Levi's Vintage Clothing

Hey Paul,

got a sizing question (!!)

Your duck 'open front jumper' (shirt) - what size did you buy?

Do you have raw + post soak/wash measurements?

Thanks in advance.

Mine is medium, but it's sized pretty large - I'm certain measurements are on the Cotton Duck thread (just about to cook dinner for la famiglia). But arms are short. Will measure and post Mon nite.

another hey paul.... my dad wants a pair of suspender button jeans, so i've chosen 1870 oldest oldest. just a few questions, how much do they shrink, would it matter if they were actually washed relatively frequently (once per month or so) since the denim is so thin? is the sizing true ish/ he wears a 38 and im planning on getting a 38. and are they good pants overall? they seem pretty cool.

thanks man.

Hi, cool pressie. Check entertainment's posts below, if it were me I would marginally prefer the Kpappave, which hang a bit better.

Washing once a month will be fine. And buying actual size sounds the right way, i don't actually have recent dimensions for those, but they are mostly at least an inch bigger than tag size. Again, entertainment! can help.

Here are some fit pics of my knappaves. They are definitely a lot more wearable than the oldest oldest. The pleats under the cinch on the oldest oldest make for a bad case of diaper butt. The details on the knappave are much better too. Beautiful rivets.

knappavefront2.jpg

knappaveback2.jpg

Here are some oldest oldest pics too.

I shortened the cinch strap (had to do that on the knappaves too), moved the patch from the middle to the side and flattened the rivets. Also had to make repairs to some of the sewing.

oldestfront.jpg

oldestback.jpg

Guest redchris

Just got these this weekend.

Absolutely beautiful, only thing, I had to rinse them to get rid of the leg flare caused by over 10 years of folded storage.

'kin 'ell these shrink, now well and truly a 34" as opposed to the 36 label size.

B9rtQCWkKGrHqRioEzNsiHq5cBM4mvQm1k0_3.jpg

B9rucEWkKGrHqJk0EyjCC8BM4mvUf8G0_3.jpg

B9rwZgWkKGrHqFiMEzOFiq8cPBM4mvc0Yn0_3.jpg

B9ryPwEWkKGrHqJjoEzK6eDzqBBM4mvkH6w0_3.jpg

So I'm open to offers.

another hey paul.... my dad wants a pair of suspender button jeans, so i've chosen 1870 oldest oldest. just a few questions, how much do they shrink, would it matter if they were actually washed relatively frequently (once per month or so) since the denim is so thin? is the sizing true ish/ he wears a 38 and im planning on getting a 38. and are they good pants overall? they seem pretty cool.

thanks man.

Paul is right. The Knappaves are much better than the Oldest Oldest if they are available. Better denim, better construction, better fit, better details. As to sizing, the best option would be to get measurements. The actual waist measurements are two to three inches bigger than the marked size on both. I have a 32 waist in the Oldest Oldest and a 33 in the Knappaves. I need my waist to end up about 35.5 BiG style for an ideal fit. Both of these are a bit loose. But they have only been soaked so far, not washed. Have you considered the 1915s? They are much more wearable than the Oldest Oldest or the Knappaves and have incredible denim (though some of the details are off according to Dr Heech).

Good advice - but the Knappave are excellent and available in a range of sizes from CUltizm, who will tell you actual measurements. And cheap!

Of course the 1915 are great, but if you think something in a Victorian, one-pocket style will float pops' boat, they are only $150. If your dad is 38 waist, go for whatever jean is 38 pre soak, and soak em cold - waist will stretch out.

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p207_Levi--180-s--Vintage-Clothing-1880-s-Knappave-Jeans-Rigid.html

ENtertainment, didn't realise the denim was significantly different; please post a side-by-side comparison when you have time..

wgmds, whatever you get.. post photos!

thats what i was thinking. so knappaves it is i would say. theyre cheap, therefore they win over all besides the O O

Here ya go, Doc

I do get on with it pretty well now - it's absolutely perfect in the summer, to pull over when the evenings draw in. THe cotton duck element means it's fairly resistant to rain, too (the difference between duck and canvas is that duck is woven more tightly to keep out water better).

It does feel/look as much like a smock as a shirt; it's heavy, definitely jacket weight rather than shirt weight, and pretty baggy. I did try one on before and have a feeling if you have one that's slimmer around the waist etc, then the arm length is pretty short. It's also pretty short in the length. If you wanted it slimmer you would have to pick a smaller size and maybe modify it, add more buttons down the front (remember that most pullovers, like a polo shirt, are pretty stretchy).

So overall I would say it's a pretty insane shape, and I like it.

cottonduckfit.jpg

This is a size medium: THis was 22 inches armpit seam to armpit seam before wash - and seems not to have shrunk at all.

Arm length - bottom seam, armpit to cuff, is 21 3/4 inches. .

People seem to get more shrinkage out of the trousers, don't know why, can only presume they shrink more along the seam than across it.

4" bigger than tag size...hilarious...why even bother to write a number on it at all?!

looking forward to some pics! :)

I asked for the measurements of a tagged 32 " Waist and 34" Leg actual size were 34.5" waist and 36" leg.

Not even consistently oversized!

Don't try clipping the safety end of the buckle on the 1915's. For some stupid reason they made the buckles with a gap so when you clip the end to make two prongs the buckle falls apart. Talk about a cheap piece of shit! Wait until you have a replacement buckle if you want to have the correct pronged buckle. I don't understand why they used this cheap hardware when the rest of the jeans are nicely done.

Don't try clipping the safety end of the buckle on the 1915's. For some stupid reason they made the buckles with a gap so when you clip the end to make two prongs the buckle falls apart. Talk about a cheap piece of shit! Wait until you have a replacement buckle if you want to have the correct pronged buckle. I don't understand why they used this cheap hardware when the rest of the jeans are nicely done.

Thanks crownzip, I think someone posted a link to a webshop that sells replacement buckles. Is it riverjunction or something like that?

I understand as well there were safety issues with not selling with prongs but that doesn't mean the have the use a cheap buckle that falls apart when you clip it. The buckle on my old LVC 501's was made from one piece so when you clip it you could file the prongs to a point. Same with my '37 LVC Japan 501's.

For some reason Lee Japan and RRL don't have to deal with the safety issue as they use really accurate pronged buckles.

I think this was the place someone mentioned had buckles:

http://www.riverjunction.com/

I understand as well there were safety issues with not selling with prongs but that doesn't mean the have the use a cheap buckle that falls apart when you clip it. The buckle on my old LVC 501's was made from one piece so when you clip it you could file the prongs to a point. Same with my '37 LVC Japan 501's.

For some reason Lee Japan and RRL don't have to deal with the safety issue as they use really accurate pronged buckles.

I think this was the place someone mentioned had buckles:

http://www.riverjunction.com/

When I looked at Made & Crafted a moth or so ago, the new production Nevadas I saw had the previous, OK ish buckles. THese didn't have the bar, and were like the ones from 2001 or so. Those particular ones were't terrific... they would slip. I couldn't tell if they were made better, but at any rate they work, unlike the ones with a bar.

And yes... I still need more River Junction, as my 1886 cinch buckle failed over the summer

Paul,

Which one did you get from riverjunction? I need to order one as crownzip was spot on about the type of buckle on the 1915 - it will break in 2 if I snap the bar off.

Also, one of the rivet washers on the cinch is missing. I've emailed threebyone to let them know. Is it simply a matter of bashing a new washer on the rivet prong section.

Paul,

Which one did you get from riverjunction? I need to order one as crownzip was spot on about the type of buckle on the 1915 - it will break in 2 if I snap the bar off.

Also, one of the rivet washers on the cinch is missing. I've emailed threebyone to let them know. Is it simply a matter of bashing a new washer on the rivet prong section.

Erk very kindly offered to proxy me a riverjunction buckle. Then it turned out entertainment had bought a couple, so he sent me his spares. Very kind. PLease rep him!

The 2 tine brass buckle is the perfect shape for the 1990s and 1901 LVC. Altho the metal looks a pretty cheap over-shiny brassy colour.

p1040687.jpg

I thought I'd tone it down with some patinating solution I had knokcing around (I used it for ageing new brass doorknobs).

Result! I think that brassy colour was probably a coating. The buckle turned black, then when I polished it, it came out a silver colour, with odd touches of copper and black. NO idea why it worked so well, but this looks pretty perfect for LVC, no??

p1040689.jpg

rather than use the antiquing solution to strip the brass plating off the Doctor's buckle, I tried Zissou's tip, leaving the buckle in nail polish remover for a couple of hours, then leaving it in vinegar.

It took at least 24 hours, but it worked.

p1040911.jpgp1040912.jpg

Oh, and when I was googling for the photo of the buckle, I found this post. Completely irrelevant, but worth quoting... f

i believe riff asked me how my 1937s are doing in the WAYWTdenim thread...

they are doing fine; and here is a sassy action pic from a couple weeks ago.

4652222868_d1561678fa.jpg

drunk? maybe...

i have two pairs that i picked up last february. i believe the size 34 was 36.5. i want to say the size 36 was 38.5 or even 39. i'll check around, i have it written down somewhere.

found it. i gave them a couple hot soaks and a hot wash.

pre-soak :

waist -- 38.5

front rise -- 13.5

upper thigh -- 13.75

hem -- 9.5

back rise -- 17

inseam -- 35.7

post-soak :

waist -- 35.8

front rise -- 12.5

upper thigh -- 13.25

hem -- 9