supertalk6

Anybody got any recommendations on cool lookin gloves? I recently got the ACG Trench and ACG Cargos, so the more technical urban look is what I'm going for. Also random question, has anyone tried skiing with the ACG cargos or at least walking through a snowy day with them? I'm in how they hold up and keeping you dry or not.

They're not insulated or waterproof so skiiing in them sounds like a really bad idea.

@Markmont

I'm really happy with

http://www.theheatcompany.com/en/gloves/heat3-smart-full-leather I chose (super) functionality above aesthetics: gloves and mitten in one, technical and natural combined, (warm patches) pouch, operating your smart device and having a secure line in situations where dropping your gloves is losing your rule of thumb. And well aesthetics; Mad Max here I come?

---

@Inkinsurgent & @SuE

http://gosharubchinskiy.com more retro than futuristic but one thing I've learned with travelling is that we know so little of what is hot and what is not in other cultures and certainly know next to nothing about their niches. What I see the local kids high in the Himalaya do is combining traditional yak wool jacket with tech gear and hoody and it looks bad ass. Their hairstyles are unmatched.

From the old box, Urban Tek no, where? Tech wear avant la lettre 😉

Bs0KkaQ.jpgp7RW6lf.jpgAkepeRI.jpgVdLZdRK.jpg

Edited by Sjefur

Re: Russia = Techwear Mecca(?)
Not really techwear related, but (to me) an interesting glimpse of the mentality or mindset of that hard/military aesthetic that I perceive as Russian. I guess if you're to relate it to aesthetics and cinema, it's more Mad Max than Blade Runner: 

A fascinating watch for me as I have little to no knowledge of Russian politics or it's recent history/turmoil. I guess I find it funny to envision the dystopian future having "designed" or "tech" fabrics with jacket slings, escape zippers, and Gore-Tex. But watching these hardened men, honestly they're just wearing old leftover military surplus gear and leather jackets/vests which function more as armor/protection. I guess I find it a little presumptuous to say that there's a future where all fabric and fits are aligned with Acronym when honestly their work will only and always serve a particular subset of the populace. It's cute to imagine as a product/fashion/clothing designer scenarios where you've created a futuristic and utilitarian fashion that's gear... but in reality for most people it really doesn't matter. I'm saying this as a designer who relates to this design dilemma. 

Edited by dystaind

They're not insulated or waterproof so skiiing in them sounds like a really bad idea.

Yea maybe so lol BUT beneath them I will have 2 seperate insulated layers. 1 is a thick skin layer (Nike pro Hyperwarm Max tights) and another is LL Beans PrimaLoft insulted liners. Also I'm not tall at 5 7 so the trench will cover most of my leg length.

Yea maybe so lol BUT beneath them I will have 2 seperate insulated layers. 1 is a thick skin layer (Nike pro Hyperwarm Max tights) and another is LL Beans PrimaLoft insulted liners. Also I'm not tall at 5 7 so the trench will cover most of my leg length.

Once they get wet though (which they will because the pants aren't waterproof), they won't insulate for jack.  In fact, probably the opposite: it'll draw your body heat.  Heat always moves from hotter to the cooler, so if your liners are wet/cold, your body heat will leave you.

So you don't think that even with this layer underneath them:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78255?feat=Primaloft-SR0&page=primaloft-insulated-long-underwear-bottom&attrValue_0=Gunmetal%20Gray&productId=1292210

and literally only about 8 inches of the pants showing (since the ski boots are high and the jacket is long) that I can stay dry?

mm_test_2016.jpg

Edited by Markmont

Wait, ur gonna spend a bunch of money on a bunch of insulators (that won't work) and will never wear again; but you don't wanna buy actual snowboard/ski appropriate clothing that will serve you well and look good (and be easily resold)... Is that right or wrong?

The new acg collection is NOT all conditions gear, it is mildly appropriate for inclement weather in the city. i am not trying to be rude, Every person here is trying to keep u from having a shitty time when you get soaked and cold.

You're gonna want pants that go over your boots instead of in them if you're going skiin, go hit up the burton site and see what they have for snow bottoms, I can still wear ur acg trench if you're set on it :)

so, I've been writing a monthly column for Heddels (formerly rawrdenim) and have been fortunate to enjoy a long leash to talk about things that get me going.  It's called Beneath the Surface.

last week's was about tech blazers and how their current technical form is linked to menswear tradition.  it involves some geeking out about design / functionality and talks a lot about the genius that is Herno Laminar City Zip Blazer.  A lot.

I thought it might be of interest... I'm trying to get the word out, so if you dig it please do consider circulating to your peeps and pardon the x-post with the Acronym threak.

http://www.heddels.com/2016/01/a-tech-blazers-dual-ops-function-and-form-beneath-the-surface/

lol i feel you jbob24 (IM KEEPING MY DAMN COAT HANDS OFF). i really don't want to buy a ski coat. the trench is waterproof and warm, and i got some good layers under so i'm not going to get cold. ill have appropriate ski gloves, helmet, appropriate under layers, face mask, etc. the coat won't get destroyed because i don't suck at skiing.

the item that i was going back and forth on was the pants. i was trying to figure out how to make the cargo pants work because they look cool lol - it was as simple as that. Based on my experiences skiing for a good 4 seasons (many many years ago) i don't recall ever being covered in snow to the point where my outter layer would be susceptible to getting wet, even if only water resistant. and i've never gotten cold while skiing because i know how to layer (from boston) those are the only 2 reasons why i considered it in the first place. that and just not wanting snow gear stuck in storage.

lot of snow pants ive seen just look hella boring. i know functionally the pants covering the boots makes sense. i'm just curious if anyones seen any pants that aren't straight up true straight fit up and down. a slight taper at the knee down (big enough to cover boot) would be a nice look. 

I own like a fuckload of ACG cargos because they're one of the few things I can wear in the jungle when it's 82° so wearing them in the snow seems really fucking dumb.

Edited by Igneousity

lot of snow pants ive seen just look hella boring. i know functionally the pants covering the boots makes sense. i'm just curious if anyones seen any pants that aren't straight up true straight fit up and down. a slight taper at the knee down (big enough to cover boot) would be a nice look. 

try marmot. they're reasonably priced and have some very low profile non-neon skiwear.

Look guys. Are you all awful skiers? Let the man be wet. I skied in my denim when I wanted. Regretted sitting down, that's all 😉

I'm a pretty solid skier I'm just not dumb as shit.

Some things need to be experienced. At least that's what I used to tell my parents when I did dumb shit 😂

I'm a pretty solid skier I'm just not dumb as shit.

Hah word so I'm 'dumb as shit' now? Got it. I let go of the idea of rocking the cargos. I explained why I was considering it and discussed how I was hoping to make it work. Got suggestions to not do it, then dropped it. Then i asked for some actual ski pant suggestions. Aye this is sufu, and I been in here for almost 10 years so I'm no stranger to shit talk and bashing, but in this convo, it ain't even necessary. Folks made suggestions and I took the suggestions.

You can try checking out the White Mountaineering x Burton line.  No experience with it, but I'd imagine that given WM's influence they'd put a little more emphasis on fit and such.

Hah word so I'm 'dumb as shit' now? Got it. I let go of the idea of rocking the cargos. I explained why I was considering it and discussed how I was hoping to make it work. Got suggestions to not do it, then dropped it. Then i asked for some actual ski pant suggestions. Aye this is sufu, and I been in here for almost 10 years so I'm no stranger to shit talk and bashing, but in this convo, it ain't even necessary. Folks made suggestions and I took the suggestions.

People got to chill.  If you wanna wear your ACG skiing, then by all means go ahead.  That being said, I own the cargoes, and there is very little to recommend it as a ski pant.  Layering will do little to change the fact.  But if you value aesthetics over comfort, man, that's your decision.  

On a side note, as a skiier of 25 years, you're more judged on your skiing abilities than your steez.  Unless you're a terrible skiier in 3k worth of gear...like every Mainlander ever on Whistler - then you are just flat ridiculed.

there is a new york brand that started as designer snowboard/urban techwear that I keep on wearing/promoting even with no affiliation. so I am not going to mention the name this time;)

SkxiNAF.jpg

This is Porbu Sangbu Sherpa from Old Syafru Bensi in Rasuwa/Langtang in Nepal. It's all really sad and one of my missions when I'm back in the Himalayas is to help my friends. So if you got any old gear you like to get rid of or want to donate than hit me up on www.facebook. com/helplangtangfamilies.

But that's not why I'm posting it. What you'd think about this 'Urban Tech Look'?

Can you imagine what the kids look like?

Edited by Sjefur

Yessss multicolour details I love shit that sucks to coordinate.