What are you wearing today? (pics only)

MilSpex

much respect mil... seriously. i wouldnt dress like you, and maybe it is played out in some parts of the world, but you do it well. it never seems contrived, always confident and comfortable. keep on rocking your shit man... youre one of the real individuals here.

Word up Cheap Mother Fucker. and nice AirForce 2s..totally underrated shoe. :cool:

Just because you own a wrinkled Supreme t-shirt from 5 years ago, doesn't mean you automatically look good, and I think people on this board can't identify that.

so youre not only saying that Milspex doesn't have good style and looks like a bum, but also that all the people commenting on his looks are all wrong?

i think the fact that mil's rocking this style despite the fact that it was maybe overdone and is over now speaks more to his style being true to him than just jocking whatever else is going on... part of the reason his style gets sweated is because it looks right on him...people see that he's pulling it off and give him props even tho their style is usually totally different

Another perspective on Milspex style here, I sincerely don’t think he wears it like Japanese kids did in the late 90s; I think he does it a lot better (simpler, cleaner, more streamlined, better choice of particular pieces, knows when to size up/down and how to mix what he got). I’m really not a fan of street culture/hip-hop/skate/post-skate/Japanese streetwear whatever style and wasn’t back in 99-2000 (does that make me an old school hater and do I win something?) when that look was all over the place in Japan. I couldn’t give a damn about dunk collections and still enjoy his posts, especially as an ensemble. I like that there’s a very strong consistency from one picture to the next, from shapes to color to the pared down style of hiphoppery (yay, new word) that he rocks.

Yes his references are clearly delimited and assumed, but that’s also true for the post-goth high fashion freaks, wannabe garage rockers, American post-skaters and pretty much everyone else on the board, no? Fashion is all about conveying a message about yourself through the use of cultural signifiers; tight Lees would be boring if it wasn’t from the James Dean or Cowboy vibe you can get from them and without Vicious or the Ramones or Brando before them, leather jackets would just be about an idiot wearing a dead cow’s hide.

i totally enjoy seeing all the various styles in this thread, and some people pull their thing better off than others, but to point out and dis milspex in particular completely boggles my mind. he is about the only person here who looks pretty much completely different from anyone else and he pulls it off fantastic.

does he need to wear skinny jeans and a cardigan to get your approval, peteyross?

Another perspective on Milspex style here, I sincerely don’t think he wears it like Japanese kids did in the late 90s; I think he does it a lot better (simpler, cleaner, more streamlined, better choice of particular pieces, knows when to size up/down and how to mix what he got). I’m really not a fan of street culture/hip-hop/skate/post-skate/Japanese streetwear whatever style and wasn’t back in 99-2000 (does that make me an old school hater and do I win something?) when that look was all over the place in Japan. I couldn’t give a damn about dunk collections and still enjoy his posts, especially as an ensemble. I like that there’s a very strong consistency from one picture to the next, from shapes to color to the pared down style of hiphoppery (yay, new word) that he rocks.

Yes his references are clearly delimited and assumed, but that’s also true for the post-goth high fashion freaks, wannabe garage rockers, American post-skaters and pretty much everyone else on the board, no? Fashion is all about conveying a message about yourself through the use of cultural signifiers; tight Lees would be boring if it wasn’t from the James Dean or Cowboy vibe you can get from them and without Vicious or the Ramones or Brando before them, leather jackets would just be about an idiot wearing a dead cow’s hide.

very well said. fashion doesnt exist in a vacuum. everyone gets their influences from somewhere. this is coming from a wannabe garage rocker post indie art punk whatever.

just wear what you dig.

cheers to that

part of the reason why i respect the styles of cmf, fadetoblack, mils, cult, canice and good ol" highstreet back in the day, among others(apologies if you haven't been mentioned and dserve, is that ever since I saw their photos they've all stuck to their individual styles cause THEY like it, which is all that matters really.

cheers to that

part of the reason why i respect the styles of cmf, fadetoblack, mils, cult, canice and good ol" highstreet back in the day, among others(apologies if you haven't been mentioned and dserve, is that ever since I saw their photos they've all stuck to their individual styles cause THEY like it, which is all that matters really.

Add hap, djrajio, darkanimal, xcoldricex, and as of recent (from what I've noticed) mike lowery to that list.

Oh, and cmf... Nice to see you without the blurry phone pic haha.

Guest Fade to Black

nairb49, thanks for the mention. respect.

wearing the same thing today as i wore two days ago...heh just felt like it, none of this stuff has been washed/drycleaned in forever anyway. here's the pic:

Image000.jpg

Y's jacket and shirt

Urban outfitters belt

Dior jeans

Helmut Lang boots (not pictured)

edit: and my personal opinion on Milspex' look since that seems to be the hot topic of debate...i don't know enough about the street style scene as it is to comment on whether or not it's dated, played, fresh or whatever, but to me Milspex' style reminds me a lot of the kind of images seen in Larry Clark's work...except with maybe a somewhat Japanese take on it. I've never been able to pull off that look myself, but the whole attitude and aura of that aesthetic is one of my style influences, for sure. I think it's on point.

Add hap, djrajio, darkanimal, xcoldricex, and as of recent (from what I've noticed) mike lowery to that list.

Oh, and cmf... Nice to see you without the blurry phone pic haha.

of course, how could I forget. All really nice "individual" styles in their own right. well done guys. (and girls, tg76, couldn.t forget you)

this thread is really cool

like a fashion magazine with every style on the planet included (well not really, but at least lots of variety and openminded'ness, its cool to see that a hautecoutureguy like djraio who is an investmentbanker ? as i recall, is commenting on the same thread as streetwear maniac milspex) so much inspiration and information

this thread is really cool

like a fashion magazine with every style on the planet included (well not really, but at least lots of variety and openminded'ness, its cool to see that a hautecoutureguy like djraio who is an investmentbanker ? as i recall, is commenting on the same thread as streetwear maniac milspex) so much inspiration and information

which is funny, because when mil started this thread he got alot of hate for it. people didnt think it would work, or be good for the board.

over one million views later.........

tg... the pearls do it for me... and the cig...

looking good for a transgenderer

Sorry I turned this thread all introspective and what not re: my comments on MilSpex's style. My negative post was meant to be somewhat fastitious because of the "everyone's sweating MilSpex" comment. I just didn't get how my commentary was so sweatful of MilSpex so I came through with an overly critical assessment of him to clearly lay out that I was misunderstood.

Truthfully, I think MilSpex is rocking a tried and true style with tried and true brands. Hiroshi Fujiwara would be proud. He pulls it off well and seems to stick to what he knows (clearly he knows his streetwear). He appears to me like a mish mash of Hong Kong and Tokyo and for a white guy, he's pulling this off quite well. I live in New York now and I can tell you that nobody downtown is pulling this look off, especially people old enough to have a job.

Addressing some other responses, of course everyone's look is inspired by something and if someone's style works for them, you certainly don't need to change it just because it's not en vogue at the moment. I too once read TransCool, HotDog, StreetJack, etc in the late 90's but those magazines don't quite do it for me anymore and I've moved on. I still have remnants of that phase though, as I currently have a Head Porter briefcase sitting next to me.

For the record (just so people don't think I'm commenting without any basis) I also lived in Japan. The first time for only 2 months and the second time for a whole year in 2000-2001. I spent most of my time in Nagoya (but also spent time in Osaka, Kyoto, Kanazawa and Tokyo) which at the time was rather behind the times when it comes to streetwear. In fact, I think people were hyped about the bew Busy Works shop that was supposed to open back then. So if BAPE fell off in the late 90's in Japan, Nagoya was definitely late to the game. On a side note, someone told me recently that Nagoya had become a trendsetting city but perhaps that's with women only.

But anyway, I'll still stand by my comment that people's vision gets cloudy when certain brand names are being worn, particularly if it comes from Japan. Just like when RingRing says Japanese denim does not automatically mean it's great, I take the same view of Japanese streetwear. Hiroshi Fujiwara has a good eye for fashion/lifestyle products but they don't automatically look good on everyone. I think some people who haven't seen these brands in real life hold them up on a pedestal and can't really identify that the tag on the inside (or label on the outside) doesn't necessarily mean it looks good (MilSpex is a lucky example of someone who wears these brands and also looks good).

^^P.R..... understood.

its funny... i dont know shit about the brands mil rocks. until i came here i thought supreme was just a skate shop in ny. i try to not look at the brands people wear, but the whole of it. when i see mil, or any of the other good posters here, i see thier style, not the designers. that is style. when you can take a piece and make it your own insted of the piece making you look like that seasons collection, you have mastered it.

its the diversity that keeps me here. how boring would it be if everyone followed the rules? too much negativity lately. i could just say nice fits everyone but...

cheepmutha those levis look geat. resale? and i want my shirt back

sXXXei think you have inspired me to get a haircut

ftb glad you decided to stay

rirawin awesome pic. blair witch for sure

sister tg i said it before but that's probably my favorite thus far

sphoxx kick ass. and excellent fit on the pbjs.

nairb thanks for salutations

spex dont ever change

ok love fest over

indian summer. 85 degrees outside.

decided to shake off my malaise and go for a leisurely skate on the cruiser.

1003353to5.jpg

handmade t from depARTment

julian red nikkis

leather volcom cuff

suede skate hi

and the only vintage today is my sims

flat as a 2x4

bbx3.jpg

edit: hap below. nice and clean. id like to see that police shirt.

i have always borrowed other posters styles from this thread...

today it is the Milspex [and others...style pin roll..

borrowing.jpg

velvetmen polo love police t underneath

the flat head 3001 vans.jp sk8 hi

cult those all black suedes are v.fucken nice

great stuff goin down in WDYW today. cult, thats what im talkin about with the cruiser. Shit is huge!.

hap doin it with the flat heads, those look awesome......when are you gonna start with the random posed pictures again? those were awesome......that one with the street guy in the hat? classic.

Milspex, sXXXe, respect.....btw, i am going to buy those am1's this week.......