Levi's Vintage Clothing

Soon they will be making reproductions of vintage reproductions since the reproductions of vintage jeans will be too expensive for normal people to buy: Reproduction perfect in all details of the 555 551zx from 1999 which was a reproduction of a 551zx from the the sixties.

Soon they will be making reproductions of vintage reproductions since the vintage reproductions will be too expensive for normal people to buy: Reproduction perfect in all details of the 555 551zx from 1999 which was a reproduction of a 551zx from the the sixties.

Hollywood has been doing that for years...

This is the British '80s tart in question:

5386210488_e03cc5e410_b.jpg

Sometimes she has real LVC or vintage Levis, which she wants an arm and a leg for. I don't think this jacket is either, despite her labeling.

This pic is pretty mild, check out her store:

Indigo Phoenix

She changes names a lot, you might remember her as "Amazing Golden Sands" or "Amazing Vintage" or something similar.

Cultizm has had what's left of their larger size 1800s models on sale for months, no one's been biting, and it doesn't look they're restocking the smaller sizes.

I think the reason why they haven' t sold them is that the sizes are ridiculous. I mean, come on, W40 and 42 in the 1901's. Wat were they thinking? Have you ever seen a live person with a 40 waist? Concerning the restocking: I have sent a mail asking when 'normal' sizes will be available again.

This is the British '80s tart in question:

5386210488_e03cc5e410_b.jpg

Sometimes she has real LVC or vintage Levis, which she wants an arm and a leg for. I don't think this jacket is either, despite her labeling.

This pic is pretty mild, check out her store:

Indigo Phoenix

She changes names a lot, you might remember her as "Amazing Golden Sands" or "Amazing Vintage" or something similar.

interesting marketing approach. i like it! i like LVC even better when modeled by scantily clad english birds.

I also love when people do things like this (in their home currency):

Starting Bid

$453.60

Buy It Now

$520.24

Like they have it so precisely down to a science, to the penny how much their item has appreciated in value. You can tell they think they're being all psychological and shit.

I think the reason why they haven' t sold them is that the sizes are ridiculous. I mean, come on, W40 and 42 in the 1901's. Wat were they thinking? Have you ever seen a live person with a 40 waist? Concerning the restocking: I have sent a mail asking when 'normal' sizes will be available again.

A W42 1901 will probably measure 46" anyway!

I love when people do things like this:

Starting Bid

$543.40

Buy It Now

$679.25

Like they have it so precisely down to a science, to the penny how much their item has appreciated in value. You can tell they think they're being all psychological and shit.

Not sure if they're playing that specific mind trick. More likely they're using the perception of savings tactic but fail miserably at that. People are more susceptible to numbers ending in 9's or 5's. e.g [$9.95] [$10.99] etc

King Levi is priced above the market, certainly. But to be fair, I think his pricing is what good condition used LVC should ideally go for. Most of his stuff is priced just below or at the original retail price. I don't know why LVC doesn't hold it's value better. I'd think that things in new condition from past seasons, especially from really early on, would increase in value. It's not like they're going to go out of style, as they're repro pieces in the first place, and as time goes by they'll only become scarcer.

His practice of putting up crappy pics, or none at all, is seriously fucked. I don't get it at all.

These people that are asking 2-3 times original retail, are they hoping to find a sucker, I wonder, or are they just deluded?

I also love when people do things like this (in their home currency):

Starting Bid

$453.60

Buy It Now

$520.24

well the starting price is plain 400€

and the

Buy it now:

500€

I don't see what's so funny about that. You know it's the exchange rate make the post look funny.

But still way to high asking price

I don't know why LVC doesn't hold it's value better.

They're a reproduction..... originals should always increase in value, reproductions should only increase in price if there's something special about them (limited edition) or the reproduction ceases production (like 555s).

Just heard from Cultizm: they will not restock the old buckle backs...

not suprising. I'm sure those are hard to move and wind up sitting on the shelves waaaay too long.

I may have mentioned this before, but IMO LVC should standardize the raw denim line on a handful of models. '37, '44, '47, '55, and '66 501s. I'd always have one sandfordized zip model like the '67 505 or '63 551ZXX in the line up. And then, I'd do one special model a year (whether it be an 1880s 501, 1920s 201, or 1960s 502, whatever), in limited numbers so they aren't sitting on shelves when the next year's model comes out.

well the starting price is plain 400€

and the

Buy it now:

500€

I don't see what's so funny about that. You know it's the exchange rate make the post look funny.

But still way to high asking price

Groooveholmes pointed out already that I used a bad example. I was referring to people who used odd, overly-precise figures in their home currency, like this.

They're a reproduction..... originals should always increase in value, reproductions should only increase in price if there's something special about them (limited edition) or the reproduction ceases production (like 555s).

But these are the new vintage, and so poetic, surely there should be an exception.

not suprising. I'm sure those are hard to move and wind up sitting on the shelves waaaay too long.

I may have mentioned this before, but IMO LVC should standardize the raw denim line on a handful of models. '37, '44, '47, '55, and '66 501s. I'd always have one sandfordized zip model like the '67 505 or '63 551ZXX in the line up. And then, I'd do one special model a year (whether it be an 1880s 501, 1920s 201, or 1960s 502, whatever), in limited numbers so they aren't sitting on shelves when the next year's model comes out.

M, purely rationaly speaking you have a point, but I love those old timers...

But these are the new vintage, and so poetic, surely there should be an exception.

Ha! Only for very specific, or desirable items could I see there being an increase in value.

Personally, there's not one item I've seen from past LVC seasons that I'd be willing to pay double the original price for, like some sellers ask on ebay. Honestly, only past item I'd want is a pair of 551ZXXs, and I wouldn't go beyond $250 for them (and that's unwashed, with tags).

M, purely rationaly speaking you have a point, but I love those old timers...

I like 'em too, but before I could ever buy a pair I'd have to answer the same question a lot of buyers probably ask themselves.... "what the hell would I do with a pair of these?" They'd probably be nothing more than a pair of summer work pants for around the house, and I probably wouldn't wear them more than a dozen times a year.

I like 'em too, but before I could ever buy a pair I'd have to answer the same question a lot of buyers probably ask themselves.... "what the hell would I do with a pair of these?" They'd probably be nothing more than a pair of summer work pants for around the house, and I probably wouldn't wear them more than a dozen times a year.

I wear my 1890's and 1917's very regularly, even to work. Weird thing is hardly anyone ever comments on them. I find it funny to walk around in a century old style with nobody really noticing. :D I guess people have gotten so used to all those weird/fake 'vintage' buckles and buttons on GStar and the likes that they must think you're just wearing another novelty jeans. Also, my mother in law did repairs on my 1927's and she thought they were Chinese fake 501's for all the strange features :D

agreed, but you left out the 33's which are nice. the 33' have great looking arcs and i prefer them to the 37's. i would love to see another 63 551zxx done. been chasing some for years, but i can't find a reasonably priced pair.

i would love to see another 63 551zxx done.

I've asked Paul to put a bug in their ear about the 551ZXX the next time he talks to someone at LVC. Hopefully he's able to convince them what a good idea re-releasing that model would be.

I have a couple of pairs of 551ZXX (one BNWT, the other in two wash) - love 'em, but would not part with them for double what they're 'worth', as they will never be made at a 100 year old historical Levis factory.

A fact, that for me personally, has an added resonance.

I am probably one of the few on this board who feels that way about stuff made at the Valencia street factory.

@colgems - I agree with you on the 33's, the arcs are more true to originals, whereas the 37's arcs are a poor representation IMO.