Levi's Vintage Clothing

2005 sounds abut right. They're the asos sale ones.

THey are the ones in the Visual Guide thread; lovely stitching details, back pocket, rivets etc, altho as you mentioned they (bizarrely) roughly painted the rivets in grey. Perhaps I didn't shrink them long enough, they're tagged 32/32 but after a shrink measure 34/32. UNless you hitch them up, of course, the legs feel much longer - without suspenders, you'd have to tighten the waistband just above your navel.

But they're different. I raised the issue of suspenders with mrs t... got a haughty look and a comment about 80s ad directors. I'm still working on it...

PS: I'll miss the 201s, but my other pair have at least a year's waer in them, and I do have a lovely pair of Lee 1930s 101J that fill a similar slot...

Yeah, I think they're oversized. Lovely details - hammered rivets and a proper leather patch (lacking 'Lot 501xx' text unfortunately).

'80's ad directors always wore bright red ones, so best stick to neutral colours...

Those Lee 101's are great. Mine are a really different blue compared to my current rotation.

Hope all is well with you?

2005 sounds abut right. They're the asos sale ones.

THey are the ones in the Visual Guide thread; lovely stitching details, back pocket, rivets etc, altho as you mentioned they (bizarrely) roughly painted the rivets in grey. Perhaps I didn't shrink them long enough, they're tagged 32/32 but after a soak measure 34/32. UNless you hitch them up, of course, the legs feel much longer - without suspenders, you'd have to tighten the waistband just above your navel.

But they're different. I raised the issue of suspenders with mrs t... got a haughty look and a comment about 80s ad directors. I'm still working on it...

PS: I'll miss the 201s, but my other pair have at least a year's waer in them, and I do have a lovely pair of Lee 1930s 101J that fill a similar slot...

Beware straying into the 'Weetabix skinhead' style too if you're going to wear braces - another 80s look to be avoided at all costs ;)

THanks, eltopo! Yours is the best fit pic of the early jeans I've seen so far. I'll break out my 1901s next week.

A quick heads-up - the caliroots sale, courtesy of simon tuntelder on styleforum.

Some nice deals - especially the 1920s chambray shirt for €90 , sadly, or perhaps luckily for me, only in L - the 1910 333 in broken raw for €80, in 32/32, too (my size, argh!), sawtooth shirt €87, and the 1917 raw for €100.

http://caliroots.com/c-store/search.asp?manuid=209

I'll say it again Paul - that's a sweet fit! Can't re-rep :mad: Is that the lightest LVC denim?

Well, I broke down & washed my 47's. I've lost track, but they're probably at about 3 months, with an initial hot soak, plus a couple of cold soaks.

Tis sunny out but the color & contrast is not too far off...

LVC1-1.jpg

LVC2-1.jpg

LVC3-1.jpg

LVC4-1.jpg

LVC5-1.jpg

LVC6-1.jpg

I noticed this weird irregularity on the front of both lower legs... Makes 'em more unique to me I guess :)

LVC7-1.jpg

Near the hem, where I cuff....

LVChem.jpg

Going to have to dig thru my meager scrap supply!

THanks, eltopo! Yours is the best fit pic of the early jeans I've seen so far. I'll break out my 1901s next week.

A quick heads-up - the caliroots sale, courtesy of simon tuntelder on styleforum.

Some nice deals - especially the 1920s chambray shirt for €90 , sadly, or perhaps luckily for me, only in L - the 1910 333 in broken raw for €80, in 32/32, too (my size, argh!), sawtooth shirt €87, and the 1917 raw for €100.

Paul I say grab those 333s. The denim head you are you need a pair of these beauties. You of all people would really appreciate the uniqueness of these.

Careful Paul- you probably already know, but those 333 'Broken Raw' are hugely over-sized. My 34W measure fully 37", and no chance of shrinkage.

Those 1890s don't look so bad, to me. And suspenders do help with the baggy ass thing.

Those 1890s don't look so bad, to me.

Ever heard the expression "damning with faint praise?" Thanks very f*ckin' much.

Lando, those 333 are cool, but those aren't the gateway drug for LVC...those are what you turn to when you need elephant tranquillizer to get a high...

is there any model that is available in size 29 or shrinks to a 29" waist after wash? My 44's size 30 did not shrink at all in the waist and smallest size online seems to be size 30 (which are usually 1 or two inch oversized)

is there any model that is available in size 29 or shrinks to a 29" waist after wash? My 44's size 30 did not shrink at all in the waist and smallest size online seems to be size 30 (which are usually 1 or two inch oversized)

Pre2010 1947 in a 30 inch waist would work, maybe? They probably measure 29 inch raw. The current 47s seem to be true to size; probably cut a little more generously - dont' knwo for definite, I do have a raw pair of 47 a couple of years old I could compare with the measurements on the 501 visual guide thread. One of the other would sort you out if you like the cut, obviously the older version would give a skinnier look depending on how you size them.

You could check out the 1967 505s. The 2009 version was about 1" under tagged size and according to cultizm the current 2010 are true to tagged size. They are sanforized so you'll know whether they work before a wash.... I think a 2009 67 tagged 30 would measure 29" ... they also have a 2010 28x24 but after owning these jeans I would not size down if I bought them again...

a few fit and evo pictures too...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/runormal88/march_lvc.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/runormal88/march_lvc1.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/runormal88/may_1-1.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/runormal88/may_2.jpg

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/buttons/buckles.html

I've used the 1" utility buckle - it works just fine on my 1915s.

Erk very kindly offered to proxy me a riverjunction buckle. Then it turned out entertainment had bought a couple, so he sent me his spares. Very kind. PLease rep him!

The 2 tine brass buckle is the perfect shape for the 1990s and 1901 LVC. Altho the metal looks a pretty cheap over-shiny brassy colour.

p1040687.jpg

I thought I'd tone it down with some patinating solution I had knokcing around (I used it for ageing new brass doorknobs).

Result! I think that brassy colour was probably a coating. The buckle turned black, then when I polished it, it came out a silver colour, with odd touches of copper and black. NO idea why it worked so well, but this looks pretty perfect for LVC, no??

p1040689.jpg

Erk very kindly offered to proxy me a riverjunction buckle. Then it turned out entertainment had bought a couple, so he sent me his spares. Very kind. PLease rep him!

The 2 tine brass buckle is the perfect shape for the 1990s and 1901 LVC. Altho the metal looks a pretty cheap over-shiny brassy colour.

I thought I'd tone it down with some patinating solution I had knokcing around (I used it for ageing new brass doorknobs).

Result! I think that brassy colour was probably a coating. The buckle turned black, then when I polished it, it came out a silver colour, with odd touches of copper and black. NO idea why it worked so well, but this looks pretty perfect for LVC, no??

wow. that really turned out nicely. much better than the squarish looking buckle i have on my 1915s as a replacement. what is this patinating solution you speak of?

entertainment is such a swell guy.

The one I used is called MOdern Masters Metal Effects PA903-04 ageing solution link here . Also on Amazon etc.

Alternately, post me a couple surfacemail and I'll age em, if that costs less.

You could experiment? Leave them in jar-full of urine or vinegar and copper sulphate? (Didn't Andy Warhol produce artworks doing something similar?)

I've moved this query to the LVC thread...

The pics are a reasonably accurate depiction of the denim colour and the washing instruction tag is a polyester type material...

Sorry about the close-ups, but my camera doesn't do them very well...

'I have a deadstock Levi denim western shirt, with an orange big E tag, orange nylon single stitching, copper press studs and a fitted body, that has no internal tags, other than a white washing instructions tag in one of the back seams, that gives them in English, German and French. At the collar is a white tag with a red batwing device with levis in lower case, with a circled R below, size as LARGE, 100% COTTON and "PRESHRUNK"...'

Any thoughts as to whether it is LVC or a late 60's one?

Many thanks...

Levi1.jpg

Levi2.jpg

Levi3.jpg

Levi4.jpg

It's original, not LVC. I would think 1969-1972 (post the batwing corporate redesign, hence with the little e internal tag, but before the bi - I wonder if it's OE, like a lot of orange tag.

I do wonder if, like ringring has speculated, OE fabric will soon become so rare that's it's collectable & trendy!

It's original, not LVC. I would think 1969-1972 (post the batwing redesign, with the little e internal tag, but before the big e pocket tag was fitted to every item), OE fabric by the look of it.

Thanks for that

It just has the 'feel' of being an original :)

Alternately, post me a couple surfacemail and I'll age em, if that costs less.

Paul

Entertainment kindly sent me the shiny brass one (plus another 20's/30's two prong, already aged).

Can you pm your address and I'll send you mine to be 'aged'?

:)