Ooe-Yofukuten & Co.

The xx4 denim in my 01’s is soft, but not more than FC’s. It also has formed creases quite well and held them - actually more than almost anything I’ve worn in recent years. Not that I’m usually wearing stuff known for that. I’m probably just at about 2-3 months of total wear on them and only ever did the initial hot soak and hand wash with a good bit of hand agitation. We’ll see what the second wash does, we’re not there yet. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Broark said:

@beautiful_FrEaK how did you wash your pair? And how many washes so far?
I've only done the initial wash via OA's suggested process (warm bath soak, cold gentle wash) and I'm finding the denim to be a little rigid still after a couple of months.

Also, it looks like OA will be releasing the vest that they had for sale two Inspirations ago, this time in a 10 oz. denim inspired by Amoskeag Mills (produced by Collect).
I think a few people here might have the Cone version, @CSL and anyone else? Interested in your thoughts on it after some time as well as any pictures if it's showing wear.
Never been a vest guy, but seeing them wear it it looks pretty cool and functional.

I've worn the denim vest quite a bit. I have it in the largest size they offered. I also bought the duck vest one size down (Hiro's opinion was that it was too small but after examining the test photo from Inspiration I liked the look so I got it after the fact from S&S). That light weight kind of denim doesn't seem to show wear very fast. I'll examine it tonight & see if it's worth photographing. 

As far as practicality goes, it will hold a bunch of stuff especially if sizing up for a loose fit. Pockets everywhere including the internal game pockets. I've considered trying put one of the terriers in there. Might have a go tonight lol.

Update - dog didn't quite fit...

Me Snowy vest May 28 2024 IMG_1362.jpg

Edited by CSL
Add a photo

Anyone pre ordering the vest? It’s a cool piece but I don’t think I could pull it Off. 

Not here. Vests in general hold little interest to me. There's a dividing line somewhere in the workwear spectrum that is hard for me to define, but I know that when something is on the other side of it, it's not for me. Even if I liked vests, this would fall on the other side of that line. Kudos to anyone who rocks it though. 

I’m with you on vests, just a line that I can’t seem to cross. So I’ll be passing as well.
And you know if I really wanted to try a vest I probably would’ve already gotten several from FW. :laugh:

This one's too utilitarian for me—or rather, I guess, too utilitarian while having a strong focus on small game hunting, which is not at all relevant to me. In particular, the way that the cut balloons out so much towards the bottom makes a lot of sense from the perspective of wanting to fill up all of the pockets, but makes a lot less practical sense from the perspective of just wanting a vest to wear around for fun and not look too silly in the process.

Yeah, I think the thing with styling a vest like that is to not work it into a "heritage" or "workwear" style. I think it would look great with an oversized military fatigue or cargo paired with sneakers. Paired with denim and/or boots, it will certainly look too folksy for my taste. I would also love to see it with something like the Good Ol' What's-Her-Face Freedom Flight Trouser or some sort of linen trouser and then a lug-soled moc from your choice of brand or a loafer. It's really just a matter of styling it outside of its origins and it will look super cool.

Once the vest arrives I’ll down a few Babychams, ‘tidy up downstairs’, don aforementioned clobber and get Mrs F clicking away with the saucy Polaroid snaps.

16 hours ago, Jared_Lee said:

Yeah, I think the thing with styling a vest like that is to not work it into a "heritage" or "workwear" style. I think it would look great with an oversized military fatigue or cargo paired with sneakers. Paired with denim and/or boots, it will certainly look too folksy for my taste. I would also love to see it with something like the Good Ol' What's-Her-Face Freedom Flight Trouser or some sort of linen trouser and then a lug-soled moc from your choice of brand or a loafer. It's really just a matter of styling it outside of its origins and it will look super cool.

thanks for the vote of confidence @julian-wolf! Jared's advice above is pretty much how I wear my post overalls vest that has the nearest dimensions (but is a lightweight material); they go weirdly well with cut off military cargos / shorts (or oversized Nigel Cabourn) and logo t-shirt more than 'heritage' / 'rugged' stylistic agenda... This upcoming Ooe offering is fairly heavy material? The downwards bellow of the style is pretty equivalent to a chore coat but without the balance of the sleeves and collar: it has to be balanced by something else... The half-moon pockets are absolutely design grail for me, but is not something that pairs easy with a Canadian tux...

am currently looking over recent-ish filson vests (80s/90s) too; has the half-moon on one side, with less bounce at the bottom, and pockets for days... but these def. lean away from elegance into something more blocky and very much pointing to external wear, not desk warrior...

image.thumb.png.047dfc13628e338cc11ca7d8c8537110.png

image.thumb.png.eb599bc74ee3a8f2716b04b7d709b106.png

image.thumb.png.29142e5c202ae6bf8e71e13f3d23c585.png 

also quite a fan of this one from Soundman...

image.thumb.png.ecb0881bf8c17ddc2631a9fb64b30307.png

As far as vests go. I too am in the more modern vest camp like @bartlebyyphonics some end up looking too much like a costume. I like vests for working my blue collar job. So the Filson hits all the boxes and can hold my tools, markers, etc.   

The OOE is cool but honestly I think looks best raw/new. I don’t think I’d like it as much after its faded. 

Living out in the country, I feel ok about owning some garments that combine practicality & vintage vibe, while not necessarily being the most flattering cuts. I consider the Ooe vests to be in that category. There are a lot of items in my closet that never make it further than our acreage & the road that surrounds it. That's ok. They probably get more hours of solid wear than the 'playing a show' / 'going out to somewhere, trying to look cool' pieces. 
I do have a pretty large vest section in my closet. Some are right for wearing out. There's a nice Rising Sun piece that combines the half moon pockets with an old west vibe. And a Mr Freedom vest that goes with a pair of pants in the same fabric. I have some FW vests too, all of which are great. I've been an avid collector. Apparently it's in my nature...

5 hours ago, CSL said:

Living out in the country, I feel ok about owning some garments that combine practicality & vintage vibe, while not necessarily being the most flattering cuts. I consider the Ooe vests to be in that category. There are a lot of items in my closet that never make it further than our acreage & the road that surrounds it. That's ok. They probably get more hours of solid wear than the 'playing a show' / 'going out to somewhere, trying to look cool' pieces. 
I do have a pretty large vest section in my closet. Some are right for wearing out. There's a nice Rising Sun piece that combines the half moon pockets with an old west vibe. And a Mr Freedom vest that goes with a pair of pants in the same fabric. I have some FW vests too, all of which are great. I've been an avid collector. Apparently it's in my nature...

Not a vest person, but I resonate with the practicality approach. I’ve been considering the FW Ironalls jacket/chore coat solely for “yard work”. Those big pockets at the hem would be great for pruning shears and other small tools. 

Indeed, fabes. A FW chore coat is a winner in my book.

@CSL got to say you rock them vests (waistcoats) really well... always good to see you wearing them... whatever the setting... and the link between the country and utilitarian value chimes well... now I think about it... is there a 'show us your vests' thread in here somewhere??? 

20 hours ago, MJF9 said:

@CSL got to say you rock them vests (waistcoats) really well... always good to see you wearing them... whatever the setting... and the link between the country and utilitarian value chimes well... now I think about it... is there a 'show us your vests' thread in here somewhere??? 

Thanks, MJF9!!

On 4/24/2024 at 5:02 AM, Broark said:

@beautiful_FrEaK yes they made a type 2, it was several years ago now (the post I found was from 2017).
I think they made it for one of their Japanese retailers Commono Reproducts (which seems like is no longer in business), not many were available.
Would love if they made a traditional type 1 / 2 someday.
Some more photos here: http://livininparis.com/2017/03/23/ooe-yofukuten-co/
yRMS6GE.jpeg
uL3hBGJ.jpeg

Recently gambled and lost on one of these at size 38, though I suspected as much I had to try, they’re so tough to track down.

They’re beautiful jackets, and I’ve got one that’s just barely worn and just too small in the shoulders for me, and has relatively small arm holes for a type 2. The denim is stiffer and courser than their recent jeans.

Because of the pattern it’s realistically more like a 36, so if anyone is that size and interested drop me a line. It’s about a size too small for me and a size too big for my wife.

I’ll eventually list it if I can’t find someone I know will appreciate for it to go to. 

Meanwhile I’ll go back to hoping one day they will do this again! 

Small update on my 03s, a little over three months of wear so far.
Aiming for a little more contrast, at least initially. Will likely wear them another month or so before washing.
SHlEgXD.jpeg
L6filXa.jpeg
OhBgM4k.jpeg
37DJSkU.jpeg
MONARDy.jpeg

@beautiful_FrEaK yup pretty stubborn, three months total being the main pair that I’ve been wearing. I’ll throw a different pair into the mix every now and then, but that’s been infrequent. So maybe realistically two months of actual wear.

I just washed my 01’s - no idea the amount of wear, but it’s got to be close to 3 months (I first wore them over a year ago). I thought some fades would show more than they did because the creases were really, really set. Nothing much to show right now though. A tiny bit of whiskering, the coin pocket fade is the most visible. I think some creases will move due to more shrinkage? Ultimately this pair is going to get washed a lot, my preference these days, so it’s all good. 

But yes, it seems a little stubborn. 

16 hours ago, Broark said:

Small update on my 03s, a little over three months of wear so far.
Aiming for a little more contrast, at least initially. Will likely wear them another month or so before washing.
SHlEgXD.jpeg
L6filXa.jpeg
OhBgM4k.jpeg
37DJSkU.jpeg
MONARDy.jpeg

thx for sharing! may i know if the fabric is soft ? thanks~

8 minutes ago, tchengaa said:

thx for sharing! may i know if the fabric is soft ? thanks~

The fabric is pretty soft, however it still does feel like it has a little starch left in it.

• 2 weeks later...