The history of technology is the history of pockets

CnlP2QJm.jpg

Diana Kimball writes on the complex symbiosis of devices, clothing, and the body:

In a very real way, what people tuck into their pockets signals what they care about. Ötzi the Iceman carried fungus to make fire. Japanese men in the Edo period carried medicine and seals. Queen Elizabeth I carried a miniature jewel-encrusted devotional book. European women in the 18th century carried money, jewelry, personal grooming implements, and even food. Here in 2015, we carry cellphones?--?never letting them out of our sight.

If what we put in our pockets is important, to advertise a product as pocketable is to imply that it's indispensable: something you'll always want by your side. Pocket watch manufacturers adopted this approach early; purveyors of pocket knives, pocket handkerchiefs, and pocket books (also known as paperbacks) followed suit. Technologies all, these tools still seem primitive relative to slim electronic bricks we haul around today. To find a direct ancestor of the cellphone, we need only look back as far as 1970: the year the pocket calculator was born.

It's a short essay, but still manages to cover multiple historical periods, eastern and western traditions, different problems faced by men and women -- remarkable range. A beginning.

(photo via Matthew Rutledge at Flickr)

The earliest pockets were pouches worn on belts. This practice dates back to the Bronze Age, at least. Ötzi the Iceman, “Europe’s oldest known natural human mummy,†died around 3200 BCE with a leather pouch slung around his waist...

In the Postclassical Era (200 CE–1500 CE, at the outside), the belt practice held. Medieval men and women alike wore girdles to cinch their tunics and dresses at the waist. From their girdles, they hung keys, knives, combs, wallets, and even — between the 13th and 16th centuries — books...

Margit Smith writes:

"The girdle book has the advantage that it can be read without being detached from the belt, as it hangs upside down in its normal state; when swung up to be read, however, the text faces in the correct direction. After reading, it could just be dropped and was again at hand the next time it was needed making it especially convenient for monks, priests, and clerics who traveled through the countryside for church services in monasteries and convents."

“the girdle book was not only functional.†...girdle books “were used symbolically to denote knowledge, wealth, intellectual curiosity and learning.â€

Any more of these?

Anyone have any recommendations for 3/4 length pants? I just snagged a pair of Y-3 Jet Shorts but I'm not in love with how loose they are (sized down). I'd prefer something a bit more form-fitting.

Also on the hunt for an edgy down jacket if anyone's got a lead.

Acronym P17

7_000000003315.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations for 3/4 length pants? I just snagged a pair of Y-3 Jet Shorts but I'm not in love with how loose they are (sized down). I'd prefer something a bit more form-fitting.

Also on the hunt for an edgy down jacket if anyone's got a lead.

What's your budget.

Outlier makes a pair, there's the acronym P17s, there's And Wander climber pants, etc etc etc.

What's your budget.

Outlier makes a pair, there's the acronym P17s, there's And Wander climber pants, etc etc etc.

Preferably sub-250, but I'm always open to quality options. I'm looking for something a little more form-fitting than P17's. I thought the Jet Shorts were my golden ticket but they're too baggy as well.

Edited by nesherman

Civilized Survival 3/4 Jersey PT

Hilltrek Ventile Breeches

These Hilltrek Ventile Breeches look perfect. Any comments on them?

nesherman how about the veilance apparat, might be hard pressed to find one but worth it, have a couple of pairs.

Apparat would be incredible but I haven't seen a pair pop up in what seems like ages.

was going to post this myself but it looks like it's not available anywhere! haven had them but it's sold out already.

Not sure what size you wear but Due West has a size Large left. 

http://www.duewest.ca/collections/stone-island/products/stone-island-shadow-project-reflective-vest

Doesn anyone have any feedbacks on the ISAORA Ultrasonic Mac ? I tried searching about it but couldn't really find so many feedbacks except from someone seeing it store and not being so impressed.

btw if anyone has any coupon code for the website, it'd be much appreciated.

Doesn anyone have any feedbacks on the ISAORA Ultrasonic Mac ? I tried searching about it but couldn't really find so many feedbacks except from someone seeing it store and not being so impressed.

It's currently on sale fof $235 (40% off). I've tried it before, can't say I was overly impressed, but then I'm used to Veilance and Acronym so it's really not a fair comparison. I think it's very good value for money, but then you need to be realistic about what you are getting since it is much, much cheaper than comparable brands. I think that goes for all Isaora products. 

I like the "idea" of all of these, but the model makes them all look like shit... I'd like that cardigan if it wasn't an obnoxious color of green. Would like to try on if it was possible but there's nowhere to buy SISP near me and I hate buying and sending back over and over just to try.

Somebody please post pics if you order any of this stuff :)

Not the Mac, but I have the wetworker which is put together with the same techniques. I have a few minor complaints but none relating to the ultrasonic welding. It's a nice jacket, especially if u can get a deal on it.

Can anyone make sense of maharishi Custom Pant types and their sizing? 

I have a couple of pairs of the older ones that are M which have enormous waists that you use the cinch straps to tighten. For those ones it was the leg length that really indicated size. Not sure about the ones that look more fitted though.

How's the inseam length for you guys? The site actually lists the "long" model as 4.5" shorter than the regular ones, and some webstores have their 6' tall size 30 models wearing a size L custom pant so i'm a bit weirded out here. 

For Maha pants sizing always challenge, unfortunately.

What custom you mean?

I have 7127 (https://www.maharishistore.com/item/3954/Maharishi/7127-TOUR-CUSTOM-CARGO-PANTS.html)

Great in waist due to rib parts.

Quite enough length.

I'm in M size of this item and 176 cm. tall, 73 kilos weight, 87 cm. waist.

Fit pic:

QEFSmYO.jpg?1

But for upcycled pants (cargo or rib) M a bit tight for me.

Edited by unmen

goodlooking fit, unmen, thanks. I'm just after a general idea of what their measurements mean. For example, the pants you're wearing are listed as having a 23" inseam in size M. Which would suggest they're either cropped or dropcrotch, but in your fit they're neither. It's strange.