Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Guest devil.beside.you
it shouldnt get blue everywhere unless your sitting on white couches and rubbing vigorously.

and btw, how is the difference in fading from hawaiis and okinawas?? hawaiis are more streaky than okinawas?? thats what ive seen from pics. anything else??

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's streakier. As you know, the difference between the two jeans is the origin of the indigo used - the Hawaiis have a more blueish green tint to them I find ..i see similarities to a good ol pair of greencast evisus...(tho not exactly the same) with a dirty sandybrown kind of weft peeking through. My Okis have a more traditional indigo color to it so far...but then again i've had my hawaiis for a year + and my okinawas for only 2 months, so I can't give you the best comparison from primary sources...but I think, judging from okis I've seen, you probably won't get that blueish green tint. in the end, you'll end up with two very unique blueish hues, distinct in their own respect

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's streakier. As you know, the difference between the two jeans is the origin of the indigo used - the Hawaiis have a more blueish green tint to them I find ..i see similarities to a good ol pair of greencast evisus...(tho not exactly the same) with a dirty sandybrown kind of weft peeking through. My Okis have a more traditional indigo color to it so far...but then again i've had my hawaiis for a year + and my okinawas for only 2 months, so I can't give you the best comparison from primary sources...but I think, judging from okis I've seen, you probably won't get that blueish green tint. in the end, you'll end up with two very unique blueish hues, distinct in their own respect

ok , thanks for the info, and also another question: why does everyone seem to be wearing okinawas instead of hawaii's?? ive noticed way more oki's the past few months in this thread than hawaiis.

Guest devil.beside.you
ok , thanks for the info, and also another question: why does everyone seem to be wearing okinawas instead of hawaii's?? ive noticed way more oki's the past few months in this thread than hawaiis.

That's a question that I doubt anyone can accurately answer, but if I had to venture a guess it would be due to a natural tendency to choose what is japanese (after all, selvedge has come to be associated with japanese) and also because of the darker indigo color. Not that hawaii's are japanese at all, but compared to another similar cut called 'okinawa?" =P I only chose my okis because they are special edition with the rainbow weft - I woudln't get the normal okinawas..I don't like how the back pocket is coming from the top right. I think coming from the bottom right looks much nicer - its a small detail, but one that makes a difference. As for the hawaii's, I think the color is much more interesting than the okinawas, as is the horse hide patch. The pocket design is ok, but again - I'd have to say it's not as popular for the whole japanese thing

^^ I'm skeptical. I chose the okis over the hawaiis because I wanted a redcast jean, and because they are lht. the hawaiis are greencast and rht.

k thats another thing. what is the difference, in terms of fading is lht and rht. im guessing lht jeans have more vertical fading??

btw thanks for the pics, cheep

Hawaii denim

370 days:

3196741877_2711447fd4.jpg

Okinawa denim

370 days:

3197586526_7a333594d2.jpg

All these on my Mister Freedom Sugar Cane 7161's, full evolution here

You can see they both have quite a lot of verticle falling, but the oki denim has way more. The hawaii denim gets this really unique, washed out, kind of splotchy fade.

Guest devil.beside.you
I decided to take some pics of my Hawaii's since Hawaii fading properties seem to be a topic of interest at the moment. These have about 8 months of on and off wear.

DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

like the hawaiin surf crashing against the shore...beautiful wavy fading properties. congrats! wonderful pair of hawaiis

^^ WOW , love those hawaiis! are those pics natural light?? those green/blue hues are captivating..

next pair of jeans: leaning to hawaiis instead of okis

Guest devil.beside.you

yea hawaii's are nice hendodo...you can only really appreciate them in person. The color of the indigo when you get them is unbelievable too! The smell of the sugarcane goes perfectly with a warm day...really kinda cool beach jean

Yeah, that's why there is a bit of overexposure with the walls. I shot them in a room with a big picture window so it was a little difficult to expose with all the natural light and white walls around.

They look brilliant. I always preferred FHs and IHs to SCs, but yours are encouraging me to drop money on Hawaiis.

one wash or raw ?

one wash

you should expect jealousy from many others. Nice score.

What you should do on the other hand is post fit pics.

haha thanks. I was happy I usually dont find good deals.

IMG_0095-1.jpg

Thats when I just got them out of the mail. Will post real fit pics when I get a camera other than the iphone.

wear them.

EDIT

First time wearing them last night to a little get together, i had a dip in and spilled my spitter on them :(

Sugar Cane Recycled Denim Sweet Jeans

In conventional jean production the excess fabric from the cutting room is discarded, Sugar Cane has taken this fabric and macerated it and spun it back into yard which is then used to produce the denim.

The recycled yarn is used as the weft (fill) thread while the warp is unused pure indigo dyed 50/50 (sugarcane/cotton) blend yarn.

The aging on these jeans is sure to be phenomenal, the denim in it's raw state is something that's new to us, a deep dark indigo color with some slub, but under bright light you can tell the weft threads are definitely different than your usual indigo denim.

These are extremely limited in production and only available at Self Edge outside of Japan. They are only produced in even sizes and once sold out there will be no restocks.

Check the online store for hi-res photos and a full spec list:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=429

sugarcane_recycled_01_web-749248.jpg

sugarcane_recycled_02_web-749187.jpg

sugarcane_recycled_03_web-714191.jpg

sugarcane_recycled_04_web-714130.jpg

sugarcane_recycled_05_web-777258.jpg

sugarcane_recycled_06_web-777201.jpg

320 dollars for "recycled" in these current times.........

I'm assuming its a difficult process. Probably a decent amount of time and labor in creating the recycled weft.

It sounds like an amazing pair of jeans. You could almost consider the weft dyed because its partially indigo.

The only negative is seeing the price tag after you see the words RECYCLED. And I'm not a cheap guy at all. I instantly thought, "Wow, TOYO must be laughing all the way to the bank". They give us scraps turned into beautiful denim and we pay them just a little bit more? Of course that's forgetting that the scarp weft costs more (assumed).