The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Ah, the 7002W denim shirt, I've actually had it since January or so. It's great, it might be the best fit out of them all because the sleeves and hem are very long, the shoulders narrow, and the body skinny. People who aren't super-slim like me might want to be careful. The new 7002W-O is the same style but a little looser.

cuddlestheshee: Yes, I'm very tall and skinny, about 191 cm / 6'3" and 72 kg / 158 lbs. I wear a size 42 in FH shirts, which is their XL. My real chest measurement is about 37" or so but these feel perfect on me. FH western shirts taper a lot, so they can feel relaxed in the chest but not be saggy in the back. My shirts fit me about the same as Sidneylo's shirts on him, judging from his Self Edge product shots and WAYWT posts, so I think I have these sized correctly even though it seems like I should be wearing a size smaller. They don't all fit the same though, some have shorter sleeves or hems than others. The Glory Park westerns (like my green flannel from today's WAYWT) are the absolute best fit for me, IMO.

I used to have one FH work shirt in size 42 but it was too big, the shoulders and width were too wide. I suggest going on Japanese shops on Rakuten and checking the exact measurements for the shirt(s) you want.

Edited by Cold Summer

TTS or up one. The sizing on BSPs is weird, the upper thigh is always looser than it should be, so it's tough to estimate how it will fit around the knee. Mine are loose in the upper thigh, and tight in the lower thigh.

Tang: Something about the 5000-series denim is different, but even from reading FH's website I can't tell what it is. The only thing I can say for sure is that the 5000 denim is 14 oz. instead of the 3000's 14.5 oz., but according to 2ND's product descriptions it's still a slubby fabric like 3000 denim. It might be a looser weave or something that makes it a cooler fabric .

Edited by Cold Summer

I just had Good Morning America on and the hosts were interviewing Andrew Garfield (he played Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network). I'm pretty sure he was wearing the flathead jeans. Seems like celebrities are starting to like these.

serious? any pics kiya?

We don't take photos of celebrities that shop at our stores.

sizing on se05bsp? i'm wearing unbranded ub101s at the moment, waist was tight at first but perfect now. should i go true to size?

Size up one from your UB size.

I just had Good Morning America on and the hosts were interviewing Andrew Garfield (he played Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network). I'm pretty sure he was wearing the flathead jeans. Seems like celebrities are starting to like these.

NOT REASON TO STOP WEARING THEM, BUT , SHIT

who gives a fuck who wears flat head or any other brand glorified on superdenim?

as if a hollywood celebrity has any less of a right to wearing japanese reproduction workwear than some dude working a desk job. heaven forbid that someone famous has discerning taste for quality made garments.

We don't take photos of celebrities that shop at our stores.

What? No secret pervcams in the changing rooms?!

secret pervcams only in effect for regular customers.

also, peterparker wears flat head, so why shouldn't andrew garfield?

Edited by PeterParker

who gives a fuck who wears flat head or any other brand glorified on superdenim?

as if a hollywood celebrity has any less of a right to wearing japanese reproduction workwear than some dude working a desk job. heaven forbid that someone famous has discerning taste for quality made garments.

you know that isn't the problem.

the problem is the beckham effect, famous people wear them ( almost always because a stylist has put them in them) , the demand for the brand increases, the brand grows, outsources production and quickly goes down the shitter.

i.e.

evisu europe

Duffer of st. george

belstaff

filson

barbour

lvc

I'm not sure Flat Head will outsource production, but you've mentioned some good examples above.

What also happens is that the brands often introduce cheaper, diffusion lines and it seems that everyone is wearing the same brand and you may as well wear a pair of Diesels and a Superdry jacket!

I'm not sure Flat Head will outsource production, but you've mentioned some good examples above.

What also happens is that the brands often introduce cheaper, diffusion lines and it seems that everyone is wearing the same brand and you may as well wear a pair of Diesels and a Superdry jacket!

prices may also start to rise, even if production doesn't increase

it doesn't matter, celebs are never going to put in the wear

It seems like there are people here who have what seems like hundreds of jeans and can't put wear into them all. But they still have a love for denim, suddenly because it's a celeb they can't have a love for the denim?

flat head has earned its reputation with its attention to detail and quality. outsourcing production goes against the company's idealogy and appeal.

also, the branding of so many of these japanese brands is so subtle that brand recognition is of minor significance. Remember johnny depp's wardrobe of mister freedom, travis barker's iron heart ombre shirt, and j crew flirting with warehouse? I think your precious japanese denim brands are more resilient to hollywood influence than you give them credit for.

i would be more concerned about flat head's involvement with lesser brands, like naked and famous but again i don't think it has an adverse effect on flat head's products.

remember when it was cool that zack de la rocha wore flat head?

also, the branding of so many of these japanese brands is so subtle that brand recognition is of minor significance. Remember johnny depp's wardrobe of mister freedom, travis barker's iron heart ombre shirt, and j crew flirting with warehouse? I think your precious japanese denim brands are more resilient to hollywood influence than you give them credit for.

And don't forget Jay-z wearing Samurai

i remember, 1 time i went to BIG for a peek. there was a sea of w40s-up Samurai models scattered about for a buyer [/stylist?]... 'overheard, for a certain rap photo ops. that was the time Samurai came out with the "Elements".

imo, reality is, not a lot of peeps would be willing to shell out 300+ for each pair of raw jeans that seemed to look the same [for the uninitiated].

so, the idea of [most brands we came to love] going mainstream is somewhat highly unlikely.

unless, of course, the brand/maker itself make that decision to pursue a much wider market like Evisu.

Edited by BrownMetallic

i would be more concerned about flat head's involvement with lesser brands, like naked and famous but again i don't think it has an adverse effect on flat head's products.

why be concerned about a collab that was such a limited run? not hating at all, I've only seen people complaining about this run and not many complimenting it. I would really like to know why this is so bad.

Personally I knew the WG cut, which I like for a taper and I got flat head construction and denim. I really wanted some SE05BSP's but they cost more and my size has been off the Self Edge website for quite some time.

why be concerned about a collab that was such a limited run? not hating at all, I've only seen people complaining about this run and not many complimenting it. I would really like to know why this is so bad.

N&F focuses on affordable "entry level" raw denim available in modern cuts. Their denim is sourced from all over the place, and I do not believe the denim they use is milled specifically for them. Rather than producing a flagship denim, they are constantly pumping out funky fabrics. Construction is sturdy but lacks the meticulous attention to detail found on most repro brands. In case it is not apparent, these pracitices are all counter to Flat Head's production.

I've never been a fan of collaborations, but some do provide interesting possibilities (i.e. an exclusive denim, new cut, upgraded hardware/appointments). The N&F collab was straight up a Flat Head jean in a N&F cut. Nothing new or exciting there.

Like I said, there were no compromises in Flat Head's production as a result of the collab (that I am aware of), so I am not disturbed by it.