^final home <3

seriously tho that ministry of supply crap. it's just attempts to cash in on this whole "technical" thing because there's a market for it. the wording for the ad is crap and uses vague ass terms to try to sound tech-y alongside some music that attempts to sound inspirational; like their product's "technical-ness" will let you live life to the fullest.

after watching it i felt like very little of the product was actually explained. vaguevaguevague. annoying.

Not in ny, but rockywoods.com carries a lot of interesting overrun fabrics and is generally stocking schoeller in some shape or form.

May not be the place to start a discussion on it, but given the number of companies using Schoeller these days, is there a chance that any American or Chinese mills start making something similar to drive the price down? I'd assume they have some sort of patent on the Nanosphere, but if the technology is available, I'm kind of surprised no one else is trying to undercut them. I don't know a whole lot about textiles, so I may just be talking out of my ass or describing something that already exists, but sucks.

Edited by brooks_

i used my exoffico boxers on my recent vegas trip. they were great. wore under some swim trunks at a pool party and dried asap. no stink after coming back at 5am. but i guess it's also because it was ~100 degrees. they didn't smell or anything. wish i didn't spend a lot of money so i could just only wear these.

May not be the place to start a discussion on it, but given the number of companies using Schoeller these days, is there a chance that any American or Chinese mills start making something similar to drive the price down? I'd assume they have some sort of patent on the Nanosphere, but if the technology is available, I'm kind of surprised no one else is trying to undercut them. I don't know a whole lot about textiles, so I may just be talking out of my ass or describing something that already exists, but sucks.

You have to differentiate between schoeller textiles and schoeller surface finishes. There are plenty of equivalent textiles on the market, the most notable companies producing these being tweave llc and duro textiles. There is at least one us company making a nano-based dwr treatment, not sure if it's their own cook or a schoeller license. I honestly don't know if nanosphere has a significant advantage over more traditional fluoropolymer based dwr treatments. Abrasion of the face fabric, fraying the outer fibres has a bigger impact on long term water repellency than the wearing off of the dwr.

thought this might be relevant to some people's interest

nike free alt closure run (ie modified kukini free)

3280180_large.jpg?869

Anyone know where this colorway is available?  I googled "nike free alt closure run" and I keep finding links to Norsestore and the shoe with blue webbing...

I need a recommendation for a blazer. I want it to be a all season blazer so nothing heavy, and preferably have elastane in it, more then 2%. Water resistant is a plus, but does not need it. I like outliers but don't like navy, and really don't want to wait till they release a new color.

Color in ranges of black, and grey budget is $400. 

What size do you wear? There's a Proof NY one on eBay right now for 350$ in small. The same guy has had some in each size over the past couple weeks, not sure if there'll be more larger sizes, though.

A few questions:

Jackets:

Will a Veilance insulated field jacket be enough to get me through a NY winter?  Tokyo is pretty mild so I've forgotten what bitter cold is like.

Same question for the combo of Gore-tex/Pertex shell plus fleece/down liner jacket (also - of the above which would be warmer to wear under a shell,Ive never used either).  It would be great if I could get an extra seasons use from an uninsulated jacket (like a Veilance field jacket) and then add a decent fleece/down when necessary.  I have a feeling either it wont be warm enough or will cause binding at the arm pits on slimmer cut, "fashion" shells like Veilance, WM, Visvim etc. 

Underwear:

Not sexy but what are people doing to clean their sweat wicking items?  Perhaps a way to re-apply the anti-bacterial stuff they're treated with at the factory? Some of my Uniqlo Silk Dry shirts gets a nasty smell that cant be washed out/comes back after a few hours wear.  

The Silk Dry shorts never get as bad but they cause just a general funk as compared to wearing cotton boxer briefs.  Kinda stuck at the moment because cotton cotton boxer briefs are going to suck as the weather heats up.

Edited by fals3

A few questions:

Jackets:

Will a Veilance insulated field jacket be enough to get me through a NY winter?  Tokyo is pretty mild so I've forgotten what bitter cold is like.

Unfortunately the answer to that is probably 'No'. The Veilance insulated jackets aren't very warm. In the designer's own words:

When people see insulated pieces they often want to know how warm are they. We're always asked, "Is this the warmest jacket I'm ever going get?" And they aren't really. They don't offer static warmth. If you're just standing there, they're not going to be the warmest jackets on the market, but what they do offer which a lot of insulated pieces don't is dynamic warmth. If you're actually moving, and through different environments, because it protects you from the weather rather than just the cold, it will be warmer. This is because you're also dry and are keeping the water outside of the whole jacket where the other ones will pull in a bit of moisture and then reduce how warm it can be. So yes, standing around, the thicker the jacket, the warmer it is, but if you're moving and it's cold and rainy or cold and windy then these will really come into their own.

Same question for the combo of Gore-tex/Pertex shell plus fleece/down liner jacket (also - of the above which would be warmer to wear under a shell,Ive never used either).  It would be great if I could get an extra seasons use from an uninsulated jacket (like a Veilance field jacket) and then add a decent fleece/down when necessary.  I have a feeling either it wont be warm enough or will cause binding at the arm pits on slimmer cut, "fashion" shells like Veilance, WM, Visvim etc.

Yes, if you pair the right fleece/down liner jacket with a shell then you should be warm enough (Down is the warmer of the two). If you insist on getting the best fit while having separable pieces that can be worn in all seasons then look for modular sets like the Stone Island modular vest or jacket and the Reigning Champ MA-1 with removable vest. Otherwise do it the old fashioned way; size up on the gore-tex/pertex shell and try it on at a store until you find the best fit.

Underwear:

Not sexy but what are people doing to clean their sweat wicking items?  Perhaps a way to re-apply the anti-bacterial stuff they're treated with at the factory? Some of my Uniqlo Silk Dry shirts gets a nasty smell that cant be washed out/comes back after a few hours wear.  

The Silk Dry shorts never get as bad but they cause just a general funk as compared to wearing cotton boxer briefs.  Kinda stuck at the moment because cotton cotton boxer briefs are going to suck as the weather heats up.

Switch to merino wool underwear.

^^^^^100%

But I mean, dynamic warmth>>>static warmth. Unless your like....a parking lot attendant or some shit.

Merino wool base layer + insulation of choice (fleece, down) + breathable shell = good-to-go for all but the most frigid east coast city weather.

If your concerned about it, Reduce shoulder/arm bulk by choosing vests in the insulation dept rather than sleeved mid-layers. keeps your core toasty while allowing for enhanced freedom of movement and in some cases better fit of outer shells. Though frankly a shell that doesn't allow for an insulating layer underneath--fashion brand or not-- is not a shell i recommend.

Edited by RAISED BY WOLVES

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArcTeryx-AOR1-Custom-Goretex-Alpha-Jacket-MEDIUM-Wet-Weather-Navy-SEAL-DEVGRU-/281101884026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172fa5a7a

Something you don't see every day. Dead bird parka made for the guys up at dam neck. Only about 700 of these were made.

Unfortunately the answer to that is probably 'No'. The Veilance insulated jackets aren't very warm. In the designer's own words:

When people see insulated pieces they often want to know how warm are they. We're always asked, "Is this the warmest jacket I'm ever going get?" And they aren't really. They don't offer static warmth. If you're just standing there, they're not going to be the warmest jackets on the market, but what they do offer which a lot of insulated pieces don't is dynamic warmth. If you're actually moving, and through different environments, because it protects you from the weather rather than just the cold, it will be warmer. This is because you're also dry and are keeping the water outside of the whole jacket where the other ones will pull in a bit of moisture and then reduce how warm it can be. So yes, standing around, the thicker the jacket, the warmer it is, but if you're moving and it's cold and rainy or cold and windy then these will really come into their own.

Yes, if you pair the right fleece/down liner jacket with a shell then you should be warm enough (Down is the warmer of the two). If you insist on getting the best fit while having separable pieces that can be worn in all seasons then look for modular sets like the Stone Island modular vest or jacket and the Reigning Champ MA-1 with removable vest. Otherwise do it the old fashioned way; size up on the gore-tex/pertex shell and try it on at a store until you find the best fit.

I don't see anything in that quote about them being "not very warm," it says is that they aren't the warmest jackets on the market.

Pairing a liner with a shell is definitely a more versatile option and potentially warmer depending on the mid layers you choose. The insulated field jacket has 140g/m insulation on the body and 80g/m in the sleeves. There isn't a fleece out there that will offer that sort of insulation, (I may be wrong, I'd love to see that fleece). A down mid layer, like the stone island pieces mentioned, would be a good choice to get more warmth with less bulk. The Reigning Champ/Haven MA-1 is an awesome piece, don't get me wrong, but having handled it I can say won't be nearly as warm as a insulated field jacket. The insulation isn't as substantial and is only through the body and the shell of the jacket is cotton jersey, not terribly good at blocking wind or keeping the rain out.

^^^^^100%

But I mean, dynamic warmth>>>static warmth. Unless your like....a parking lot attendant or some shit.

Merino wool base layer + insulation of choice (fleece, down) + breathable shell = good-to-go for all but the most frigid east coast city weather.

If your concerned about it, Reduce shoulder/arm bulk by choosing vests in the insulation dept rather than sleeved mid-layers. keeps your core toasty while allowing for enhanced freedom of movement and in some cases better fit of outer shells. Though frankly a shell that doesn't allow for an insulating layer underneath--fashion brand or not-- is not a shell i recommend.

^^ This is some pretty solid advice

I looking for tech oxfords to go with an urban techware suit. Anything interesting out there or do I have to stick with leather?

Rain Man out of Japan. Never handled them but this is what it said on selectism:

Japanese footwear brand Rain Man address the problem of looking good is nasty weather with this line of rainproof footwear. Granted, these aren’t designed to protect you during a Perfect Storm type scenario however if it’s dealing with a downpour on the way home from work then these should keep your toes nice n’ dry. A leather-like material on the upper, moulded from two pieces and sealed throughout as with classic rain footwear, Oxfords, Derbys and Brogue boots, smart enough for work or other dress smart situations.  This new brand is looking to expand out of the homeland so keep an eye on the website for news.

Could be worth looking into.

Edited by larssss

I own & operate an irrigation company as a second job in the spring/summer & spend 8 hours a night setting & repairing irrigation systems & I swear by this stuff, it takes 6hrs of running around in heavy waterfall (sprinklers) before I start feeling any dampness.

How often do you have to apply it? I'm trying to avoid leather because I can't be bothered to polish my shoes every (other) day...

Been working on a personal "gear library" archive of sorts as part of a larger project to emerge sometime in the not-so-distant future.  Ultimately this will all be shot "for real, "but pelimineary cataloguing is happening with the dreaded iphone camera.

Figure I might as well share content that is related to this thread.  As always, my contributions will be more in the realm of outdoor technical apparel then Urban...but this thread lacks in pictures of things people actually own (no disrespect intended at all there; just noticed many more links and manufacturer's shots) so why not:

Afformentioned Klattermusen Einride jacket in Charcol:

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Edited by RAISED BY WOLVES

A few questions:

Jackets:

Underwear:

http://www.finisterreuk.com/shop/mens/p/view-all-product.html

Get on board with these guys.. Their underwear is top notch, t's got the right fit and their insulators kept me warm along with my Arc shell..

For their price point and eco stance can't recommend them enough.

Edited by aso2004

ay ninjas,

I lost my torrentshell and need a jacket to replace it.  I'm not really trying to break the bank on it because I'm not into the whole tech thing just trying to stay dry.  You guys have any suggestions or should I just get another torrentshell?  Cheaper the better but I wouldn't mind ~200-250 for something I liked.  That said I'm not going to be doing any extreme outdoors shi moreso just staying dry walking through the city probably would prefer fashion to function to be honest.

oh yeah would be dope if it was packable too.

thanks in advance if anyone feels like helping.

Edited by Sean9

I'd say replace it with a torrentshell.  I recomend the half-zip if you haven't tried it before.  better looking and lighter than full-zip version.

Also take a look at OR (Outdoor Research) in that price range.  Simple, clean, minimal branding.  I find it a bit boring but it could fit the bill. 

If you'd prefer fashion to function i'd say save your pennies for a bit and get somethin nice.  Most inexpensive "fashion" tech wears are garbage.

ay ninjas,

I lost my torrentshell and need a jacket to replace it.  I'm not really trying to break the bank on it because I'm not into the whole tech thing just trying to stay dry.  You guys have any suggestions or should I just get another torrentshell?  Cheaper the better but I wouldn't mind ~200-250 for something I liked.  That said I'm not going to be doing any extreme outdoors shi moreso just staying dry walking through the city probably would prefer fashion to function to be honest.

oh yeah would be dope if it was packable too.

thanks in advance if anyone feels like helping.

Check Nau in that price range. Should be something that fits the bill and performs and looks decent.