Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

^ looking good mate... lovely denim, fading nicely  

How do you judge the rate of fading compared to FW WW2 or 'standard'? 

I've been wearing my 37 jeans and 33 jacket daily and I'm thinking it'll be a long haul.  I'm cool with that btw as I really like this denim in it's darker state as well as faded, so not in a rush.

@MJF9 I'd say that the WW2 denim faded a little more quickly by comparison, but looking back I did take a slightly different approach with washing both pairs.
With the WW2 I was washing at least once a month, while with the 37s I waited a bit longer initially (washed every few months) and now I'm washing about once a month.
I can't speak to the standard denim actually, as I haven't put time into a pair yet. Might give the 661XX some more time though to see how they break in.

I'll try and take some comparison photos of the WW2 and 37s this weekend.

11 hours ago, Broark said:

601XX-C after another wash, a year of wear into them now.
Not sure how they manage to do it, but I still don't have any loose threads.
Cool seeing the variation between the right and left side outseam stitches, the right side (left in these photos) being chainstitched and a bit thicker than the other.
vwfS5L7.jpg
jaTBoQn.jpg
ryyWha0.jpg
xyc6qae.jpg
v0utJUp.jpg
KCsfinY.jpeg

The WW2 models have the same out seam but different stitch length and threads. But one is single stitch and one is chain. I love that the right back pocket is offset, that both left and right are right back pockets and the left folded butt seam. 

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

For some the cinch can be uncomfortable with a belt

Plus it also depends on the belt used, for example. I use my thicker Hollows belt for my war and post war jeans,  and my thinner Duke belt for all the pre- WW2 jeans, which is comfortable over suspender buttons and a cinch.

8 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Plus it also depends on the belt used, for example. I use my thicker Hollows belt for my war and post war jeans,  and my thinner Duke belt for all the pre- WW2 jeans, which is comfortable over suspender buttons and a cinch.

This right here says we’re on a forum for ‘very sophisticated denim addicts’ 

I saw those photos. Also his worn in jeans and jacket look killer. 
im curious how the 1942 will differ from all the previous offerings. If it’ll be a new cut or strictly different buttons/rivets? 

@Dr_Heech do you have a list of what historically separates the 42 model from other jeans at the time?
Off the top of my head, I've only seen Warehouse reproduce a 42 model and it looked more like a standard war era pair but with a crotch rivet and denim pocket bags (no cinch as well).

On 11/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, Broark said:

@Dr_Heech do you have a list of what historically separates the 42 model from other jeans at the time?
Off the top of my head, I've only seen Warehouse reproduce a 42 model and it looked more like a standard war era pair but with a crotch rivet and denim pocket bags (no cinch as well).

Well from 1936 the back pocket rivets were covered and the tab was introduced. The jeans were given the lot number 501XXC. Some pairs made in 1936 had machine pressed suspender buttons,  probably customer led requests. In 1937 the first 501xx with a pocket flasher was introduced, informing customers about the non scratch 'concealed copper' rivets still being there albeit hidden. Around 1939/1940 the yoke construction on the back of the jeans was reversed. Around 1941 a black buckle replaced the standard copper/silver one. Black stitching was used to sew the waistband on the 501 sometimes in the early 1940s, just before America's involvement in the war.

In April (I think?) of 1942, the second pocket flasher was introduced informing customers about the non scratch 'concealed pocket' rivets still being there on this, the last 501 with a cinch strap before the war. Copper had stopped being used on this model. The most important feature though is the reversal of the back yoke seam construction becoming the standard just before the first war model in December 1942 (S501XX). The one thing l haven't looked into is the left over right and right over left back panel swap. Did this occur at the same time? This FW repro does seem to - l wonder if they were copied direct from an original pair?

Edited by Dr_Heech
To add the copper bit and dates

11 minutes ago, Broark said:

Thanks Doc, I did a quick search of Marvin's for 1942 jeans and they were all more standard war era pairs, no cinches to be found.
Will keep y'all posted if I find out any more information on these. :ph34r:

There is some info in the vintage thread about the various cinch models made between 1937 and 1942. There's a lush pair from Palms buried in there somewhere too.

Just machine washed the 56’s. 
seen with unworn (soaked once) 51’s for comparison.

Thought it was a good example of the colour after some washing. Both 601xx fabric. 
pictures taken in natural (although dull) lighting - Unedited. 

IMG_2216.thumb.jpeg.cf7937428ce72918131900d19b4da845.jpeg

IMG_2217.thumb.jpeg.ed089c7113191887d89693825c9a1ef7.jpeg

IMG_2218.thumb.jpeg.c8a7c4d1112e7bd830da991ea79142b5.jpeg

truest colour is 2nd Pic

Edited by UkeNo