Levi's Vintage Clothing

those 50s ones are nice but there's no real connection with a 66 pair. The pocket shape become more square partly because they didn't have to accommodate the rivet.

This is my old pair of circa '66 502. These were very beautiful with all lemon stitching. There are probably some differences from a contemporary 501, the bar tack is quite distinctive on this pair.

But this is what to me is a quintessential 66 shape: lovely parallel stitching on the sides, and less of a splay than the 55. But still some splay. The arcuate is shallower obviously, than typical 50s jeans, but there are plenty shallower still .

Yet... I just looked at all the Japanese LVC reissues from around 2000 with lots of '60s replicas including the 502. Japanese LVC tended to have more different models (they would have Japaese repros alongside the US ones). There was nothing even vaguely similar to this, in terms of shape or arcuate  - essentially because they based their repros on different originals, and there was so much variation in the 60s especially from factory to factory and probably operator to operator.

2horsepatchsmall.jpg

Example of a japanese made Levi’s repro. Super shallow arcs but not as tilted as the lvc ones. Pocket shape is also a little more usual. (From yahoo auction).

A0609570-17AA-44DB-9165-97511760B0BD.jpeg

With big thanks to Spiraltoy... this is my second 3-pleat.

I've always wanted the duck version of this jacket. It's terrific. Same proportions as the denim, but this is unwashed so maybe a little roomier although sleeves are short. When I get time I'll post a comparison with the duck pullover. I think this is a non-Cone duck fabric - it's a dark mustard, rather than a tan colour. Somewhere way back in this thread I posted photos of them in the marketing showroom when it first came out, alongside a very distressed gingham version. I'm really happy s this is way more practical than the pullover, even if the mustard doesn't echo the tan of my recently rebuilt tricker's quite as well. Jeans are the TCB '20s.

PTinparkbetter.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 10:35 AM, Paul T said:

those 50s ones are nice but there's no real connection with a 66 pair. The pocket shape become more square partly because they didn't have to accommodate the rivet.

This is my old pair of circa '66 502. These were very beautiful with all lemon stitching. There are probably some differences from a contemporary 501, the bar tack is quite distinctive on this pair.

But this is what to me is a quintessential 66 shape: lovely parallel stitching on the sides, and less of a splay than the 55. But still some splay. The arcuate is shallower obviously, than typical 50s jeans, but there are plenty shallower still .

Yet... I just looked at all the Japanese LVC reissues from around 2000 with lots of '60s replicas including the 502. Japanese LVC tended to have more different models (they would have Japaese repros alongside the US ones). There was nothing even vaguely similar to this, in terms of shape or arcuate  - essentially because they based their repros on different originals, and there was so much variation in the 60s especially from factory to factory and probably operator to operator.

2horsepatchsmall.jpg

Paul,

I had a pair from June 1971 when the side stitching of the pocket was parallel as per your pic. Before then even with bar-tacked versions it widened before the top. I have the pocket from a 1969 paid but can't upload the pic. The shape is like the 1955s but barely any v shape along the bottom.

IMG_20190903_2141222.jpg

Edited by Dry
Incomplete

I purchased these but need some help authenticating and identifying what year these are from, also what model? the back tag is destroyed and not readable. the care tag the seller provided doesn't show if made in USA. the inseam seams to be single stitch, as well as the arcuates and pocket stitching looks to be single stitch as well. I can't tell from the pics if there is a number stamped on the back button. there is a v stitching along near the back button.

Are these authentic Big E vintage Levi's? what model are they? what year are they from?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

UPDATE: I received the jeans in the mail and took better photos. I'm pretty sure these are knockoffs, what do you guys think?

IMG_1874.thumb.JPG.83dc5f9b37ede195af85ad5d1c0a8dc5.JPGIMG_1875.thumb.JPG.8ff1ee53895dd38f974026ab2c677291.JPGIMG_1876.thumb.JPG.c625633e73e3c3ae7767ea9972b504e3.JPGIMG_1877.thumb.JPG.a4f3b1af53af221c9ebfe427f32b7441.JPGIMG_1878.thumb.JPG.36d2f6e7ade1ba05318678d8063f6529.JPGIMG_1879.thumb.JPG.92c110946f21a4f2de833d59cc4340bb.JPGIMG_1880.thumb.JPG.f9cc8525abb4c785284beda60f0216ff.JPGIMG_1881.thumb.JPG.ca89a8098ee45bc5ea26b6de378a4b81.JPG

Edited by lifted

Weird jeans. Single stitch arcuates, tons of taper, big E, single stitch inseam, not selvedge fabric, zip fly, paper patch.

The taper, zipper, big E, and single stitch inseams would seem to indicate a jean in the style of LVC '54s. However, they don't use selvedge material, there is no interior tagging that seems to support them being LVCs, the tag is not leather, and the single stitch arcs don't belong if they are supposed to be '54s.

I would guess that they were some sort of short lived non-LVC variant that for some reason featured the big E, single stitch inseams, and single needle (or somehow simulated single needle) arcs as special features.

11 hours ago, 428CJ said:

Weird jeans. Single stitch arcuates, tons of taper, big E, single stitch inseam, not selvedge fabric, zip fly, paper patch.

The taper, zipper, big E, and single stitch inseams would seem to indicate a jean in the style of LVC '54s. However, they don't use selvedge material, there is no interior tagging that seems to support them being LVCs, the tag is not leather, and the single stitch arcs don't belong if they are supposed to be '54s.

I would guess that they were some sort of short lived non-LVC variant that for some reason featured the big E, single stitch inseams, and single needle (or somehow simulated single needle) arcs as special features.

so you think they could be authentic Levi's? from around the same '54 time period? can they possibly be '54 501Z model which would explain the zipper fly and taper cut? although the back tag is paper and not leather.

Edited by lifted

I think they’re just something modern-ish and stonewashed, perhaps even fakes.

Interestingly the arcs don’t have the diamond at the bottom, which a twin needle machine usually makes. These give the impression they were sewn by a single needle machine, which Levi’s stopped using in the 1930s I believe.

Other than a big ‘E’, what evidence is there that these are vintage?

5 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I think they’re just something modern-ish and stonewashed, perhaps even fakes.

Interestingly the arcs don’t have the diamond at the bottom, which a twin needle machine usually makes. These give the impression they were sewn by a single needle machine, which Levi’s stopped using in the 1930s I believe.

Other than a big ‘E’, what evidence is there that these are vintage?

besides the big E, the single stitch inseams and arcs are indication it could be vintage. however, I am questioning the authenticity.  i did some more research and found that they could be '54 501Z, as this model had tapered cut and zipper fly, however they also were selvedge and this pair is not

54 501Z also had hidden rivets in the back pockets and double needle arcs, which yours do not. Is the zip-pull branded?

54s also had a silver coloured top button and a leather patch. Yours are closer to a 1967 505 but I still don’t think they are them.

They look like something from the 90s to me.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

27 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

54 501Z also had hidden rivets in the back pockets and double needle arcs, which yours do not. Is the zip-pull branded?

I'll post more photos once I receive them in the mail today

those are a new design I haven't seen before. I don't see how they can be pre-1987. They don't have the look of fakes, even though there's a clash of different features. there were some weird Canadian-made Levi's in the early 90s that tried to ape a vintage look, so that would be my guess.

It's not the lack of selvage that suggests they're much later than 1971, as some 505 etc had dropped selvage by that time. It's the irregular pockets, the look of the stitching, OE fabric and construction.

Edited by Paul T

6 minutes ago, Paul T said:

those are a new design I haven't seen before. I don't see how they can be pre-1987. They don't have the look of fakes, even though there's a clash of different features. there were some weird Canadian-made Levi's in the early 90s that tried to ape a vintage look, so that would be my guess.

Thanks.  Would you have any idea as to what model these jeans may be or have a guess as to what it is?

19 hours ago, lifted said:

I purchased these but need some help authenticating and identifying what year these are from, also what model? the back tag is destroyed and not readable. the care tag the seller provided doesn't show if made in USA. the inseam seams to be single stitch, as well as the arcuates and pocket stitching looks to be single stitch as well. I can't tell from the pics if there is a number stamped on the back button. there is a v stitching along near the back button.

Are these authentic Big E vintage Levi's? what model are they? what year are they from?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

UPDATE: I received the jeans in the mail and took better photos. I'm pretty sure these are knockoffs, what do you guys think?

IMG_1874.thumb.JPG.83dc5f9b37ede195af85ad5d1c0a8dc5.JPGIMG_1875.thumb.JPG.8ff1ee53895dd38f974026ab2c677291.JPGIMG_1876.thumb.JPG.c625633e73e3c3ae7767ea9972b504e3.JPGIMG_1877.thumb.JPG.a4f3b1af53af221c9ebfe427f32b7441.JPGIMG_1878.thumb.JPG.36d2f6e7ade1ba05318678d8063f6529.JPGIMG_1879.thumb.JPG.92c110946f21a4f2de833d59cc4340bb.JPGIMG_1880.thumb.JPG.f9cc8525abb4c785284beda60f0216ff.JPGIMG_1881.thumb.JPG.ca89a8098ee45bc5ea26b6de378a4b81.JPG

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

54s also had a silver coloured top button and a leather patch. Yours are closer to a 1967 505 but I still don’t think they are them.

4 hours ago, Paul T said:

It's not the lack of selvage that suggests they're much later than 1971, as some 505 etc had dropped selvage by that time. It's the irregular pockets, the look of the stitching, OE fabric and construction.

18 hours ago, 428CJ said:

Hey guys, I updated the post with more photos.  I'm leaning towards fake after inspecting them.  the stitching oddly enough is green, there is nothing on the back of the button, rivets have the wrong text, there are no back rivets, no indication of where they were made. smh

Fake, of course, right?

On 10/14/2019 at 2:13 PM, Dry said:

Paul,

I had a pair from June 1971 when the side stitching of the pocket was parallel as per your pic. Before then even with bar-tacked versions it widened before the top. I have the pocket from a 1969 paid but can't upload the pic. The shape is like the 1955s but barely any v shape along the bottom.

Look at this... https://pin.it/niidyp7xc34ap2

Sorry, I haven't got the knack of uploading pics but clicking on the link shows the design of the left pocket of my September 1969 pair which were zipped Shrink to Fit probably 501ZXX with 6 on the back of the button.