Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

OK, Foxy mentioned the OKI-815 to me... slowly putting the pieces together.

What's the connection between Kuniyoshi-san and SDA?

Kuniyoshi-san did the OKi-515 for them (as well the Take5 version of it) - part of the story was that OKI-515 being an Okinawa Special SDA had them actually produced (sewn) on Okinawa - Kuniyoshi-san operates out of Okinawa.

There were also rumors that Kuniyoshi-san might have worked for SDA prior to setting up his own operations...

Edited by Foxy2

Supposedly, more closer to a 101 - the OKI-815 is based on the 103...

i checked with BiG chart of both 101 and 103, my pair in 31 measures W:31  FR:10 3/4 Th:  12 1/4  LO: 8 1/4, much closer to 103 than 101 (according to BiG). 

Edited by DhaDha

I think the 102 is supposed to be looser than 101, but that's all I know.

Ed it's $400 for japanese natural indigo hank dyed by hand by a company like studio d'artisan... seems like a good deal? You could buy Iron Hearts for 400 that are much less interesting

now that i got the first taste of SDA i'm really tempted to try their 'normal' denim, especially when i heard they are hardy and slow fading and seeing Foxy's pictures above.  too bad DWC locks me into my pair for the next 21 months.

now that i got the first taste of SDA i'm really tempted to try their 'normal' denim, especially when i heard they are hardy and slow fading and seeing Foxy's pictures above. too bad DWC locks me into my pair for the next 21 months.

Do it. They do it the best whether it's their regular 14.5 or their crazy denim. My x's-33 have gone through more than any of my other pairs and have held up the best.

I've recently started wearing SDA 107 and they are rapidly becoming my favourite jeans. Really dark and crisp. Im not too concerned with mad fadez (Bro! ) so slow faders don't bother me, love how these are going though.

My D1677's size 34 arrived, but I haven't much spare time. They look just like all of the other pics posted. Mine are 16/120. Rather amazing, really. Raw they are not too stiff, not a ridiculous amount of starch. Weave is very loose and irregular, and I think with washing these will be soft. 

I did take measurements; 

RAW

waist: 33.5" 

front rise: 10.75" 

back rise: 14.25" 

thigh. 1" down: 12.5" 

knee, 14" down: 9.5" 

hem: 9" 

inseam: 36" 

I did try them on briefly, and these could be one of the best fitting pairs of jeans I've ever tried on. 

you know, i was kinda having an anxiety attack when i tried them on and they fit quite snugly around the waist. everything else is fine though. I'm thinking I'm going to have to stretch the waist quite excessively, and the rise might be a tad low when shrunk. i could have gone 32 but i don't think i would like the looser profile. these definitely run small. 

Foxy, how does this denim compare to, say, samurai OGSP or other hand dye ai pairs you have??

Here are some quick pre-soak measurements - I apologize for any mistakes in advance, it's late over here...

SDA D1677 W33 RAW

Waist - 43.5cm

Front Rise - 27cm

Back Rise - 36.5cm

Thighs - 33cm

Knees - 24cm

Leg Opening - 22cm

Inseam - 93cm

Was able to get them on and button them up - so, they went into the washing machine for a machine soak (no detergent, moderate temperature, low spin).

I might have to use the stretcher for the waistband afterwards.

The buttonholes felt tight - might be painful to button-up in the beginning. Back rise felt higher than with a103, but not by too much. Let's see how much shrinkage we get...