Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I think Artist is using the sc40400 and the lower end sc40401 denim at the moment - both RHT, one is pure natural indigo, the other a mix.

I found it strange initially, as I would have thought Sugar Cane would have had an agreement with Nihon Menpu for the distribution of the sugar cane millet mix denims to other brands.

But meh, not complaining...if Sugar Cane ain't going to step up their game with the Satobiki line, it's their loss.

Guest Seanpsk
I think Artist is using the sc40400 and the lower end sc40401 denim at the moment - both RHT, one is pure natural indigo, the other a mix.

I found it strange initially, as I would have thought Sugar Cane would have had an agreement with Nihon Menpu for the distribution of the sugar cane millet mix denims to other brands.

But meh, not complaining...if Sugar Cane ain't going to step up their game with the Satobiki line, it's their loss.

artist is using the sc40400 denim.....and they only go for 170bucks which is like half the price

artist is using the sc40400 denim.....and they only go for 170bucks which is like half the price

I'm sure the production on the jeans is just as good as what Toyo does too...right?

Guest Seanpsk
I'm sure the production on the jeans is just as good as what Toyo does too...right?

yeap...my friend owns a pair and i must say details and construction wise is very good..... plus the owner just bought a union special recently...and if im not wrong the straight cut and regular cut is gonna be released soon

Mikecch, you are correct. I would have thought the same thing, but then Gun popped up with the 40400 denim and my jaw dropped. So let's just think for a moment......if he has access to the 40400 denim that Nihon Menpu makes, could he possibly procure other types of denim from them that Sugar Cane once or presently use.

He is going to use the sc40401 as well, for jackets me thinks.

I think Gun has had some tailoring/construction problems with his jeans-making team lately, had to change a couple of times according to his thread on SF.

I don't know whether his Thailand makers can do what Toyo's factories in Japan does...not being Nihon-centric or anything, but traditionally attention to details and sublime craftsmanship is what makes Japanese denim, well, Japanese denim.

Whether artist denim can do as good a job (or maybe better) than Toyo - I guess we'll wait and see.

Artist is still a very young brand right now - I mean, first he's got to sort his cuts out.

Mikecch, you are correct. I would have thought the same thing, but then Gun popped up with the 40400 denim and my jaw dropped. So let's just think for a moment......if he has access to the 40400 denim that Nihon Menpu makes, could he possibly procure other types of denim from them that Sugar Cane once or presently use.

He's also had the 40500 too, but not in production quantities.

yes it will be 8.5 and 9.5

tailor is now fixing the pattern.

and shiro, I plan on doing denim jacket afterward, will use nihon menpu hand dye green selvedge, 40401, Hawaii denim, check my blog artistdenim.wordpress.com I have pics of the actual denim there:)

that is from about a week ago in the artist denim thread.

Yep, so the 40401 is a much cheaper fabric AFAIK compared to the 40400.

I think the natural to pure indigo ratio is something like 1:9, can't remember.

The fabric itself is also different, the slubbiness and variations is much more pronounced within the 40400 denim...not sure if there's any difference in the cotton mix.

The 40401 fades much quicker and in a more contrasting way though, AFAIK it's rope dyed as opposed to hank dyed to the core.

I have owned 2 pairs of SC (Edo Ai and 47s) are the constructions are impeccable on those,and they are already very reasonably priced jeans (at least in Japan). Frankly with Artist Denim's tailor problems it must be really tough to find someone in Thailand who can match the attention to details of the Japanese. I am a bit wary of jumping on the first shipment of the new straight cut because it's quite possible that the jeans would have some defects detail wise.

On a side note, I am selling my 47s, please check my sig

Guest Seanpsk
Yep, so the 40401 is a much cheaper fabric AFAIK compared to the 40400.

I think the natural to pure indigo ratio is something like 1:9, can't remember.

The fabric itself is also different, the slubbiness and variations is much more pronounced within the 40400 denim...not sure if there's any difference in the cotton mix.

The 40401 fades much quicker and in a more contrasting way though, AFAIK it's rope dyed as opposed to hank dyed to the core.

hmmm interesting i would be looking forward to the jackets though....one question, why does hand-dyed jeans take longer and harder to fade? iirc the sc40400 was made to last longer right and to keep its color rite?

hmmm interesting i would be looking forward to the jackets though....one question, why does hand-dyed jeans take longer and harder to fade? iirc the sc40400 was made to last longer right and to keep its color rite?

It's dyed to the core, as opposed to rope dyeing where the majority of the indigo sits at or very close to the surface.

I think the point of natural indigo is to appreciate how the colour and tone changes in different conditions and as the denim ages...not exactly how fast or contrasting you can get fadez.

yeah, im not paying 324 before shipping for them... thats just too much. the last pair i had i paid like 75 for off of here... then gave em to mizanation for letting me stay at his place in NY for the weekend. beatle has the other pair i had... my first japanese jeans that chicken picked up for me when he was in japan...