I find Acronyms current line over the top. The detachable arm thing is high fashion/high concept. I would never use it. Not to mention that it looks foolish. I was hoping they would do another version of the ws-j25 because it's functional and beautiful. 

I don't think ACRNM line is over the top, I reckon you 'under-wear' it ! 

My only problem with Acronym is me being too big to wear much of it !!! 

- clothing heaven

So my triple aught design huntsman merino henley arrived today. Awesome piece, construction is top notch but size s turns out to be too small for me. If you're in EU, take it off my hands and dodge import taxes + more modest shipping costs.

They didn't invent the windstopper. What they did do is make it pack into itself. It also has the jacket sling. I f-ing love the jacket sling.

They didn't invent the windstopper. What they did do is make it pack into itself. It also has the jacket sling. I f-ing love the jacket sling.

Packable jackets are fkn awesome! Plenty of other companies have packable jackets though, sling is cool too.

Edited by einstine

So my triple aught design huntsman merino henley arrived today. Awesome piece, construction is top notch but size s turns out to be too small for me. If you're in EU, take it off my hands and dodge import taxes + more modest shipping costs.

How did you size, compared to your tee size?

Just got mine today also. I went off my t-shirt size and got a M. It fits but I want it to be looser, ordered a large. Wish they still had grey in L in stock. 

Lol at ws-j25 becoming a grail piece, did they invent windstopper?

its a grail for me (the ss-j25 as well) because i don't think there is anything like it in the market. with techwear hoodies, it's either too performance orientated (soft shells) or suited for outerwear only (hard shells). not to mention how hard it is to find one.

How did you size, compared to your tee size?

Just got mine today also. I went off my t-shirt size and got a M. It fits but I want it to be looser, ordered a large. Wish they still had grey in L in stock.

I'm generally an s in american brands and have a size s ranger lt that fits me perfectly (38" chest). I just overlooked the part where they mention they intend the henley as a base layer. It being a more classic, non-technical design, i wasn't expecting a next to skin fit.

I'm generally an s in american brands and have a size s ranger lt that fits me perfectly (38" chest). I just overlooked the part where they mention they intend the henley as a base layer. It being a more classic, non-technical design, i wasn't expecting a next to skin fit.

FYI The chest on M is 37" inches.

It's convinced me to hunt down a good deal on the kevlar version of the jacket.

Unnnghhhhh (Master P), Fuck yea.

I'm always telling myself I will get that when I "have the money."  The regular one is sick tho.  Fuck it erething they make is basically sick.  Your post reminded me of something I been thinking since I resurfaced of SF a couple months back...

I'm still that darkhorse in this thread who maintains that actual technical outdoor wear is as exciting, (more) innovative, and as good or better looking than 75% of the shit that gets posted here.

Take Tilak for example.  Whoa wait... it's Acronym designed, made in the same factory, incredibly well-patterned and constructed, and made of some of the best technical fabrics available.  They even offer ACR-style tech-nerd shit like removable pocket systems.  But the one time it gets brought up in this thread its so people can whine about how the collection isn't 100% black and the hood has a fucking red dot on the head.

Tilak, Klattermusen, Montane, Westcomb, Mystery Ranch, HMG, Gossamer Gear, McHale Packs....?  Even Arc'Teryx mainline and Patagonia on occasion...  Companies like these are pushing the envelope as far as functionality, durability, and aesthetics are concerned.  I guess I just find it strange that these names are absent from the conversations here more-often than not.  I get it: "more sophisticated technical features, "stealth branding," can wear it with a suit to work," etc, etc...I understand the argument for Urban Technical Wear, and I like a lot of it.  After initial resistance to Veilance, I can now better appreciate it for what it is: sophisitcated, understated, and well-designed.  Outlier I been fucking with.  But that was when it indentified more as a cycling apparel brand than anything else.  Isaora looks really intriguing to me for their overdying, and creative textile use, but if I am to believe what I hear, there are still lingering questions of overall quality which I find unacceptable at the price point they sell at.

Most of the rest of the brands I encounter here I could take or leave: ACR (yea, I said it), Endless Ammo, TAD, Ministry of Supply, shit even a lot of newer Stone Island.  I know.  This is blasphemy by some counts.  My intent is really not to antagonize at all, I just find the way outdoor apparell gets treated in this thread sort of irksome and baffling given that the R&D and design work done in the field literally paves the way for the majority of "innovations"seen in Urban Tech. 

To be clear this isn't some: "Hey guys, why isn't my TNF shell cool enough for the Urban Tech Thread?" newbie shit here.  I am totally aware of what the perceived distictions are as I have made clear above, I guess I just find many of them irrelevant or counterproductive.  At day's end I see the benefits of a reciprocal relationship between outdoor and urban technical apparel rather than a sort of "one-or-the-other" purist stance I have seen from both quarters.  I'm curious to hear thoughts on this if anyone is inclined.....

Edited by RAISED BY WOLVES

I'll follow up with some pictures of more interesting technical clothing from the "outdoor" side of the great divide soon if there is any interest.  I've come across and archived a lot of great stuff.  just need to take the time to up 'em to an image host since as far as I understand Superfuture still hasn't integrated that feature firectly into the post box...

i just find the way outdoor apparell gets treated in this thread sort of irksome and baffling given that the R&D and design work done in the field literally paves the way for the majority of "innovations"seen in Urban Tech.

Most active contributors to this thread are well-aware of what modern outdoor gear has to offer, and when interesting things happen in that field, they consistently show up in this thread. I'm not sure what's baffling about techwear being the main subject of the techwear thread, though.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

^actually. 

Unnnghhhhh (Master P), Fuck yea.

I'm always telling myself I will get that when I "have the money."  The regular one is sick tho.  Fuck it erething they make is basically sick.  Your post reminded me of something I been thinking since I resurfaced of SF a couple months back...

I'm still that darkhorse in this thread who maintains that actual technical outdoor wear is as exciting, (more) innovative, and as good or better looking than 75% of the shit that gets posted here.

Take Tilak for example.  Whoa wait... it's Acronym designed, made in the same factory, incredibly well-patterned and constructed, and made of some of the best technical fabrics available.  They even offer ACR-style tech-nerd shit like removable pocket systems.  But the one time it gets brought up in this thread its so people can whine about how the collection isn't 100% black and the hood has a fucking red dot on the head.

Tilak, Klattermusen, Montane, Westcomb, Mystery Ranch, HMG, Gossamer Gear, McHale Packs....?  Even Arc'Teryx mainline and Patagonia on occasion...  Companies like these are pushing the envelope as far as functionality, durability, and aesthetics are concerned.  I guess I just find it strange that these names are absent from the conversations here more-often than not.  I get it: "more sophisticated technical features, "stealth branding," can wear it with a suit to work," etc, etc...I understand the argument for Urban Technical Wear, and I like a lot of it.  After initial resistance to Veilance, I can now better appreciate it for what it is: sophisitcated, understated, and well-designed.  Outlier I been fucking with.  But that was when it indentified more as a cycling apparel brand than anything else.  Isaora looks really intriguing to me for their overdying, and creative textile use, but if I am to believe what I hear, there are still lingering questions of overall quality which I find unacceptable at the price point they sell at.

Most of the rest of the brands I encounter here I could take or leave: ACR (yea, I said it), Endless Ammo, TAD, Ministry of Supply, shit even a lot of newer Stone Island.  I know.  This is blasphemy by some counts.  My intent is really not to antagonize at all, I just find the way outdoor apparell gets treated in this thread sort of irksome and baffling given that the R&D and design work done in the field literally paves the way for the majority of "innovations"seen in Urban Tech. 

To be clear this isn't some: "Hey guys, why isn't my TNF shell cool enough for the Urban Tech Thread?" newbie shit here.  I am totally aware of what the perceived distictions are as I have made clear above, I guess I just find many of them irrelevant or counterproductive.  At day's end I see the benefits of a reciprocal relationship between outdoor and urban technical apparel rather than a sort of "one-or-the-other" purist stance I have seen from both quarters.  I'm curious to hear thoughts on this if anyone is inclined.....

i thought that the distinction between "urban techwear" and "outdoor apparel" would be an aesthetic thing more than anything else? 
case in point i've been using a pair of locally made trek shorts a lot lately-- and i love them; quick-drying, easy to move in, breathable, four good deep solid pockets plus a concealed zip pocket, etc etc. but it comes from a different place aesthetically. 

as i understand it "urban techwear" is technically advanced/on the level apparel that is designed to be very quiet/subtle-- you take the performance aspects of a piece of outdoor gear but slim it down such that you wouldn't look out of place/backpacker-y/etc etc in a city. some of the people in this thread want stuff they can wear to work with but that'll still perform on counts of breathability/weather-resistance/non-restrictive construction.

i love outdoor gear; would love to own tons of klattermusen/tilak/acg stuff and it comes out cheaper than ACR/veilance/isaora etc etc but i think one needs to remember that this is the "urban techwear" thread and not the "climbing gear" thread
or something. 

ultimately it'll be how well you can integrate it into everything else you own. some people just wanna be ALL TECHNINJ ERRTHANG 

whereas others feel they can seamlessly place some outdoor gear alongside their tech ninjawnz. you clearly belong here and one day i'd like to have the purchasing power to do the same but atm beyond me. 

uuuh unnecessarily long post aside just let me condense it to
not everyone would like to combine aesthetics the way you (and some others) do. puritanical approaches to clothing-- and everything else-- will always happen. 

that aside hit this thread up with moar outdoor jawnz! i wanna see~

^ Yeah.

I'm also part of the ridiculous minority want/grail after a WS-J25. It would definitely beat the hood-stowed CP Company jacket/pack-away anorak I carry in my bag all the time—just on weight alone. The idea of carrying a jacket that weighs less than: a. a bag of coffee, b. a document filled folder, c. small bottle of water, is ridiculously appealing and is an extreme that ACR simply destroyed.

That and I just like the thought of being able to hang/brandish it on the outside of my 9TS like the damn geek/nerd/dork that I am. 

Less serious commentary aside, I think that this thread appeals to and was born out of an attraction to a very specific kind of clothing / weird. Despite it sharing a LARGE overlap with outdoor apparel, the majority of the people you are talking are driven and attracted by a very different set of fetishes and motives. 

IMHO, you can even take that wire and split it further to: techninjas, business tech-casuals (vomit), off-season snowboarders, corporate/agency bike commuters, regressing middle aged cosplayers, overly equipped hikers, and people who just want to look the part.

I understand all too well that it is too easy to take the bait and just rant for several paragraphs—I for one would know (see page something)—but as long as this thread is the only platform of discussion here regarding technical apparel then the prevalent theme of it being 'urban' is just something have to bear with and keep an open mind to, contradictory opinions and all. 

I am with you and gndm on this one tho, I do not mind more outdoor jawnz at all ("branding BS and all" included).

I just clicked back six pages and literally every page features one or more posts re: conventional outdoor tech or non-techwear performance clothing.

Doesn't seem to me like cousin outdoor is lacking in attention.

Fair play on all the responses. I guess I could have just kept my mouth closed. But then this wouldn't be superfuture, right?

A little background/full disclosure here for perspectives sake. A few years back I started a thread called clothing for the great outdoors. It was popular and interesting for a while. But after the umpteenth " hey how does this penfield 60/40 jacket fit should I size down" query, combined with the vintage outdoor gear shit hitting mainstream and getting totally diluted, most of the valuable contributors set sail, myself included.

Upon my recent return this thread was in full swing and CFTGO had died completely. Rather than administer CPR to a dead horse, I came over here. I read this thing front to back and think its the best/most intelligent thread going as far as my interests are concerned. While I think a lot of what I'm into still belongs in the CFTGO thread, there is enough crossover to make contributions here relevant and interesting. Lets just hope it doesn't interfere too much with the duly-noted hyper-specific tendencies of this audience...

Thanks for taking the time to engage....

Just a thought, but seeing as how outdoors gear is largely function-driven, wouldn't a superculture hiking/climbing/backpacking thread be a good place for more technical gear discussion? That way we can avoid the "should i size down" pitfalls of largely a style-driven thread.

Just a thought, but seeing as how outdoors gear is largely function-driven, wouldn't a superculture hiking/climbing/backpacking thread be a good place for more technical gear discussion? That way we can avoid the "should i size down" pitfalls of largely a style-driven thread.

I guess so.  Is there such a thread that has emerged in the time since I been gone that you know of (like post-'11 to now)?  The only drawback with that idea is that while it will avoid many of the "should-i-size-down" connundrums, it will also field a ton of "Hey, what is the best *insert item type here* for under 200 dollars?  I dont need it to climb mountains, just to walk from my dorm to the library" type shit.  I suppose all this is totally unavoidable in the end...

I'd rather talk about the specifics of the relevant gear here with fashion and design snobs and save my trip-report reading and "awesome TNF raincoat" reviews for other sites and forums.  Until I find (or make) a place that addresses both of those needs adequately that is...

...just let me cop some hike-worthy footwear and start going on legit hikes then we can make "SUFU HIKING CLUB" thread or something~

Anyone have experience w/ some of the other brands that make Schoeller Dryskin pants?

just found these a company called Thunderbolt that seems to have cuts roomier than the Outlier stuff.

Are there any other brands out there like this?