Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I just ordered a pair of the 2009 47 Type II Sugar Canes on Rakuten. I found them in size 34 (one wash), from Rogues, Co. Ltd.

I have the Okinawa as well which are my favorite pair of denim. The 47 is a great comfortable fabric and has stretched in the thigh as I hoped. They are simple and well priced denim for the quality and would fit someone with "athletic" legs just fine. I noticed the front pockets are easily accessible compared to other brands I've owned (TFH 2009, Momo 0901, Eternal 811).

The Okinawa does have a lot more attention to detail. For example it has cool front and rear pockets. The rear is lined with koi fish images. The Okinawa for me, is still a better over all pair of denim, but for the price, the 2009 47 is spectacular. 

I'll put some pics up of each soon.

Edited by Zekdafied

So do the okinawas get soft after a long time of wear? I have a 50% cotton 50% sugarcane fiber pair of custom made and they were so itchy I couldn't get through the break in process. (I tried to search this thread, read 20 pages but didn't find it)

I got my '47 raws today, it was great to soak the denim for the first time and wear it right after. Jean Shop Ave also included packets of Sugar Cane detergent! I put my other pair of 47s up in the closet to retire until the end of my next bulk cycle. 

Edited by ColdsnapBryan

I'll join the 1947 circle-jerk for a moment: they are my favorite jeans, period. The cut is perfect and the denim is beautiful, new or old. I also like to wash my jeans fairly frequently, so the fact that they hold their indigo quite well is an additional bonus. I'd buy several more pairs if they used the 66, 55, and 2009/13 fabrics on that cut--alas!

Edited by jstavrin

Some SC2009 pics here. I got the pair last year in take 5 and used it a good 4 months before relegating it as my 'dirty pair' for pistol classes and plinking in the range. The denim is nice but a little on the thin side. These were washed 3 times i think plus the initial warm soak.  Phone cam pics:

Front

IMG_20140216_073825_zps903a921f.jpg

Back

IMG_20140216_073855_zps7473bfa0.jpg

roping

IMG_20140216_073830_zps3a829fbf.jpg

Apologies if this has been asked recently, but does anyone know if selfedge is going to do another sc collab? It seems pretty incredible.

Sexsc06, not the jungle cloth one(which also looks pretty damn legit).

Edited by SuperJackle

At my size, the 2009/Okinawa/Hawaii are almost the same up top, and it's really not that tapered at all below. Just stacked them on top of each other and the 2009 is only 1cm slimmer through the legs and the waist is actually half an inch larger. The SE measurements were not my experience.

The waist on the 2009 will be a little bigger per size than 1947 and Okinawa/Hawaii.  The rise on the 2009 is lower by a meaningful amount and there is significantly less room through the hips and seat.  The waist on the 1947 also has a significant taper from the hips, so it tends to work well for people that have larger hips/thighs/ass relative to their waist.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'll join the family ! Bought the SC2009 from selfedge... Looking forward seeing this denim. 12oz sounds promising and perfect for the summer heat in the south of France :)

I'll post pics to share my enthusiasm :)

Looking at some Sugar Cane Hawaiis. I wear a size 32 in most loose cut models from repro brands - Warehouse Warren/1001/700, SDA 101, LVC 55, Momo 0901, Skull 5000 and a 31 in SDA 001, Full Count 0105 and Ande Whall Buffalo. My true waist is around 33.

Would a 33 be the best bet for Hawaiis as I've heard they run small? Anyone with experience of them compared to other brands?

I wear the Warehouse 1001 in 31, Full Count 0105 in 30 and preferred a 32 in the Hawaii. I just got both a 31 and 32 Sugar Cane Hawaii delivered on Friday and opted to sell the 31.