RESOLUTE by hayashi-san!

dawei69

I'm of the mentality that the fit should come first (unless you're going for the loose sort of anti fit thing, which is great, and then a cm here and there doesn't much matter).

But it's really no fun to size up for the thighs/top block and then have a waist that's sloppy...especially if you're looking to dress them up sometimes.

By measurements, the 714 would work for me, but they'd still cut it close and I've avoided them for that reason (that and I have enough). 

The idea of dressing them up or down is very likely just because you've seen them styled that way because of the preferences of Hayashi-san. They're blue jeans and like @yung_flynn said other brands will work just fine for this - it's more the fit and the minimal detailing that makes them suitable, not anything particular about Resolute. I'd start with your hopeful top block measurements for a given waist size and see where that gets you brand wise. Another brand that is often style more Ivy is Boncoura - their XX fit might work (not war model but still repro). 

I have to plug the Freewheelers '51 here also - it's pretty affordable from Japan, takes well to washing, and has a generous but still more refined silhouette. The stitching will last you longer than WH/Denime too, if that matters. They have a '47 too, but it sounds like the '51 might actually work better for what you want. 

Appreciate everyone's input here. A lot of valid points were brought up in terms of fitting/brands.

I'm holding off on the 714's. I did dive through the Denime thread and came across a few shops in Japan that still have some stock left. So I'll be double checking measurements and looking into the 220a. Those seem to hit the mark in terms of fit in regards to the top block and sizing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 3:36 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

OD = overdyed?
I'm not allowed to speak about it anyway :D 

Oo, I thought he just did the natural versions of the 710 and 711 for every five year anniversary... interesting...

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

And now it's official, the 15th anniversary denim will be:

Black x white 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7F-XNTvp7M/?igsh=MWthZXc2MnNjaWRwdA==

Are they black x white 714? I don’t see the coin pocket rivets in the photos but I might just be missing them

3 hours ago, yung_flynn said:

Same for me or I would definitely have bit on the black 714. Noticed the same thing about SC inseam too - almost too short for me

6,5 (197cm) buddy? @yung_flynn we should swap jeans hehe

Haha. Yeah I'm around 6'3" or probably really more like 6'4" if both my legs were the same length - my legs are a bit long for my body though since I have the same inseam as my 6'5" father-in-law. I have to wear a lot of jeans Hayashi-style regardless of choice (I need 32" to even hit mid-ankle), TCB being an exception

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mtvare said:

I like the look of the 711. The waist at 34 looks right but I'm scared by the low back rise. Has anyone on the bigger side (I'm 87kg 182cm with fairly big legs) made them work without sizing up so as to need a belt?

I'm 183cm/73kg and wear 32x32 for 711. I have faily long legs/high hips and the lower rise is still fine without a belt, as @beautiful_FrEaK said.

Some measurements to compare

711 34x32 (bought one-wash)
Waist: 34"
Front rise: 11"
Back rise: 14.5"
Thighs: 13"
Knee: 9.625"
Leg opening 8.5"
Inseam 30.5"

711 34x36 (bought raw, hemmed at PSA, probably have shrunk more but didn't measure)
Waist: 34"
Front rise: 11.125"
Back rise: 15"
Thighs: 13"
Knee: 9.8"
Leg opening 8.7"
Inseam 31.6"

714 34x34 (bought one-wash)
Waist: 33.85"
Front rise: 12.2"
Back rise: 15.35"
Thighs: 13,2"
Knee: 9.45"
Leg opening 8.45"
Inseam 32.5"

@beautiful_FrEaK Out of curiosity, what is your personal preference (historical accuracy aside) between your Resolute pairs and their relatively similar cuts in the new Denime by Warehouse. For example, do you prefer Resolute 714, 711, or Denime 220a for a wider 40's/50's cut? Do you prefer the Resolute 710 or Denime 221 or 224 for a slimmer more tapered 60's/70's pair? @blooming I think that you have most of these too.

I thought about including some of the older Denime models (e.g, classic XX, 66xx, Kyoto) but feel like that would be scope creep and a more difficult apples-to-apples comparison. 

The Resolute 714 is probably the best fit they make for my frame. So it's my favourite cut by Resolute.

But I liked the Denime 220 more than i thought I would. They have a higher rise than I usually prefer but it felt nevertheless just right. 

In terms of 60s cut I prefer the Resolute 710 but only because I didn't wear the 221 yet and the 224 was surprisingly tight in the crotch. Tried the 224 on yesterday and they felt better but I didn't sit down in them 😅

I think the 710 is the best cut out of the 60s style. 221 is kinda weird and I don't really love it on me. 224 is nice but as @beautiful_FrEaK stated, they have slightly weird proportions in the top block. 710 is just comfy all around and multiple sizes fit me correctly in different ways. Clear winner.

If I had to pick an overall favorite out of the current Resolute/Denime offerings, 220 gets my vote for best fabric and best fit.

Thanks to both of you! 

8 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The Resolute 714 is probably the best fit they make for my frame. So it's my favourite cut by Resolute.

I kind of figure that this would be the case for me as well since I have relatively large thighs and build for my waist size. I am a little concerned about the 710 rise and thighs on me, although I like the simplicity of the model and brand. The 220a rise actually would probably suit my frame pretty well and not be that large at my size and height and I like the denim based on the 232 jacket.

I'm not necessarily looking or needing to buy any of them just yet, but I've considered all of those 3 (710, 714, and 220a) off-and-on for a bit. I'm in no rush at all and probably will at least wait to see what the new Denime XX and ring-spun series are like, before deciding if I want to buy any of them at all.

I have the Resolute 714 and Warehouse 1001XX brand new in storage. I also picked up the 220A from Denime and without a doubt, Denime is the nicer of the three, with the Warehouse next and Resolute last. Not to say 714 aren't good or anything but they have a way shallower rise (particularly the back) which makes them more of a "low-rise" jean. The 220A is on another level entirely. The Warehouse (and FC 1101W come to think of it, also in storage) fit closer to the Denime compared to the 714. With what I know now, if I were looking for any of those, I'd pull the trigger on the 220A with out hesitation.

Edited by reallypeacedoff

Of the jeans you (yung_flynn) mention, I have the Resolute 710 and 714 and Denime 220a and 221, all in size 36.  Though they fit differently, the 714 and 220a are my favorites, followed by the 221 and 710.

I find the Resolute 710 almost unwearable, due to its trimness through the hips and thighs (anyone need a pair?).  In contrast, the 714 looks great and is very comfortable, despite a lower rise than I typically like.  I also love the fact that Resolute lets you choose the inseam that works best -- one of the few makers where you don't need to worry about hemming.

The Denime 220a has a higher rise than either Resolute and is great -- roomy, but only where necessary.  The 221 fits more like a pair of '60s Levis, for better or worse -- hanging down on my hips and dropping straight from there.