Levi's Vintage Clothing

So I got a pair of 1954 501Z on half price from Tres Bièn last week and thought it might be useful to post up measurements pre- and post-soak. I actually soaked twice, first in a bucket then in the washing machine on a wool program, because I wanted more shrinkage. Only size 31 was available at the time of purchase, but ideally I should have gotten a 30 or maybe even 29.

Tag size 31x34, measurements are done BiG-style.

Pre-soak

Waist: 15.75

Front rise: 11

Thigh: 11.8

Hem: 7.5

Inseam: 34

Post-soak/-wash

Waist: 14.75

Rise: 10.25

Thigh: 11.25

Hem: 7.25

Inseam: 31.5

In sum, the measurements and shrinkage were more or less as I expected, except for the hem. A size 32 measured and posted up on Denimhunters allegedly has a 6.7" hem so this was a bit surprising to me. Anyway, I still like the fit and hope this is somewhat helpful.

Edited by mandel9000

Anybody any any info on how much the 50's shorthorn flannels shrink up with a wash? Thanks!

I bought current seasons red flannel check Longhorn from the sir and Madame sale and experienced a little shrinkage in the chest and even less in length. Not enough ruin the sizing for me. Also I bought a shorthorn recently, from a closeout site, Camo blue check from the spring summer 12 line, despite the sanforized label with a wash setting of warm/cold and a run through the dryer I did get some shrinkage, both in length and in the chest. It went from a perfect fit down to snug. Sadly, not quit enough shrinkage that I would have sized up. I will be hang drying the shirt from now on.

Pre wash:

null-1.jpg

Edited by Robroy

^robroy - I actually was talking about that same shirt in the picture. Have an XL that ran bigger than I thought it would (starting to get used to crazy japanese sizing I think) I could use a bit of shrinkageso maybe I'll give it a warm wash/dryer.

Great shirt though, love the fabric, has that 3d quality to it.

Anybody any experience of the recent LVC 505 1967 rigid?? The made in Turkey version. Have a pair of the made in USA ones in 34x34 which are several yrs old and a bit tight on the waist. Just ordered 36x34 from Tres Bien and now stressing in case they are going to be huge!! Too good a price to pass up though!

I have a pair I picked up from the SF store in the fall. i've got a couple months of steady wear on them, and they are just showing some nice wear/creasing/light blue.

I can't speak to the earlier, made in the US ones, but mine were a little smaller than TTS at the start. I bought tagged 32x34, as the wasit was very snug on me, and i knew it would stretch. Id' say it's about 16.25 now, from 15.5" or so new. I've not soaked them yet, but as they are sanforized, I'm not expecting much change beyond the standard. I do wish I'd gotten them hemmed, as I think I'd prefer them w/ out the cuff, and I realize that even though I'm tall, I only really need a true 32-33" inseam to get the length I like.

i like the new update but there was a quaintness and a simplicity in the old site and the line. i hope that LVC continues to make new-looking stuff that isn't just rigid jeans and jackets. i appreciate the ol' glory type replicas but just want to be able to wear sunset chambrays and put the holes in them myself.

One of the things I did like about the old site was a link to past seasons.

I like the current line up. Glad to see the '37s back, and there's five or six other items I'm interested in (white 518s, two tees, a sport shirt, and a western shirt). They over did it the pre-distressing though on the miner items, especially the lady's line.

You know, I have a ton of expensive Japanese denim; more than I'll be able to wear in 3 lifetimes. Put on a pair of 47's today for the first time in about a year and along with Jomon, they are still my favorite! couldv' saved myself a bunch of $ :)

Edited by lance

What's the sizing like on current 1947s? If I wear a 31x34 in regular STFs should I go with that size in the 47s?

32x34, but always ask for measurements to be taken in the actual jean that is being purchased.

As we just mentioned, they're made in Turkey, and the sizing and cut differ, on some models, from the dry jeans. Plus, as we just mentioned, they're given a kind of orange brown wash, which gives them a colour cast.

They're also coated with a kind of resin, which is designed to make them crock a little more quickly. The resin will make the indigo come off in slightly bigger chunks, so will show wear sooner. I've never seen them worn in to know how well it works.

Hi Paul, please check your PM's !

I just wanted to feedback from my question a few days ago about rough rinse 501s. Well, I found some dry scraped 1954 that were half price, and I could not find any details about what they really were. So anyway, I bought them, as a cheaper alternative to raw. They have been washed once, and made in the US. They are unfortunately faded slightly in certain areas, but the fabric and how they feel is wonderful. I am not from the US so a patriotic reason to but made in US was not for me. I still bought US ones, and I am glad I did. Somehow I think that products that relate to a country should be made there. And its good to help local workers.

I jsut wanted to post this because answers to my earlier posting about 501s helped me to buy the ones I have now. Thanks to you all.

I wish it were not so complicated. You cannot imagine how may hours I have spent simply trying to buy a pair of decent comfortable work trousers.

John

Thanks, man. I'm a 33.5 and went with the 34. I could've gone with a 33 waist, but the effort required to get to a comfortable fit was unappealing at the time. Certainly doable, but I was looking for a tad looser fit anyway. After a hot wash and dry, I'm quite pleased with the fit. Should've recorded the measurements before wash, but these are from 2009, and I used Paul T's guide to figure out sizing.