The Flat Head

LFC4ever

vincent, I think you should get bsps.

stick with flathead =)

+my friend has bsps and they are amazing, though I dont have much experience with samurai.

32 bsps will be really tight though. I'm sorta like you, not tight not loose 310s. 32 bsp was quite tight, 33 was comfortable enough.

hope it helps!

After looking at evo pics throughout this thread, the only really consistently well worn FHs were the ones that were totally beat to shit. And they look really good. It's a bit weird since every FH jean on SE's website is prefaced with "Intense vertical fading and after only twenty wears or so the dark denim gives way to a bright blue indigo fade.... We've never never seen contrast this intense form on denim from any other manufacturer before."

overstatement? Not saying its a bad thing- its nice to have a jean that holds its indigo. Just sayin' compared to IH, Samurai, Skulls, APC, RJB on this website, I'd have to disagree.

Hmm, I've gone through many of the evo pics as well and the denim seems to have a more natural looking aging pattern - the denim is nice in that it's never overtly contrasty. Most pairs I see look like they age nicely

It may just be me, but it seems like flatheads tend to have nice whiskers as well

After looking at evo pics throughout this thread, the only really consistently well worn FHs were the ones that were totally beat to shit. And they look really good. It's a bit weird since every FH jean on SE's website is prefaced with "Intense vertical fading and after only twenty wears or so the dark denim gives way to a bright blue indigo fade.... We've never never seen contrast this intense form on denim from any other manufacturer before."

overstatement? Not saying its a bad thing- its nice to have a jean that holds its indigo. Just sayin' compared to IH, Samurai, Skulls, APC, RJB on this website, I'd have to disagree.

Chubby i gotta disagree,

Having had APCS and having had friends with skulls IH and Flat heads, i would say that flat heads fade damn fast. I have had a bout 15 wears on my 1001s and the fading is insane for 15 wears. IHs fade slowly, ask any iron heart fan, the stubborn nature of iron hearts is part of the appeal. RJB is owned by TFH and they use the same dyeing process so fade speed is fairly similar in the long run. Flat Heads get a beautiful vintage fade because of the vertical fading which probably leads people to go for a less contrasty look. summary, flat heads fade fast, samurai is the only comprable brand in terms of fade speed but i am not a big fan of the way samurai's fade because they look unnaturally contrasty.

Chubby i gotta disagree,

I have had a bout 15 wears on my 1001s and the fading is insane for 15 wears. RJB is owned by TFH and they use the same dyeing process so fade speed is fairly similar in the long run.

RJB is owned by TFH- but RJB uses a totally different denim which TFH doesn't offer- a Zimbabwean cotton in a lighter weight (13.75).

15 wears, even if you are getting 'insane' fading, isn't nearly enough time to judge a denim's fading properties. (Also, how insane can your fades be after 2 weeks?)

My diors faded much faster than my BSPs, and diors are generally considered to fade slowly. I don't think Diors make a good reference point tho :-/

but yeah- anyone who has put some good time into FHs vs another brand want to chime in? Particularly the 3xxx denim? The heavier weight stuff (like in the SE collab from forever go) seems to fade better IMO.

PS A.Khan- so you have a pair of strike golds and 1001s in rotation now? very nice. That might be the perfect answer to my query in 6 months or so. I wish I had gone with 1001s over the BSPs if I could go back in time.

Hey guys sorry for this new question but I'm new to denim with a somewhat medium knowledge of raw denim, but I've finally made my choice down to Flat Head, Imperial, and Iron Heart.

I'm going to get Flat Heads at the SE store in SF, but the thing is I know these flatheads fade fast. I'm planning to wear it everyday except when I'm home, so probably one-third to half of the day they will be on, and even more on weekends. The question is, when do you guys think my Flat Head Straight Frontiers will fade by? I've heard it's indigo holds in well, but I'm not a rich guy and if these denim are faded and getting too light blue/looking done with fading before a year, I don't think it is for me because I'll have to be raising more money for another pair. I've surfed through pages, but I get diff results for diff amount of time, so yeah I'm going to wear it pretty hard I guess.

I know this is addressed plenty of times (and met with fierce opposition), but should I starch my FH310s? Worn for about.. a month now? The whiskers and honeycombs aren't staying in the same spot. \: These were presoaked like 5 times in boiling water to get ALL shrinkage out of the way (which is why I got these for so cheap) so there's no starch. I really hate this feeling. No fades yet.

Hey guys sorry for this new question but I'm new to denim with a somewhat medium knowledge of raw denim, but I've finally made my choice down to Flat Head, Imperial, and Iron Heart.

I'm going to get Flat Heads at the SE store in SF, but the thing is I know these flatheads fade fast. I'm planning to wear it everyday except when I'm home, so probably one-third to half of the day they will be on, and even more on weekends. The question is, when do you guys think my Flat Head Straight Frontiers will fade by? I've heard it's indigo holds in well, but I'm not a rich guy and if these denim are faded and getting too light blue/looking done with fading before a year, I don't think it is for me because I'll have to be raising more money for another pair. I've surfed through pages, but I get diff results for diff amount of time, so yeah I'm going to wear it pretty hard I guess.

While flatheads are typically bought for the fact that they fade and intense fades over a year is normally appreciated, remember that a looser fit will slow down the intensity of your fade especially in terms of whiskers. Furthermore when you say you're wearing them hard does that mean walking, biking, manual labor... all those factors matter. If you want your jeans to fade slowly it may be a better idea to look at iron hearts. Or if you want your jeans to fade incredibly slower try these

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=79&zenid=69b655b8200b6cfa05ca1648414329be

tripe works permanent indigo in a straight cut.

I know this is addressed plenty of times (and met with fierce opposition), but should I starch my FH310s? Worn for about.. a month now? The whiskers and honeycombs aren't staying in the same spot. \: These were presoaked like 5 times in boiling water to get ALL shrinkage out of the way (which is why I got these for so cheap) so there's no starch. I really hate this feeling. No fades yet.

I would save starching as a last resort, how do you store them and do you wear them daily. if you fold them over a hanger and let them hang like most people do with pants it may cause your creases to smooth out. Try wearing while damp (if you dont mind risking knee bags). if your not wearing them daily try wearing them daily and see what happens. If your really can get anything from them then maybe starch but i would still be against it, they wil eventually crease.

Chubby i gotta disagree,

Having had APCS and having had friends with skulls IH and Flat heads, i would say that flat heads fade damn fast. I have had a bout 15 wears on my 1001s and the fading is insane for 15 wears. IHs fade slowly, ask any iron heart fan, the stubborn nature of iron hearts is part of the appeal. RJB is owned by TFH and they use the same dyeing process so fade speed is fairly similar in the long run. Flat Heads get a beautiful vintage fade because of the vertical fading which probably leads people to go for a less contrasty look. summary, flat heads fade fast, samurai is the only comprable brand in terms of fade speed but i am not a big fan of the way samurai's fade because they look unnaturally contrasty.

Perhaps it's an individual thing. My FH350s have faded more slowly than my LVC 1915s, even though they're not as loose-fitting.

I also think its an individual thing... i just find it bit misleading when people say FH has lightning fast ability to fade.. i agree FH has more contrast fade since they started off very dark.. same as eternal..but not that you wear them for couple of months then they are faded already..

my Warehouse fades faster than my FH..take that inazuma a page back work for 17months and compare to Snake's 8-month old Warehouse in Warehouse thread..how can you compare those two?

.it all depends on the individual I guess when you are talking about how fast they fade...

FH has more contrast in fading but i dont agree they are fade fast...

does someone know if the amount of cuffs have any effect on the ripping?

been wearing my fh's like everyday for the past months and my cuffs are both ripped a bit already. cuffing like 5 times.

could it have to do with the fact that I haven't washed them in 4 months? or should i get them hemmed a bit to prevent further ripping at the fold of the cuff?

If you have to cuff them 5 times you definitely should hem them!

if you leave the cuffs all the time, the denim is very prone to rip on the cuffed part and forming lines. doesn't matter how many times you couff normally. but maybe it puts more stress on the denim the way you do it

so I assume you cuffed them right away after the inital soak/wash? then it it comes at no surprise to me. I always alternate between cuffs and stacks. regular soaking below the knee would have helped to soften the denim so it won't rip and break that fast. kinda late now ;)