Acronym.

Westbrook

Have a quick question about garment care (recently purchased a pair of p10-s). It seems like the general consensus for jackets is to wash w/ tech wash and re-apply DWR and throw in the drier (I do the same for my arcteryx shell).

Wanted to double check to see if this same process would be applicable to the p10-s from this season. Don't want to ruin a pair of pants by throwing them into a drier needlessly.

Thanks!

P10 fit questions:

I own P10-DS from the FW1516 release.  Size small fits me perfect, don't need to wear a belt if I don't want to. 

Just picked up the P10-S from this most recent release, also size small.  Fit is also perfect (although the DS drapes a bit better near the ankles), but...

1) Should I be concerned about them shrinking? 

2) Should I just dry clean them? 

3) How is best to maintain or reapply DWS?

With the DS, due to the nature of the material, all I have done is just wipe them down with a slightly damp cloth to remove any dirt/splashes near the bottoms from wearing in wet climates.  Otherwise I am not very hard on them.  Anything else I might be overlooking with it comes to the care of the DS vs. S?  And since I am interested in the CH version, will there be any shrinkage or special care I should be aware of ahead of purchase?

Thanks. 

Stotz lasts a long time before needing its first wash

But can be a pain to wash

I found best way is in bath ,then drip dry outside

Don't crease the fabric while washing and drying

Ive also re dyed this way with good results

Love to see some new p9

Edited by greencarman

Yeah, because words on a tag are infallible. ;)

I asked specific questions for a reason; the care tag mentions nothing about shrinkage.  Some garments make this more clear.  Cotton can shrink, even on the coldest settings.  These are 100% cotton, thus the concern... 

Which part of the Stotz care instructions have you followed and to what result?  Can you elaborate? 

on the topic of ETA Stotz fabric care, I have written an email directly to eta in switzerland a year back. My good ol' weary S-J11 needed some care, water repellent properties went south after all those years, during I have been rough on the jacket I must admit. (actually I found the invoice today, almost exactly six years back on the 16th of april 2010, when firmament was the-glade still)

I thoroughly explained my issues and asked for care instructions how to re-condition my eta stotz jacket, the reply I got was:

es gibt 2 Möglichkeiten:

- Sie verwenden Nik Wax cotton proof as wash–in Imprägnierung

- Sie verwenden Nik Wax spray on Imprägnierung

- Sie lassen die Jacke bei einem Trockenreiniger gleichzeitig imprägnieren

Freundliche Grüsse,

Daniel Odermatt

Division Manager

Stotz & Co. AG

Walchestrasse 15

CH - 8021 Zürich

Phone: +41 44 366 51 15

Mobile: +41 79 427 58 83

[email protected]

www.etaproof.ch

which roughly translates (if you haven't already figured it out yourself) two, actually three options to the owner as follows:

- use nik wax cotton proof wash-in

- use nik wax spray on repellent (the version for cotton fabrics I suppose)

- professional dry cleaning plus proofing/coating method

Imho ToKo and Granger's (which arcteryx recommends for its products) will do the trick also, but since Eta Stotz is a cotton based ventile product there is no DWR treatment, this has been mentioned often before, so tech wash ins/ spray ons (for the gore tex likes) aren't recommended.

I washed mine by hand with fairly hot water and without chemicals, hung and when almost dry, sprayed on the mentioned cotton proofing. There was a spot which I cleaned seperatly with natural soap successfully.

The jacket felt a bit stiff (not as tough as an unironed jeans though) when completely dry, which I actually found to be nice. It felt like the jacket "veils" on you when wearing a couple of times after. The washing/treatment helped to gain the jacket's original capabilities / proper qualities.

hope this helps a bit.

Btw, if anyone has some experiences on recoloring the limonta material on my 3rdarm, pls lemme know. bagjack couldn't help so far.

Edited by FlavourTwist

P10 fit questions:

I own P10-DS from the FW1516 release.  Size small fits me perfect, don't need to wear a belt if I don't want to. 

Just picked up the P10-S from this most recent release, also size small.  Fit is also perfect (although the DS drapes a bit better near the ankles), but...

1) Should I be concerned about them shrinking? 

2) Should I just dry clean them? 

3) How is best to maintain or reapply DWS?

With the DS, due to the nature of the material, all I have done is just wipe them down with a slightly damp cloth to remove any dirt/splashes near the bottoms from wearing in wet climates.  Otherwise I am not very hard on them.  Anything else I might be overlooking with it comes to the care of the DS vs. S?  And since I am interested in the CH version, will there be any shrinkage or special care I should be aware of ahead of purchase?

Thanks. 

I have washed my P-9S probably 15-20 times now and they have not shrunk or faded. Wash them on a gentle cycle, use tech wash or a good washing detergent, do an extra rinse, then air-dry (you will want to get any creases out before you dry them). 

Edited by drgitlin

Have a quick question about garment care (recently purchased a pair of p10-s). It seems like the general consensus for jackets is to wash w/ tech wash and re-apply DWR and throw in the drier (I do the same for my arcteryx shell).

Wanted to double check to see if this same process would be applicable to the p10-s from this season. Don't want to ruin a pair of pants by throwing them into a drier needlessly.

Thanks!

it's no Gucci,lol. so hand wash with water is fine. not for j38lp and j54lp and you know the reason. j1alp is fine with water washing however according to my experience.

Not sure if it's just me but anyone notice they changed the ACRNM site so that you can drop down a list with all the available sizes on the checkout page rather than try them all and keep getting the red "Sold out". Much nicer - lets see these returns coming!!

Edited by RemarkableArmor

Not sure if it's just me but anyone notice they changed the ACRNM site so that you can drop down a list with all the available sizes on the checkout page rather than try them all and keep getting the red "Sold out". Much nicer - lets see these returns coming!!

Yeah, I hate having to put it in a cart before I can see the price and available stock.

Plus that "sold out" behaviour actually prevents you from selecting certain colour/size combinations (it's a bug in the system, I've already let them know).

Not a very well designed site, in my professional opinion. Form over function. Flashy instead of finished.

EDIT: Looks like the bug has been fixed. Good show!

Edited by Sypron

I have washed my P-9S probably 15-20 times now and they have not shrunk or faded. Wash them on a gentle cycle, use tech wash or a good washing detergent, do an extra rinse, then air-dry (you will want to get any creases out before you dry them). 

i feel like i fucked up washing my p17-s pants. i got ketchup on them due to my own stupidity; tried to get the ketchup out, eventually hand washed them, but wrung out the pants instead of just hang drying them. now they're kinda crinkly and the area around stain [knee area] is a bit faded with a small white stain. 

Oh, good. He's back again. He was trying to get people to offer him $4k plus on Facebook and was being all around dbag. Not even complete kit, it's missing the 3a-1

Edited by jbob24

For those that own the J25-WS, do you have any personal tips or tricks for stuffing it away in it's own stow away pocket? I just tried doing it once but wow did it take me forever. Mostly because I was afraid of tearing or stretching of the fabric. Did you remove the jacket sling before packing it? It's not as easy as I thought. It's definitely no KR-SM1 :P

Ok so on behest of my friends, we decided to time how long it takes me to fold the J25 into it's own stow pocket; result: 17secs flat. I'm pretty sure I can shave a couple of secs off that easy. 10 secs would take a bit more practice.

@cmdR - could you give me any tips on your technique? I'd love to get packing this up down to 20 second rather than the minute+ I experienced last night ha! 

I have extensively used both the WS-J25 (SS12) & LA3-WS and find them my go-to out ware throughout spring to early autumn in my climate ymmv ofc. The dryskin on the other hand I dislike, too heavy, is less wind resistant and has a rough feel on the skin.

I just want some dif colours tho, olive or something else would be great.

@badlydrawn - perhaps you might have some tips on this since you mentioned you wore the J25 often.

Edited by analog29

If u search the thread back there is a tutorial for packing the j25.

I did do a search and found a video of Errolson packing it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pACWXS1bD3k but it cuts mid way as he's packing it up (probably to save time) 

If you can link me @jbob24 to this tutorial, I would appreciate it. I couldn't find it and I searched through threads dating back to 2012. Maybe I need more coffee :P

Edited by analog29

@analog29 despite how thin it is, the GT fabric is actually quite durable. If there is anything that will fail first, it's the seams. So as long as you are mindful of not stressing the seams too much you can be quite rough with the fabric and it'll hold. Just loosely fold the jacket behind the stow pocket then fold the pocket over. With enough practice you can do it without needing the lay the jacket flat; while waking even.

Ugh I can't believe I didn't see this! Thank you @jbob24!

95E52EE5-CFE3-42FF-A9D9-CC68C2032F3D_zps

EB5B1FF9-C251-464B-AC4B-A9322F2DFBBD_zps

@cmdR thanks for the heads up on the durability of the fabric. I'll spend some time practising later tonight! Cheers!!! 

@analog29 despite how thin it is, the GT fabric is actually quite durable. If there is anything that will fail first, it's the seams. So as long as you are mindful of not stressing the seams too much you can be quite rough with the fabric and it'll hold. Just loosely fold the jacket behind the stow pocket then fold the pocket over. With enough practice you can do it without needing the lay the jacket flat; while waking even.

For those that own the J25-WS, do you have any personal tips or tricks for stuffing it away in it's own stow away pocket? I just tried doing it once but wow did it take me forever. Mostly because I was afraid of tearing or stretching of the fabric. Did you remove the jacket sling before packing it? It's not as easy as I thought. It's definitely no KR-SM1 :P

@cmdR - could you give me any tips on your technique? I'd love to get packing this up down to 20 second rather than the minute+ I experienced last night ha! 

@badlydrawn - perhaps you might have some tips on this since you mentioned you wore the J25 often.

I don't really have a method, at least like Spyron - its basically just stuffing it in itself and just making sure the zip doesn't get too tangled - usually try to insert the zips last and than giving it a whack against the palm to pack it in finally. : )

As cmdR mentioned, the fabrics quite durable, it always kind of feels like I might poke a hole in it (even after this many years) but it hasn't happened yet. And I use it without much care tbh. Not much help I am afraid. Packing takes 45 sec - 1 min, unpacking is 20-30 sec roughly. 

Oh, and I never use any of the jacket/shirt slings.

Edited by badlydrawn