Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

The measurements you find at Denimio aren't measured by them. They just copied the official size chart from Samurai (just like 2ND does it).

I don't know where exactly Samurai measures though but be advised, that the official sizing chart isn't the most accurate one

thanks b_F

this is a x post fit pic of my s710xx (15th) from the 'what are your jeans doing today' thread. 

Coming up for a month old now and worn every day, even if only for a couple of hours in the evening after work...

Got my 5000vx 21oz arriving (hopefully) tomorrow and i'm pretty excited 'bout that. And yes, I am aware that just as summer starts is a daft time to break in something weighty,but pah. Sue me!

zhsL0Ho.png

It all depends on your heat tolerance. I couldn't survive one day in indonesia, not matter what trouseres I wore. And then there are guys that wear 25 oz denim there. I found the 19 oz too hot even on colder days, as the fabric is not very breathy and tightly woven.

Brad - your summers aren't that bad: Look at me rocking a t-shirt and shit!

xISHfdg.jpg?3

Admittedly that was a (very) long time ago...

Max and Cold Summer - that's fair points about the tight weave/personal taste.

I reckon I can manage the 19oz ok just from being a stubborn b'stard.

It's the 21oz i'm about to collect that i think might be the final straw (thread) as it were... They arrived at the parcelforce depot this morning and seeing as i'm working the next 6 days straight i've decided to go and pick 'em up. I've also decided to further terrorise my 710's by making the 10 mile round trip on my Cannondale. This is probably a really stupid idea 'cos it's just about to pour down with rain, which apparently at the moment is chock full of dust from the Sahara. Should make for an interesting cold wash...

Edited by Artisandenim

It all depends on your heat tolerance. I couldn't survive one day in indonesia, not matter what trouseres I wore. And then there are guys that wear 25 oz denim there. I found the 19 oz too hot even on colder days, as the fabric is not very breathy and tightly woven.

this is true. having been in singapore with it's heat and humidity. then in perth during summer which is known for it's heatwaves. it really depends on each individual. for me, it's absolutely fine having been accustomed to that weather.

Right, that was an effort... I'll put up measurements/fit pics etc as soon as, but initial reaction to the s5000vx 21oz;

First thought was: damn those legs look big. I'm thinking right away that I could've (perhaps should've) sized down one from the 710's which were already sized down one from my natural waist. There will be no gentle soaking for these bad boys - they are going straight in the machine.

The denim - while obviously thicker - already feels softer than the 710's and I'm really not sure if I'm disappointed with this because I'm a glutton for punishment, or pleased at the instant comfort!

These have me in quite a confused state if I'm honest. They are clearly beautifully made and I like the detailing (red/silver selvedge, arcs etc) but I think I'm still batting for the 710's at the moment. As long as the sizing works out after a wash (I had my worries with the 710's at first too - totally down to inexperience) I think i am going to really enjoy figuring out which I prefer and why.

Don't worry, many Samurai fits look awful in raw state. But I mut admit, that the 5000 or 510 sometimes don't look to flatering in bigger sizes, as the legs are huge when the waist is sized right. I can't say I find th 21 oz denim much softer, it just lacks some of the nice slubs, that's why I prefer the 19 oz.

Edited by Max Power

Have any of you ever had a problem with wearing your Sammies, then washing them (shrinking in the process) which leads to the fades not fitting your body as well? This happened with my pair of Imperials and I'm wondering if I should soak them in hot water soon so that I don't have to deal with it later then sooner. Let me know! (I've pre-soaked them 2x, but I feel like there's a lot of shrinkage left because I never did a wash.) 

Edited by Spitn2

Can only talk from my experience, buy I soaked my S5000vx twice in the hottest tap water before I started wearing them. Also after every wash I stretch the legs and waist.

For me the wrinkle fades matched up perfectly after wash, no problem there.

Have any of you ever had a problem with wearing your Sammies, then washing them (shrinking in the process) which leads to the fades not fitting your body as well? This happened with my pair of Imperials and I'm wondering if I should soak them in hot water soon so that I don't have to deal with it later then sooner. Let me know! (I've pre-soaked them 2x, but I feel like there's a lot of shrinkage left because I never did a wash.) 

Oh, that's only happened with... pretty much every pair of raw jeans I've ever worn. :unsure:

Even my sanforized selvedge Nudies had this problem.

I gave my S710s a hot spin in the washing machine when I got them, and when I washed four months later, they shrunk and the combs don't completely line up anymore.  Same thing happened on my 1001s, 3009s, and so on.

This is why I tell people to get your jeans completely, absolutely shrunk before you start wearing them.  Throw them in the dryer, hot wash them six times, do whatever it takes. 

What's really baffling to me though is how this somehow doesn't affect other people.  One guy can start wearing his Flat Heads after one 45-minute cold soak that hasn't nearly gotten all the shrinkage out, and wash for the first time at five or six months, have the jeans shrink a lot, and yet somehow the combs still line up perfectly.  It makes no sense to me, particularly since my body weight doesn't fluctuate at all or anything like that.

Mini-rant over.

I never had this problem. I just take out the Jeans of the machine, align the combs by hand a bit and put them on still damp (not wet!). So they stretch back and the combs set in just the way they were. If I would hot iron the jeans before putting them on, I figure the combs might set in at another place.

I mean, if you got 2" shrinkage out of the inseam by soaking them before the first wear and they shrink 1" more after the first wash (what would be much), the combs would sit 0,5" higher than before. This should not be an issue.

Got that with my R400H, but only the combs didn't match up. Not totally heartbroken over it. But I hot washed them twice before wearing them as well. 710s were fine though, and they were put through a double hot wash 4 months into their life.

I just received my first pair of S710XX Samurais from Hiro at BiG today and have yet to soak them.  The overall fit is fantastic, as is the 19 oz. denim, but I'm concerned about size.  I ordered 35 and am wondering if I should have gone with 36.  How much shrinkage should I expect with a hot soak and line dry?  More shrinkage with additional cold washes?  The overall fit and feel in their current raw/unwashed state -- a little extra room everywhere, but if they come in a full two inches in the waist, I may be in trouble.

Thanks,

John

I think you are going to be ok. I've been through 2 pairs of 710s and both ended up 1" larger than their raw measurement after a few washes and lots of wear. There is a LOT of stretch in these things if you need em. I'm not one of the "extreme size down" guys but I do think that, witht he 19oz denim at least, its a pair that you want sort of snug in the raw state.

I don't ever tumble dry so YMMV depending on your care regiment... 

I am thinking about letting my Lot.12 S0510XX (15oz Texas Cotton), Lot.10 S510XX19oz and Lot.12 S5000VX go.

The two 510s are once machine washed and maybe worn 5 times (no signs of fading) and the S5000VX are BNWT.

All pairs feature the old style arcs and of course red tab.

Hit me up with your offers.

edit: all size 34.

Oh, thanks Flo ;)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Yeah, should be fine John.

I'm a month into my 710's. I warm/hot soaked them twice and machine washed (on hand wash setting, no spin 40 degrees) once, mainly to get as much shrink out as possible before hemming, all in the first week. Line dried each time.

The first soak made all the difference, the next soak and wash did little or nothing really and I doubt i'll bother in future. My waist measures 30", I went for a tag size 29. The waist measurement progress:

New, pre soaks etc - 29.5

after all soaks/wash - 28

now (4 weeks later) - 30

ps Max - those are F'ing amazing. Excuse my ignorance but which are they?