are pics of my LVC 55 tagged 32x34. worn on and off over the last year with a cold soak and 2 hot soaks. i lost about 15 pounds so these are too big on me now so i may put these up for sale if anyone interested?

going to try a pair of 29x32 SC1947s as LVC only has as small as 30 waist in the London store in the 55..

3 pictures..

http://imgur.com/hCGCw,TjlSM,UkWD3#0

Why not go for LVC '47? They're a lot smaller than the '55's. :-)

just posted an LVC shirt on Ebay, if you have any questions let me know..(if i should not post listings here please let me know and i will take down)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261077298137#ht_500wt_1156

posting below:

Levis Vintage Clothing shirt in a size Medium. Worn only once in the house. Condition is "like new" but with no tags. The shirt has been washed once in a cold wash in a gentle cycle by itself.

The shirt was purchased last year from Tres Bien Shop in Sweden who are an official LVC retailer. I am selling the shirt as it is large on me. It is a gorgeous shirt to wear with vintage US or Japenese denim..

100% cotton, made in Turkey.

SHIPPING

I will ship to the UK via the post office. Buyer pays shipping. I will ship to the US, again, buyer pays the shipping on the shirt.

RETURNS

I will not accept returns on this item so please ensure you are confident about sizing before you buy.

FEEDBACK

I wish to keep my 100% positive feedback so please give me the chance to settle any issues you have.

Thanks and happy bidding!"

i just love the cut of the 55's...

i did try on the 47s but just not as crazy about the silhouette..

To be honest, neither am I, but I am quite muscular and they look ridiculously slim on me (also, I'd have to go for a size 38 stf, which hurts my pride, I'm not fat guy size...). The '55's suite me much better, but if I had your measurements, I'd sure be wearing '47's, just for the hell of it :P

Edited by Stratos