Levi's Vintage Clothing

And don't forget how much better the price is at Cultizm ($222 compared to 215 pounds or almost $300 or more in other places in the US).

Were you able to find out how they have been sized? I recently sent them an email trying to find out and am waiting to hear back.

Edit: I should have checked my email first. Just heard back from them, and the 32s measure 33.5 in the waist, the 33s measure 34, and the 34s measure 35. Hope this helps others in my general size range!

Just arrived and they are slightly trimmer than all of the other early LVCs that I've owned.(as you all know I've owned quite a few) In the legs, thighs and waist. These are very very nice with reenforced knees crotch and nicely finished inner waist band. Also the buckle actually works after the bar clip. Very nice indeed,

looking forward to the pics AirFrog! How much were they shipped to the US?

Just arrived and they are slightly trimmer than all of the other early LVCs that I've owned.(as you all know I've owned quite a few) In the legs, thighs and waist. These are very very nice with reenforced knees crotch and nicely finished inner waist band. Also the buckle actually works after the bar clip. Very nice indeed,

Possibly early 70s 505? If it weren't for the tab I'd assume they were a pair of jeans from the 80s.

Eighties I don't know...I think by the eighties, OT's had rivets...not sure though...

Have a look at these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-80s-Levis-Black-Tab-Acid-Denim-Jeans-505-36-32-/250767256658

while we're talking dates, can someone clarify for me when the 551ZXX and 557 jacket came out? I've seen both 1957 and 1963 mentioned as the year they were introduced. Kinda assumed the latter date was correct, but looking at the 2003 catalog roy6 posted I see there's a 1962 model 557 offered by LVC that year. So, maybe the earlier date is correct? And as Levis moved east in the 50s there became a greater demand for sandfordized denim in a more modern cut?

The 55_ XX series jeans and jackets came out in 1962 (possibly even '61), to be replaced by the 505 series in 1966/7 (i.e 70505/505).

The Lvc 557xx is wrongly titled 1962, as it is in fact a '64 model (the 'Every Garment Guaranteed' was removed that year)

Guest redchris

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Valencia Street

08032011800.jpg

08032011801.jpg

08032011802.jpg

08032011804.jpg

08032011805.jpg

I'm surprised there is an ® on the red tab, althought I am aware that LVC made a bit of a dog's dinner of these on release.

Can you help, Paul ?

Guest redchris

The selvage is red/pink.

Yes, these are them.

I remember reading that these were completely mis-labelled and badly researched by LVC.

Still very nice though.

The 55_ XX series jeans and jackets came out in 1962 (possibly even '61), to be replaced by the 505 series in 1966/7 (i.e 70505/505).

The Lvc 557xx is wrongly titled 1962, as it is in fact a '64 model (the 'Every Garment Guaranteed' was removed that year)

Thanks for the knowledge!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Valencia Street

I'm surprised there is an ® on the red tab, althought I am aware that LVC made a bit of a dog's dinner of these on release.

Can you help, Paul ?

Nice pants.

They added the "R" so that the repros would be easily distinguishable from the originals.

As to why they called them 201 when they were really 501, I'm not sure, it has been suggested they did so to avoid confusion - in reality, it massively increased confusion. AFAIK, the Japanese did something similar with the '701', using another name (in this case, for the women's jeans) to distinguish the 30s 501 from the 50s ones.

Got over ambitious on ebay and bid too soon on a pair of 1947 'Broken Down' Jeans.

Pic below along with my 1944 Valencia St jeans which have 9 months wear since a luck score on ebay.

The fit of the 1947 jean is pretty modern. I am impressed with the finish on them, as it seems pretty authentic.

They are at a state where a pare of Mall jeans would start to disintegrate, but of course these are new.

I notice the self edge seam is thinner than on my 44s and 55s.

PICT4324.jpg

Are those STF? Price seems ok, but sadly (again...) no shipping to EU. Also only in L32...Funny thing is, we have 505 selvedge raws and predistressed popping up in stores over here these last few weeks, but not made in USA and quality is not brilliant...

No idea. The denim is White Oak, and the patch appears to be leather judging from the pics. Almost too good to be true.

too good to be true indeed...

I've got a sneaky suspicion the fabric is sanforized. which I guess doesn't really matter.

I visited ohio state over the weekend, walked around columbus for a little found this little store brigade. Owner was very nice, even though i was in no place to buy a new pair of jeans he was very helpful and a nice guy. They are the only lvc retailer in the state. Their webstore is missing a lvc and some other stuff but if you are ever in the area id check it out.

http://www.clothingbrigade.com/

too good to be true indeed...

I've got a sneaky suspicion the fabric is sanforized. which I guess doesn't really matter.

Ugh, Sanforized, never thought of that erk. There's something about the Sanforizing process that turns cotton into polyester, in my opinion.

they are almost certainly not stf's since it isn't mentioned. probably a shrewd mass market move on levi's part. i'll bet alot of mainstream retailers don't like to handle them. can you imagine the returns by newbies that bought their regular inseam and got highwaters? or for that matter followed the sizing advice on the tags in which case they'll almost certainly be too big in the waist. i never understood why levis tell their customers to go up a waist size, to me a recipe for disaster. anyway i insist on all my 501's being stf because i'm a traditionalist but i wear and have no problem with sanforized denim. i love 505's lee 101's etc...quality is quality.

I was recently in the Tokyo LVC flagship and tried on the 55501-0016 ('customised leg trembler'), and I loved the customised cut (pretty similar to the LVC customised 68606 I have basically worn out), but WHAT IS UP WITH THE DISTRESSING. ARGH.

As far as I could tell, they aren't available raw with the 'customised' cut. Anyone know whether there is in fact a raw version (like there was with the customised 68606) or have a recommendation for a similar cut jean?

Guest redchris
Nice pants.

They added the "R" so that the repros would be easily distinguishable from the originals.

As to why they called them 201 when they were really 501, I'm not sure, it has been suggested they did so to avoid confusion - in reality, it massively increased confusion. AFAIK, the Japanese did something similar with the '701', using another name (in this case, for the women's jeans) to distinguish the 30s 501 from the 50s ones.

I remember LVC released a later (non Valencia St) 1937 501XX which had a completely different cinch buckle, much bigger arcuates and a much looser fit. I can't remember whether they had ® on the tab.

I'm pretty sure these 201's are cone, very hairy cone as well.

I guess we could email the Levi site and ask them...but we all know how informative that wouldn't be.

If they're in Levi retail shops, I might get a look at them as I'm heading to DC this weekend.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

^ Yeah, I think they do. I believe the Black Seed denim is Sanforized. And Paul, those do look good but I've never liked the feel of Sanforized cotton; always feels limp and lifeless to me. to each his own