Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Look good mate, I've seen much more hip flare elsewhere. I find things always look more pronounced when you're wearing them & looking down. Probably won't be noticeable when they settle down. 

Hoggreaser - I had exactly the same with an old pair of 67 505s. They seemed to rise up about an extra two inches just next to the paper patch for no reason. If I tucked a shirt in it looked really odd.

@mpukas

If you have a waist-stretcher or something to control the shrinkage for the waist you could try to keep and soak them.

(Partial soaking is just delaying the inevitable...)

If not, there 2 options worth considering:

- returning/selling it & sizing one-up

- returning/selling it and turning your attention to other models/cuts, in case you decide that this model & denim in this lot is not for you.

BTW: What is the actual waist measurement like? (Raw/unsoaked)

@foxy - I posted the measurements before the pics. 

Waist (raw, unworn): 31.0 

Waist (raw, worn for an hour): 32.0 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not into partial soaking to try to shrink just part of the jeans. If I do keep them, I'll hit them with a couple of hot washes, and work on stretching the waist back out. 

It's hard to know what these will shrink like. Susumu shared his pre- and post- soak measurements with me, and they shrunk a bit, but the waist on his stretched back to nearly raw measurements. 

No way to return them (bought f/ 2nd) so if I decide not to keep them I'll have to try to sell them myself. 

Hey guys, My 710's arrived and was finally able to give them a soak. I did two cold soaks in the washer with a lot of agitation. I'm really on the fence similar to mpukas. The denim itself is fantastic, but I'm not sure about the fit. I'm a bigger guy, and have always wanted a pair of Samurai's but none of the fits seemed to work (5000 has too low of rise, and 510 is too big). Finally said fuck it and thought I could make the 710 work. 

What do you guys think? Too tight in the thighs? They're not uncomfortable but I wouldn't consider them comfortable either (could just be the denim. I've been only wearing my Fullcounts for the past few months which are practically pajama pants).  There a little tight in the hip region but with a bit of stretch they'd be okay. Also, it could be the massive cuffs leading to a weird silloutte. I would hem them but want to wait since it'd probably be very difficult to sell a pair with a  29" inseam... Also sorry for crappy pics.

21j97uv.jpg

r7n42x.jpg

@d-rew12 - I think they look pretty good on you. The thighs/hips look snug, but not super tight. Looks like a good fit for that cut. I think with a hem and cuffed/uncuffed they'd look better. All that extra fabric makes them look a little off right now. Comfort is a personal choice, and no one can judge that from pics, but in my experience over time jeans will stretch to fit your body. 

D-rew: I think think they are right on the edge but not overly tight.  With a hem I think they will look pretty good, and as long as they aren't uncomfortable I would say keep them.

Thanks for the opinion guys! I definitely agree they need a hem. I was just hesitant since I was going to get them hemmed to a 29" inseam that it would be really hard to sell. But I decided to say screw it and i'm going to take them in on Tuesday. 

I think they look a little tight, and you don't know for sure that all the shrinkage is even out.... more pictures from the side and the back would probably help!

I'll try and grab a few pics from the side and rear. I know I've heard that Samurais shrink with multiple washes, but I did two cold washes with high agitation and a high spin cycle in the washer. They didn't really shrink at all after the initial shrink was out, so I figured as long as I keep them in cold water, I would be okay.

Edit: Here are some updated pics, for the ass photo, I did lean a but forward so it looks tighter than it is. Don't want to re-take since my friends were all giving me weird looks for taking photos of myself...

2zqbqrp.jpg

14mylag.jpg

r0dr3p.jpg

Edited by d-rew12

If you want to insure you get all the shrink out, try a hot wash. 

re: hemming vs reselling - if you're planning on cuffing them, perhaps consider a longer inseam length and cuff them with a little stacking. just a thought to share. 

If you want to insure you get all the shrink out, try a hot wash. 

re: hemming vs reselling - if you're planning on cuffing them, perhaps consider a longer inseam length and cuff them with a little stacking. just a thought to share. 

Sadly, if I hot soak, there is a 0% chance I'll fit into them... Also, the 29" inseam is with a single cuff and a little bit of stacking... Weirdly enough, I am 5'10" just have legs the length of a 5'2" person.

Those look great Max! It's truly amazing how you can beat up a pair of jeans in such a short amount of time, LOL! 

How do you like this 500OG cut vs the 710OG? Reading some of the comments about their release there seemed to be some question/concern about how the cut was going to be. 

Is it the same denim? 

@all - I have a question regarding my S510OG's: 

If I wash them to see how much they shrink, would it devalue them if I tried to sell them? Significantly? Thanks. mpp

i think it depends on who's looking. Are we talking first wash or subsequent washes? If it's first or even second I really don't think it should, as you're doing the shrinking for the person you sell it too, if you do decide.

Anyone have experience of Samurai's 25oz denim? I'm wondering how much it shrinks and stretches and does it go beyond 25oz with a soak?

@mega - I have the S510XX 25oz GA 15th.  It shrinks a bit when washed, but stretches back with wear. The size 34 is too big for me, and I've tried to shrink them with a hot wash and dryer. The waist went from 35 raw unwashed, 32 when washed hot and dried, and stretches out to about 34. Excluding the hem length, all other measurements lost about 0.5", and stayed that way. 

I have no idea how much it increased in weight by washing. The denim was incredibly stiff when new, but relaxed a lot and now is rather supple with a good amount of heft. Given how the character has changed, it's hard to tell how much weight it gained. Compared to my IHxSE13 634s 23oz denim, which is sanforized, the Samurai 25oz is noticeably heavier. It's a looser weave and breathes better. 

His middle name is 'Fading'!

I would have preferred 'fucking' :ph34r:

Thank you. To answer the questions: The 710 had a bigger waisdt compared to the 500 (just a bit), but felt too tight for me in the top block. So I went for the more comfortable 500, that however ran 0,75" smaller in the waist. So it fits a lot snugger than my 500XX and it shrank a good amount (~1" waist, 2,5" inseam) with the initial washes. It will stretch, but if the fit tight in the beginning, I think it would be best to size p.