Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

Im thinking of buying a pair of ande whalls but I have problems with the sizing. If I measure my true waist I get like 36 inches. On all of my other denim my waistsize is 32-33. I think its weird to order waistsize 36. Can someone give me some help please?

I too have a very "weird" waist size. If I measure my true waist (2" below naval) I get a massive 37". But (the best way to measure your jeans) is pick the best fitting pair you own, button them up and lay them on a flat surface. Align the waist band and measure from one side to the other without slack. This measurement for me is ~17.25". So that makes my waist ~34.5".

So if I were looking at buying the Raker, I know (from what Ande has said on his sizing guide) that the denim shrinks ~0.5" and stretches ~1.5" so I would buy a Tagged 33 > 32.5 (shrink) > 34 (stretch) for a tighter fit or I'd buy a Tagged 34 for a looser fit.

I have always done it this way and have never had to return a pair of jeans because of wrong size. Granted if you are in between sizes, you could either Size Down One (SDO) or Size Up One (SUO) depending on what fit your going for but for crying out loud, measure you thighs first as this is the measurement most people forget about and then have to send them back or sell on Supermarket, losing all sorts of money.

For reference I am 31 in APC NS, PS and 32 in NC. 32 in Nudie. 33 TFH, 33 IH, 33 Skull, 34 Eternal, 33 Imperial etc

Check this LINK on how to measure your jeans.

Hope that helps

PS since your a 32 in Skull and 31 in Nudie, sounds like you'd buy a Tagged 32 in whatever you are looking for on Ande's site.

Just got new 15.5 Oz black denim today. My waist is around 34.5" and I wear Grifter 34x34 and they fit snug in the waist. Really like the fitting of the Grifter and details that Ande put in each part of the jeans. Love these 'All Black' jeans. Thanks Ande.

dsc0027pg.jpg

dsc002801.jpg

dsc0029av.jpg

dsc0031a0.jpg

dsc0034oj.jpg

dsc0037vj.jpg

dsc0038ei.jpg

dsc0044xs.jpg

he did for a while, not sure why he stopped. his rolled hems produce a similar effect, don't let something as simple as chainstitching stop you from buying a true artisan product. ande's about innovation as much as he is about a quality product. his seams and stitching are testament to that.

Ande's chainstitcher broke. Simple as that I'm afraid. This is the problem when you're using vintage machinery, it doesn't last forever

I am wondering if I should bother repairing my Grifters again?

They are about 2 1/2 years old, and have had numerous crotch and knee repairs already. Recently a huge rip has opened up on the right knee and a smaller hole on the left knee (which is bound to spread sooner or later).

They are semi-retired and now I mostly wear my Slackers, so should I bother getting these repaired at SENY again? Or should I just let them get super ripped and not worry about it?

ojaxo3

• 2 weeks later...
i actually could have gone with a size down. my true waist size is a 34 but i got a 36 in ande's since on his site he said he measures the exact length not like some other brands that are marked 2" down from their actual measurement. I wish i had bought a 35 since the 36 stretched a little too much and these jeans don't look good if they sag :/ but a belt fixes that.

you misread the instructions... his jeans are TTS, meaning a 34 is 34" and a 36 is 36".