Levi's Vintage Clothing

the 1966 skinny must have been the 606s, origanally the came with a big e orange tab, nothing weird about or was it only an E on an plain orange tab like with the cotemporary Capital E Premium line???... to the 70s flare i remember there have been jeans made by levi´s called "movin on" which had been produced until the 80s, sometimes you can see "The Toff" wearing them in Knight Rider with but pretty ugly pocket design!

yeh, thats what i was saying, the "1966" cut is probably designed after the 606 super slims. And I think the orange tabs with the LVC-esque capital E's were a brain fart by Levis because there were only 5 or so of these with the capital E's, rest were plain small case e's... This wasn't like the Capital E Premium line, it was like the LVC line.

All the raw stuff I've gotten from Dejan ( and all of my LVCs) are made in USA. Even the 209 coveralls were US made.

These were all raw when new and all US made

1920s 201s (2 pairs one pair 555)

33 501s (555)

37 201s (555)

37 501s

47 501s

55 501s

and the 1905 209 coveralls whice are the only pre washed LVCs I own.

Do you really like the 1927 denim? I think it's far too modern-looking, so very shiny and not at all hairy.

I liked the shade, which looked much more like the 20s LEvi's I've seen, I think it has the potential to wear more nicely than the 33 (or 37) which I find too much of a royal blue colour; I thought that shininess (sp?) would disappear after a soak. I can certainly see how the singeing might be irritating - if there IS shape variation on the production models, that will be a pain, too. There are huge inconsistencies there, I've seen some 1955 LVC made in San Antonio - the last Levi's production - which wasn't singed.

(In addition, much of the Cone denim seems to fluff up once it's soaked... but not all. Sigh.)

edit: you're right about the little e, it must have been a 78

Guest frye

Question; Ive Purchased A 1967 505 From Cultizm, How Come The Zipper Of My Jeans Says "levis" Not "42 Talon" ? I Thought This Jeans Is A Replica Of 1960's 505?

Question; Ive Purchased A 1967 505 From Cultizm, How Come The Zipper Of My Jeans Says "levis" Not "42 Talon" ? I Thought This Jeans Is A Replica Of 1960's 505?

does it have a redline and big e tab? i´ve seen a new standart red tab 1967 505 version in raw denim when i visit our berlin based flagship store...

Guest frye

yes redline,big E,single stitch on the back pocket ,no # on the top button meaning everthing are there except for the "42 talon zipper and purchared from cultizm.

Guest frye

i think its too late to exchange,ive soak it already might as well wear it and beat the hell out of it. thank you guys for the response. my only concern this time is the re-sale value if this jeans its not that authentic lvc from the start.

Do you really like the 1927 denim? I think it's far too modern-looking, so very shiny and not at all hairy. This is true for all the redline(Cone) denim in my opinion. Really like the 27 otherwise.

The small e 501 was presented to me as a 1978 but I dont know which is correct or why they'd choose 78 pver 83.

I realise that I'm very slow with the pics, they will be up asap.

Are there any photos of the new 27 501s anywhere?

Got a pair on order with Dejan and will ship as soon as he gets'm.

The denim on the 20s 201s blue/green line is just incredible.

WSJ abstract 07/08/2008:

[ Denim company Levi Strauss & Co. said its second-quarter net income plunged 98% and net revenue fell 8%, citing weak sales of its Levi and Dockers brands amid a tough U.S. economy.

The company reported revenue of $936 million in the second quarter ended May 25, compared with $1.01 billion in the year-earlier quarter...]

Tough U.S. economy me arse! It's no surprise to me why their sucking wind -- their customer service either does not know or does not bother to answer simple questions about their most expensive products (LVC). Hell, I even emailed "historian" Downey with history related questions regarding LVC a week ago and never got a response not even a 'go to hell, I'm a busy person, thank you'. It's my opinion that Levi's is a greedy, bloated bureaucratic hog that has lost sight of their core asset -- their customers.

WSJ abstract 07/08/2008:

Hell, I even emailed "historian" Downey with history related questions regarding LVC a week ago and never got a response not even a 'go to hell, I'm a busy person, thank you'. It's my opinion that Levi's is a greedy, bloated bureaucratic hog that has lost sight of their core asset -- their customers.

Perhaps you're right.

Perhaps Lynn Downey simply thought it wasn't a meaningful question? Perhaps she read your comments here, for instance your constant complaints that the company doesn't use the incorrect weight for the 1901 501 replica? Perhaps she notices how you keep asking questions but never have the grace to acknowledge the replies? And how many replies from historians in other companies have you received, btw?

If Levi's pain you so much, don't buy 'em! THere's heaps of terrific alternatives listed on this site.

Firstly,check out the Warehouse Duck Diggers - alongside LVC''s 2001 Nevada reissue, perhaps the buckleback repro there is, based on a turn of the century Boss Of The Road (they were an early rival of Levi's). More info on this thread:

http://66.240.222.190/showthread.php?t=15908&page=20

Also, check out the Edwin Vintage range, some details here. There's a lovely 1890-ish generic repro.

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2008/04/edwin-vintage-aw-2008.html

Thirdly, the SC 40501, if you can still get them, are a generic repro with a mix of 20s and 1880s features, but they're good value, with a mix of indigo and synthetic denim.

Hi Sympathy,

I'm no expert but I remember seeing them for the first time around the end of '86, in London. In a 501 style.

Around then a whole lot of companies started bringing out black jeans. Flip had been doing some black jeans in the early 80s.

Like I said, that just a personal memory and black jeans were certainly around in the seventies but I don't remember them being Levis.

Hope that helps or a least prompts a more informed reply :)

...you keep asking questions but never have the grace to acknowledge the replies?...

That's total BS Paul and you know it. I've always treated everyone on this forum with dignity and respect. Go back and read my posts in the archives, you will see that I 'have the grace to acknowledge the replies' of yours and everyone's help on this forum and even pointed out my own stupidity. For you to say otherwise is not only unfair, it's an unwarranted attack on my character.

Why do my legitimate questions and complaints get you upset to the point where you have to assail my character anyway? Could it be that you're on Levi's payroll to promote their high-end products on this forum? It sure seems that way since you dodge and/or attack someone's valid hard-hitting questions and concerns. Whatever the case might be, I for one prefer civil discourse rather than rude attacks regardless of how sensitive or unpopular the issue is.

.Could it be that you're on Levi's payroll to promote their high-end products on this forum?

Glad you're occupying the moral high ground! I think I'll leave this discussion here.

(and, as I'm sure everybody who has read most of this thread, or any others, would know, I'm not on Levi's payroll).

Glad you're occupying the moral high ground! I think I'll leave this discussion here.

(and, as I'm sure everybody who has read most of this thread, or any others, would know, I'm not on Levi's payroll).

Shes always been very responsive to me any time I had question. Might take a few days but shes always taken the time to get back to me and has always been very generous with her responses and her time.

If you guys get a chance to lay out the new global 501 cut next to a pair of LVC 1947 501's the similarities are impeccable. I had a chance to do this with a washed pair of 2008 501's and deadstock pair of 1947 501's, both in the same size. The leg shape was exact, not a centimeter off. The only difference I could note was that the 2008 501 was a half inch shorter in rise than the 1947 501. Pocket placement was exact. I also tried both on and could barely tell a difference in cut.

The new fabrics being used (in the US at least) are all Cone Mills denim, to boot! The new fabric they developed is aptly named "global blues," and feels soft, sturdy, and nubbly.

Shes always been very responsive to me any time I had question. Might take a few days but shes always taken the time to get back to me and has always been very generous with her responses and her time.

Yeah, Lynn's always been good about answering my stupid questions. I even get hand-signed letters in the mail! And to imagine all of the horrible, uninformed, stupid and annoying contacts she gets daily that she has to respond to, on top of doing her regular job of researching and authoring, promoting, and archiving (or whatever historians do.)

If you guys get a chance to lay out the new global 501 cut next to a pair of LVC 1947 501's the similarities are impeccable. I had a chance to do this with a washed pair of 2008 501's and deadstock pair of 1947 501's, both in the same size. The leg shape was exact, not a centimeter off. The only difference I could note was that the 2008 501 was a half inch shorter in rise than the 1947 501. Pocket placement was exact. I also tried both on and could barely tell a difference in cut.

The new fabrics being used (in the US at least) are all Cone Mills denim, to boot! The new fabric they developed is aptly named "global blues," and feels soft, sturdy, and nubbly.

Actually the 47 is cut to trim, the back pockets are to small and the rise is to low compared to originals. The cut of the 55 is dead on to late 40s through mid 50s 501s.

"...moral high ground." ? I'm not here to gain the high ground moral or otherwise. You just don't seem to get it. I'm telling you that I'm not going to put up with you or anyone else scoffing at me especially when it's supported with personal attacks that are based on lies. All I ask is that the next time you disagree with my opinions, don't like my questions or my complaints, try not to be such a dick when you respond. Okay?

Thank you.

Now let's drop it and move on.

...you keep asking questions but never have the grace to acknowledge the replies?...

That's total BS Paul and you know it. I've always treated everyone on this forum with dignity and respect. Go back and read my posts in the archives, you will see that I 'have the grace to acknowledge the replies' of yours and everyone's help on this forum and even pointed out my own stupidity. For you to say otherwise is not only unfair, it's an unwarranted attack on my character.

Why do my legitimate questions and complaints get you upset to the point where you have to assail my character anyway? Could it be that you're on Levi's payroll to promote their high-end products on this forum? It sure seems that way since you dodge and/or attack someone's valid hard-hitting questions and concerns. Whatever the case might be, I for one prefer civil discourse rather than rude attacks regardless of how sensitive or unpopular the issue is.

This is BS man. Paul T on Levis payroll? I think it has been pretty established that he is in no way affiliated with the company other than admiring their history and contribution to workwear/minimalist/utilitarian fashion design. Paul T has critiqued Levis for their lack of attention to details (when it comes to certain replicas) and overall turn towards overseas manufacturing and attempts to minimize costs at the expense of quality.

Take your 52 posts somewhere else.