kiya

Real Japan Blues - Jeans & Shirts...

Those are looking awesome. Seeing some pics of this denim taken in the same way as your FH 3005, you can really see the differences between the too.

The RJB Zimbabwe fades to a pale powdery blue color with a grainy variation that's different from the 3005 denim that's more of a bright aquamarine sort of fade. Both of these seem quite distinct from the grayish fade of a lot of repro brands' denim. I've noticed that pre-war vintage jeans seem to have a more aquamarine sort of fade in some cases. If I recall correctly, Kobayashi was aiming for the dyeing techniques of this era, so it'd make sense.

Thanks guys! I washed them a decent amount. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you really how frequently it was because it was more irregular, but I'm sure more frequent than once a month. As usual, flat head and rjb denim responds very well to frequent washing!

The main thing that I love about FH/RJB denim are the super bold streaks. I find that very unique compared to all denim brands, bold but not quite so ridiculous that it looks over-engineered.

I’ll have to get some pics up of my 105 from back in 2013. I cannot believe it’s been 5 years. Holy shit. Anyway, I had them tapered a bit from the knee down by railcar, and lost a few pounds so I had them back in rotation last winter. Evo seems about where yours are, Ben. Nice work btw. 

Edit: pics added

zO5Iv93.jpgQuN4d6y.jpgI1NccNZ.jpg8DPUD24.jpg

Edited by SuperJackle

Holy shit, I really thought those were my jeans. Crazy how similar the whiskers are and the overall look. Those look great!

10 minutes ago, itsbenhere said:

Holy shit, I really thought those were my jeans. Crazy how similar the whiskers are and the overall look. Those look great!

Mini contest this fall? Haha you’d win for sure. So damn hard for me to stick to one pair. Took me five years to get this far :D

On 12/30/2018 at 6:49 PM, FeloniousMonk said:

Right around a year of wear, and they keep lightening up more and more. The indigo seems to be falling off faster in the past couple weeks, so maybe they'll be up for semi-retirement before too long. The new RJB denim really is gorgeous, I especially love how the white-blue areas look on the extra worn sections at the knees and wallet.

rWyKwxi.jpg

OHdvLwS.jpg

HguI7g9.jpg

Yl9EEHD.jpg

How many washes?

@1fookntitefd

Probably around 10 washes, maybe a little more. I tend to wash the jeans I’m wearing heavily every one or two months.

With the RJB jeans, I didn’t like washing them too much early on because the vertical falling is so extreme. Each early wash would bring out some light streaks in random parts of the otherwise dark denim, rather than emphasizing the worn-in areas. These jeans have kind of an awkward adolescence.

Now that they’re somewhat faded all over, each wash just helps bring out new texture and lighter colors.

Thanks! I recently bought a pair too so I'm excited after seeing the potential. Surprised that they are still so high contrast given all the washes

My jeans tend to end up pretty high contrast no matter what - I’m not sure why really. If anything, I’d prefer to get them a little more washed-out and light blue all over at this point, so the washing schedule will probably get more frequent.